Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Curt 11394 vs. Draw-Tite 24916

Curt 11394
    Attachment 5352

Draw-Tite 24916
    Attachment 5354

Any recommendation?
    I installed the draw tire today and it was a pia. There are no built in nut zurcks. You need to run the 4 bolts and plates with a coiled spring through the frame rail and then bolt the hitch to the bottom. Otherwise, looks great on the Mirage.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-30-2016),MetroMPG (05-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's how most hitch installs are. On older ford trucks you have to drill out the frame for the hitch. I thought it was pretty easy, the ford truck hitches are much more difficult. Mirage hitch took about 30 minutes, only have to drill out the driver side I think
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    That's how most hitch installs are. On older ford trucks you have to drill out the frame for the hitch. I thought it was pretty easy, the ford truck hitches are much more difficult. Mirage hitch took about 30 minutes, only have to drill out the driver side I think
    I have never had to do this before now, and I didn't have to drill anything. My previous Kia optima, both Hyundai elantras, and Ford zx2 had zurcks already welded in and bolts just tightened in, way easier than this was.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Good thing I read reviews and opinions first before buying this. I think I need to more info before I do
    Huh?.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Huh?.
    I thought the same thing. We will have to keep watch on this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyone else have concerns on how this could affect the warranty in the USA?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandjerry00 View Post
    Might effect warranty because the mirage is "not for towing" but I'd ask a dealer and just say it's for a bike rack. A bike rack shouldn't void warranty.

I'm looking at buying a hitch for mine in the near future for towing a 4x8 trailer that will probably get loaded to 1500 pounds or so. I've removed the rear seats in my 2015 and have had over 800 pounds of gear with the addition of two people so a total coming to around 1200 pounds with no issues. It's also a manual so I use engine braking. Rides fairly stiff with the weight but doesn't bottom out even on the crappy roads around hear.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandjerry00 View Post
    I don't think it will avoid the warranty unless they have evidence of you towing. Im sure bike racks and a basket won't void the warranty.

If you have a bike rack or basket on when you claim the warranty then it might prove to them you didn't add it for towing.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Curt hitch took me about an hour to install including free store pickup at The Homely Creepo. (it was cheaper there at about $115US) running the bolts was annoying but installation was pretty smooth. I had friends around when doing it and it was quick enough that they didn't get bored and leave. My only slight annoyance with the Curt is that it doesn't clear the bottom of my bumper very well, and it's therefore hard to get the pin in and out. This may be due to the previous owner backing into something though, as my lower bumper tabs are broken off so it's not fully supported as from the factory. I chose the curt because it's design looked more robust than the draw-tite and installation doesn't require dropping the exhaust. Very happy so far.
    Name:  IMG_20170713_232051283.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by bzacon; 10-26-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Pic related
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Add me as another very happy Curt 11394 hitch owner. The actual install time minus self imposed issues was only 10 minutes. The passenger sides bolts pulled in under a minute each, the ubolt was a no-brainer and the driver's side took some fiddling but then went as smoothly as the passenger side. I lost the install sheet so just torqued them all at 900 ft/lbs. Two things I need to do before I can sign off on the job.

I forgot to nu-finish the hitch first. No big deal, I'll just drop a side at a time or something.

I need grease (help me on this one, I'm clueless) the receiver bar and the inside of the receiver tube, & the pin/spring.

The quality and fit of the hitch is perfect. The welds are great, visually, and the paint (baked epoxy?) is fantastic. I have installed hitches rated for more weight than the 11394 and yet there's only 1/3 of the metal in those hitches!!! Lol. Worst case, the Mirage can be picked up by the hitch and airlifted out of dodgy scenarios!! HAHA. Truly though, I'm not concerned AT ALL with the hitch or attachment points failing. Both Mitsu and Curt have thought this out and it's about as safe as can be short of 3x the work and 2x the metal. For $170 CDN., including the receiver, my opinion is that this is a great hitch for this car.

PS. I just checked the US site. $105 for the bare hitch FREE SHIPPING w/Prime. Amazon.CA is $199, FREE SHIPPING. 45014 BALL EXTENDER IS $30, 5" rise. Still overall a good deal.

Now, my good friend also owns a Mirage, I can't convince her to join here but I can still find help for her here, I hope. She bought the same hitch and it installed the same time as mine. She attached her (my) modified camper trailer and all looked OK. Then we loaded her Burgman onto it. It's a 400cc model, weight about 450lbs. The tongue is too low but that's an easy fix. What concerned us both was how far the rear wheels are pushed into the wells. I'll attach a pic later but from what I guess is a tongue weight of about ~125-150 lbs. the drop in the rear end is quite severe.

She (and I also) plan to swap out the Mitsu springs for a set that will keep the car level with a 125-150 lb. tongue wgt. and hopefully these springs won't make our handsome little car sit high in the rear end like a John Force funny car. Ideas?

TL;DR

Added a hitch and need spring advice

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)