Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    Yes it was feom a Mitsubishi and Honda dealer. The rear shows red. I wish I knew how to attach the printout. When I called them on it, the service manager got defensive like I was accusing them of lying about the problem. It is 1.8 out of spec on right and .51 out of spec on left rear
    They basically say "nothing is wrong and it passed, however printout shows fail"
    It can be difficult to keep cool and level-headed when trying to straighten out problems with confrontational individuals such as what you are describing from the service manager.

It might help to give things a day or two to rest then go back to the dealership to try again. Give the service manager another chance to see things your way. If he won't cooperate, try the dealer manager or owner. If they won't cooperate, you might as well call Mitsubishi Corporate.

See, you have clear documentation of a problem that the dealership cannot deny. If the dealership service department were doing their job correctly, it is my understanding that these results are to be posted to your Mitsubishi service record and should be available to Mitsubishi Corporate to review.

To me it appears you have caught this person in a lie, as you have prepared yourself with the knowledge and understanding of alignments and were able to interpret the results right there in front of him. You caught him lying, and that embarrassed him and put him on the defensive. No surprise really.

This shouldn't happen to anyone, much less you. And it sounds as if that man is not really ready to be a service manager. From that perspective, you might as well skip over dealing with the service manager and give the dealership manager or owner a chance to make this right. And share with them that if this cannot be resolved at this level you will be calling Mitsubishi Corporate for guidance.

I wish there were more we could do to help, but I think you have what you need to see this through. Do keep us updated Premeir620 - I hope you are able to work this out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Your printout clearly shows that your left rear toe is well out of the proper specification. That's your main problem...

Name:  toe1.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  49.5 KB

To help visually understand what this means, take a look at this diagram below. Your left rear tire is pointing inward slightly while your other 3 tires are pointing straight ahead...

Name:  toe2.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  5.8 KB

Your left rear tire is almost being dragged along the road as the car moves. That tire will wear out prematurely.

Eggman is giving you great advice. Give it a couple of days to cool off, and then make an appointment to have your rear alignment corrected. Keep a level head because you will need the Service Manager to be moderately cooperative to get this solved. The technician working on your car probably told the Service Manager that they can't align the rear end and this is the best they can do. Well...in his mind he's correct because he likely doesn't know that Mitsubishi will replace your entire rear axle to correct this issue. It's important that you (politely) ask the Service Manager to contact the Mitsubishi Tech Line and open a case with them (go to post #2 and read #27 carefully for a full explanation).
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-12-2018),Gnarles2 (07-27-2018),mitsumi (01-15-2018),poorman1 (01-13-2018)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi guys! Not sure if there are other members from Australia here.

I've a 2014 Mirage with CVT that is Made in Thailand. I bought it used at 45K km with new tyres(now I see the connection). It is still under 5 years / 130000 km warranty.

Had my wheels aligned today at an Independent tyre shop and the measurements they provided are below. I was surprised to find that rear axle alignment was way-off when compared to the front. Started researching this on the web, realized that rear axle alignment is not adjustable and ended up here.

Name:  alignment.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  96.9 KB
    Although Top_fuel has posted the specifications for Mirage rear alignment, I'm not sure how to convert my numbers from mm to degrees. Is rear axle alignment for my Mirage within specifications? Has any member from Australia been able to have this fixed under warranty?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by aussie-geek; 02-04-2018 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Add units km to avoid confusion with miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello aussie-geek and welcome to the forum. We have more than a few members here from Australia.

Here's the alignment specifications from the service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Remy, I found the following info in the 2015 service manual.

Suspension Specifications 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage
    Front Toe-in At the center of tire tread mm (in) 0 ± 3 (0.0 ± 0.1)
    Front Camber 0°05' ± 0°45' *
    Front Caster 4°00' ± 0°45'
    Front Kingpin inclination 11°35' ± 1°30'
    Rear Toe-in At the center of tire tread mm (in) 2.5 ± 3 (0.10 ± 0.12)
    Camber -1°00' ± 0°45' *
    NOTE: *: Difference between right and left wheels must be 0°30' or less.
    I could be wrong but it appears your rear axle is within specifications. Still, it would be worth asking your dealer about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks Eggman!
    The rear axle seems to be in-spec per the screenshot you've posted, but if I convert the numbers to degrees, then the toe measurements fall out of range posted by Top_Fuel.

Found a conversion chart online for conversion of mm to degrees(look at 14" column as tire size is 165/65R14) :
    http://www.trackace.co.uk/Manual/Conversion%20Chart.pdf

If I convert toe measurements for my Mirage to degrees then both toes falls out of the range specified by Top_Fuel:
    Left Toe : +3.3 mm = 0 degrees 32 minutes = +0.53°
    Right Toe = +1.9mm = 0 degrees 19 minutes = +0.32°

Do you see any problem with above calculations?
    Haven't had a chance to call up the dealer yet(been busy at work). Will try to do it as early as possible, as this is getting very confusing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to aussie-geek For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a great chart, and very useful here. I'll save a copy. Too bad it's not smaller it would be helpful to attach to your post for future reference.

I'm not smart enough at math to calculate these numbers! I'll have to trust others' work on this.

Beyond all that, here's hoping your dealer will settle things.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Should I try to get the axle replaced?

Do you think that I'm far enough out of spec to warrant replacing the axle?
    Name:  miragealignment.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  89.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    Do you think that I'm far enough out of spec to warrant replacing the axle?
    My first thought is this...some of the specifications on your alignment printout don't match up with what I have.

For example, the rear Toe specification for the Mirage is 0.28 to -0.03 degrees. That would mean your rear toe (0.25) is acceptable. I have a rear wheel that has a toe reading of 0.23 and I am not seeing any odd tire wear...but I do rotate the tires religiously every 5,000 miles.

The rear camber specification is -1.8 to -0.3 degrees. So your left rear camber is slightly out at -0.5 degrees.

So if we're talking about a low-mileage Mirage, I think I would tell you to put some miles on it and closely monitor the tread depth of your left rear tire (buy a $5 tread depth gauge). If it starts to show an odd wear pattern, head to the dealer. If you're about to go out of your 5 year/60K mile warranty, then just head to the dealer now.

Hopefully wherever you had this done, you at least got your FRONT end aligned. As you can see from your printout, your front end needs to be aligned!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-28-2018),Joni (02-28-2018)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  rear-axle.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  89.1 KB

Well, I finally had the car checked. The good news is the rear axle is within spec, but not by much. The rear left is a 0.22° (max is 0.28°). I guess it's close enough, eh?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Well, I finally had the car checked. The good news is the rear axle is within spec, but not by much. The rear left is a 0.22° (max is 0.28°). I guess it's close enough, eh?
    Yeah, I understand the right rear is usually the one out of alignment.

How many miles on your tires and are you able to measure the tread depth? I bought a tread depth gauge and note depth at oil changes.