Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drain plug crush washer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

good advice/option

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I take the factory one off and throw it in the garbage during the first oil change. It's way easier to remove that way! Then just use an aluminum one that LOOKS like this:https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Engine-Washer-Gaskets-94109-140-00/dp/B00X8DDMQA I don't know the size off hand. They last a long time if you don't want to replace them every time and aren't a pita to remove.
    I agree with Fummins' advice/suggestion. I haven't had my Mirage that long, but one of my former vehicles (2000 Honda CRV) had the aluminum drain plug gasket. I always kept a spare aluminum gasket handy, but they seldom needed to be replaced. Honda suggested replacing them with each oil change, but I found that not to be necessary. They lasted through several oil changes, and I owned that vehicle for years with no issues.

Tossing the original crushed washer is the thing to do for sure. The original washer is easy to overlook, because it's crushed so thin & painted black like the drain plug. Others have mentioned this, but places like AutoZone have assortment packs. Living over 10 miles from town, I had bought one of these prior to my first oil change. I didn't want to make a second trip to town for a lousy washer, & I was a little uncertain on what I would need the first time doing this.

Within the AutoZone pack (M14), I would feel comfortable using the aluminum gasket, copper gasket, and the one that is a combination of metal/rubber. The nylon gaskets seems sort of thick for the shortness of the stock drain plug threads, but they may even be ok. I lean toward using the aluminum or copper gaskets, because I have had good luck with them on a different car.

I have always done my own oil changes. I have never used a Fumoto oil drain plug valve, but I am giving it some consideration. Since the drain hole is on the back side of the oil pan, I would feel comfortable using a Fumoto valve if it doesn't stick out to much below the oil pan. I would appreciate anyone's insight on that. Would one Fumoto style (for example: F106, F106S, or F106SX) work better than another on a Mirage oil pan?

I appreciate everyone's great advice on this forum! Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I take the factory one off and throw it in the garbage during the first oil change. It's way easier to remove that way! Then just use an aluminum one that LOOKS like this:[urlhttps://amzn.to/2q4DhGx]https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Engine-Washer-Gaskets-94109-140-00/dp/B00X8DDMQA[/url] I don't know the size off hand. They last a long time if you don't want to replace them every time and aren't a pita to remove.
    Are those the exact ones? Do you use them on the fleet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    F106SX can be more easily positioned.

P.S. wait for a Fumoto sale on either their product or shipping.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-06-2018 at 03:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Are those the exact ones? Do you use them on the fleet?
    No they aren't. I don't know if they'll work on the Mirage. The ones I get look similar. I get them from the dealer when I get oil filters, they just come in a plain bag. I assume the dealer must buy them in bulk and not even use the oem crush type washer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No they aren't. I don't know if they'll work on the Mirage. The ones I get look similar. I get them from the dealer when I get oil filters, they just come in a plain bag. I assume the dealer must buy them in bulk and not even use the oem crush type washer.
    Oh so they have them in bulk packs at the mitsu dealers? I'll just ask for aluminum washers then?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I installed the Ez Oil Drail valve (Canadian version of the Fumoto valve) on my Mirage. Added the right angle hose attachment to it. Very happy with it. The right angle is too much if the car is on ramps (would be better at 45 degrees) but it is great if you don't want to use ramps. Which is possible if you have long arms and this valve, and a small pan (I use disposable aluminum foil pans). If you do it this way, you don't have to jack the car up at all after installing the valve.

Make sure you install it tight and do NOT use a gasket except for the integrated one with the valve. I had to use a wrench to get mine tight enough and in the right position.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    For those of you in Canada, find a local distributor for the valve. I didn't pay anything more than the website price, but no shipping and had it within a couple of hours here in the GTA (Went to Albion Auto Parts).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-06-2018),mohammad (05-08-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd be worried about something like a rock bouncing up and knocking that thing off and you would never know it until your engine starts knocking when it's out of oil.
    Cool concept though. If there was a guard in front maybe.
    I really want to one of these on each of my Burgman's but that my exact worry, knocking it off. I bottom out the Burgs quite often entering parking lots, moreso with a passenger.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    F106SX can be more easily positioned.
    I have this one, I can't remember off the top of my head how much it's exposed, but it should be less than the fixed position models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Oh so they have them in bulk packs at the mitsu dealers? I'll just ask for aluminum washers then?
    The dealer I deal with has them, can't say for sure if every other dealer stocks them them like that? I assume they should know what you need at the parts counter.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)