Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The infamous hill holder on the '17 (how to disable)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its likely integrated into the ABS unit.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Follow the brake line and unplug the stupid thing?
    If only for liability purposes, this would be a Bad Idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Its likely integrated into the ABS unit.
    Possibly! But worth a look. If it is, it's likely a software option and de-selectable i would think?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If only for liability purposes, this would be a Bad Idea.
    Liability schmileability! Unless the accident is you rolling backward into Someone on a hill... I think you'll be ok.. Besides.. It's better than wrecking with a breakout board wired into Your dash.... No?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Liability schmileability! Unless the accident is you rolling backward into Someone on a hill... I think you'll be ok.. Besides.. It's better than wrecking with a breakout board wired into Your dash.... No?
    Oh, I disagree. From what I understand, isn't this function served by the anti-lock brake controller?

And while I think the timer circuit is clever, it's not something I would do myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Oh, I disagree. From what I understand, isn't this function served by the anti-lock brake controller?

And while I think the timer circuit is clever, it's not something I would do myself.
    It Sounds like you know more about it than i do. I can take a picture of my abs module and post it up if you would like? I do not have hill assist (that i am aware)

And totally agree... Much respect given to the individual who wired it in. Most people just don't have the nuts. I just found it odd you question my method but not his.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It appears that the Hill Start Assist (HSA) is integrated into the Active Stability Control (ASC) system. By turning the ASC off it also shuts off the HSA.
    How is this done?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    How is this done?
    Just push and hold the traction control button until the light turns on the dash. This turns off the traction control system (TCS), the anti-skid control (ASC) and the anti-locking braking system (ABS). Hill Start Assistance is a part of the anti-skid control. Turning off the ASC should also turn off the HSA but no one has confirmed this yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Owner's Manual Says:

It's Saturday. This calls for another chart/table. This one in quotes!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's Manual Page 2-4

If this warning light comes on or flashes while you’re driving...

Warning Lights
    Do this
    Ref. Page

ASC indicator
    • Park your vehicle in a safe place and stop the engine. Restart the engine and check whether the indicator goes out.
    • If the indicator does not go out, or if it comes on again, have your vehicle inspected by an authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer or a repair facility of your choice as soon as possible.
    • When this indicator comes on, the hill start assist is not functioning. Start off carefully on a steep uphill slope.
    P. 5-46
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's Manual Page 5-45 through 5-46

Hill start assist (if so equipped)

The hill start assist makes it easy to start off on a steep uphill slope by preventing the vehicle from moving backwards. It keeps the braking force for about 2 second when you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.

CAUTION
    • Do not overly rely on the hill start assist to prevent backwards movement of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances, even when hill start assist is activated, the vehicle may move backwards if the brake pedal is not sufficiently depressed, if the vehicle is heavily loaded, or if the road is very steep or slippery.
    • The hill start assist is not designed to keep the vehicle stopped in place on uphill slopes for more than 2 seconds.
    • When facing uphill, do not rely on using the hill start assist to maintain a stopped position as an alternative to depressing the brake pedal.
      Doing so could cause an accident.

CAUTION
    • Do not perform the following operation while the hill start assist is operating.
      [Except for vehicles equipped with the F.A.S.T.-key]
      Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” or “ACC” position.
      [Vehicles equipped with the F.A.S.T.-key]
      Put the operation mode in OFF or ACC. The hill start assist could stop operating, which could result in an accident.

To Operate
    1. Stop the vehicle completely using the brake pedal.
    2. Place the selector lever into the “D” position.

NOTE
    • When reversing on an uphill slope, place the
      selector lever into the “R” position.

3. Release the brake pedal and the hill start assist will maintain the braking force applied while stopping for approximately 2 seconds.
    4. Depress the accelerator pedal and the hill start assist gradually will decrease the braking force as the vehicle starts moving.

NOTE
    • The hill start assist is activated when all of the following conditions are met.

• The engine is running. (The hill start assist will not be activated while the engine is starting or immediately after the engine is started.)
    • The selector lever is in any position other than “P” or “N”.
    • The vehicle is completely stationary, with the brake pedal depressed.
    • The parking brake is released.

• The hill start assist will not operate if the accelerator pedal is depressed before the brake pedal is released.
    • The hill start assist also operates when reversing on an uphill slope.
    • When the hill start assist is activated, you may feel the operating sound or vibration from under the body. This is a normal result of the hill start assist operation, and does not indicate a problem.

Warning indicator
    If an abnormal condition occurs in the system, the following indicator will turn on.

ASC indicator

Caution
    • If the warning is displayed, the hill start assist will not operate. Start off carefully.
    • Park your vehicle in a safe place and stop the engine.
      Restart the engine and check whether the indicator goes out, in which case the hill start assist is again working normally.
      If they remain displayed or reappear frequently, it is not necessary to stop the vehicle immediately, but the vehicle should be inspected by an authorized Mitsubishi Motors dealer or a repair facility of your choice as soon as possible.
    Why do companies state all these warnings about the safety features of what they sell? Because companies are held liable when someone gets hurt and they don't let others know about it.

It Sounds like you know more about it than i do.
    Naw - I just read the manual.

I can take a picture of my abs module and post it up if you would like? I do not have hill assist (that i am aware)
    If you have a CVT, your Hill Start Assist is activated.

And totally agree... Much respect given to the individual who wired it in. Most people just don't have the nuts. I just found it odd you question my method but not his.
    Just as a reminder, while I admire the solution, I would neither do it myself nor would I recommend others do it.

Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I ended up designing an electronic timer circuit to pulse the wire that goes from the hand brake sensor switch every time i release the foot brake. It effectively blips the brake warning light on for about a tenth of a second (barely noticable) which disables the hill holder when i release the foot brake. I included a switch to return the hill holder to normal if I want. Its kind of a clunky way to do it but I could find no other way to disable that irritating hill holder.
    And daleWV does not recommend others do it either. By contrast, you have suggested (recommended?) someone disable a safety feature designed by the manufacturer.

Follow the brake line and unplug the stupid thing?
    With that modification, liability would be transferred to 1. the one who makes this modification and 2. the operator of the vehicle, depending on if the operator knew of the modification (in the instance of loaning the car out to another, for example.)

Obviously, I can't stop someone from making any such modification to their car. For whatever reason, some part of me (OCD??) feels compelled to at least warn others of the potential hazards borne with certain modifications. Maybe it's part of what I do for a living, or part of what I've seen and heard through my life, or a desire to protect either myself or my family from others who try something like this.

If I may make an attempt at an apology and/or explanation, please don't be offended by my silly protest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I certainly did eggman. Because he came here asking about it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Just push and hold the traction control button until the light turns on the dash. This turns off the traction control system (TCS), the anti-skid control (ASC) and the anti-locking braking system (ABS). Hill Start Assistance is a part of the anti-skid control. Turning off the ASC should also turn off the HSA but no one has confirmed this yet.
    The abs still activates with the traction control off