Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After 3 years, FINALLY drove one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello Roberts and welcome to the forum.

This forum software has a garage feature where we post anything and everything about our Mirages. This makes it easy to refer to in discussion.
    Garage empty: add car

Let us know if you have any questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Well, I went back and drove both a CVT and the same 5 speed I drove before. The brakes felt stronger this time around and after looking at the discs, I think accumulated rust was the culprit for the poor brake strength the first time around. This time around, I also felt less apprehensive about the power. The 5 speed definitely feels sportier and has more oomph from 2-4 gear. The CVT was the big surprise. It actually wasn't half bad and feels stronger off the line although the sound effects are uh interesting (wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee). The simulated kick down when prodding the gas felt like a normal automatic dropping down a gear and Ds mode does help it feel peppier. Since I already have 2 manual trannys, I actually considered getting the CVT since it would make trying to drive and run my business at the same time easier. I sat down and talked numbers but I just couldn't stomach the significant increase in price from advertised levels so I walked out. They offered $14630 out the door although they may have been willing to come down some from that (I think there was $500-700 I could have had removed). It's shocking to see that number when it's advertised at $8400....granted I knew I wasn't eligible for most of the rebates included in that price, but geez, nearly double the price?! They first came at me with $15600 but when I added their own numbers, the total was $1k less. The sales manager claimed he thought it was a G4, thus the $1k higher price and apologized and said I was right...ugghh, I wonder how many poor souls didn't even check the math and got duped by that tactic?? Anyway, does $14k out the door sound reasonable for an SE CVT or is that still too high?

By the way, the CVT had the same steering wheel cocked to the left issue! Is this an epidemic on these cars or something?? Obviously, if I bought, I'd make them straighten it before I left.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    Anyway, does $14k out the door sound reasonable for an SE CVT or is that still too high?
    Not too bad, but if you are serious get on the phone and start calling other dealers and get their best prices. I think you can do better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (10-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not too bad, but if you are serious get on the phone and start calling other dealers and get their best prices. I think you can do better.
    Agreed. Pretty good if we are talking about an '18, but I think you can do a little better if it's a '17.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (10-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It actually sounds like a better deal than I got because yours is a CVT which presumably is more expensive. In any case, it is certainly within the ballpark. If you do decide to get it, ask to have the alignment checked. It's your money and you have a right to get a car in mint condition when paying that price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bolo For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (10-27-2017)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I paid around $14k out the door. Well they did add some add-on features for free such as Bluetooth. The price was lower than what Kelly Blue Book said for my area.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (10-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I sat down and talked numbers..
    Uh oh...this is when it's time to go home and negotiate from your keyboard.

...I just couldn't stomach the significant increase in price from advertised levels
    ...It's shocking to see that number when it's advertised at $8400...
    Were you at RC Hill or something? They consistently advertise the lowest prices in the country, but I have no clue how they arrive at their numbers (and it sure isn't explained on their website!). Here's a typical 2017 SE CVT they have listed for $8630...which is almost 50% off of MSRP?!?

Name:  rchill.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  67.7 KB

They offered $14630 out the door...
    With sales taxes and dealer fees varying around the country, it's tough to make an apples-to-apples comparison. What is the price of the car excluding sales tax and fees? How much are all of the dealer fees including doc/admin fees, license, title, etc?

They first came at me with $15600 but when I added their own numbers, the total was $1k less.
    The sales manager claimed he thought it was a G4, thus the $1k higher price and apologized...
    At least you had the good judgement to walk out. Unfortunately, this sounds like typical cheesy dealer tactics. If you insist on doing business with these guys, I would do all your negotiating through email at this point and not return there until you have a firm price on a purchase order.

By the way, the CVT had the same steering wheel cocked to the left issue!
    Is this an epidemic on these cars or something??
    Obviously, if I bought, I'd make them straighten it before I left.
    It sounds like you haven't read this thread. This could be a serious problem that can't be fixed in 20 minutes. A simple alignment check would tell you what the problem is.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This could be a serious problem that can't be fixed in 20 minutes.
    Or it could just be a steering correction from driving along a road crowned for drainage. I had this with mine. When I took my Speck in for the first free oil change I mentioned the steering. My dealer checked the alignment, adjusted what they could, and replaced my rear axle for free. Mitsubishi & my dealer took care of it all under warranty.

But Top_Fuel has a point - one early flaw has been rear axle alignment. It's a good idea to get it checked, especially within the first year of ownership when all adjustments are covered.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-25-2017 at 02:59 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-25-2017)

The simulated kick down when prodding the gas felt like a normal automatic dropping down a gear
    Actually, that's not simulated. The CVT has a 2-speed sub-gearbox in addition to the belt & pulleys. If you pay attention, you can feel the upshifts & downshifts.

See thread: Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

but when I added their own numbers, the total was $1k less. The sales manager claimed he thought it was a G4, thus the $1k higher price and apologized and said I was right...ugghh, I wonder how many poor souls didn't even check the math and got duped by that tactic??
    Sounds slimy.

Like the salesman who lured my friend into his dealership with an "all in / out the door" price given over the phone... and then "Oops - we forgot to add in the shipping costs! How silly of us. Sorry!" He also walked out, and bought elsewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (10-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tell them to kick rocks if they bait and switched you. I'd NEVER sit down and talk numbers at a dealership. I made that mistake as a 20yr old long ago and sat there talking payment amount and they wore me down for 4 hours, it was a very memorable time due to how terrible it was. Never again. I only deal via computer and then phone if computer is going well (I like to hear the voice behind the computer eventually) tells me a lot usually.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (10-27-2017)