Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Yeah I hear you there. I'd be a little concerned about a having problems with a cheap econo car as well. But from what I've myself (for 2015's and 2017's) these are pretty reliable and trouble free. Hopefully there are more aftermarket parts for these cars in the near future.
    Even looking up used parts can be somewhat a pain unless you find an intelligent counter person willing to help or a pick a part yard. Wreckers usually aren't able to interchange anything cause the programs they use doesn't include the mirage for some reason. I tried last week at a friends auto wrecker which uses on Car-part.com. You can look up parts but it just gives a generic part number and you have to figure out what fits on your own or try to use the interchange on rockauto. If you look up cv axle it won't give you the option of cvt or mt. Or if you look up transmission it doesn't give you an option. I tried to explain this to someone on this forum once before but I don't think I got my point across.
    I'm kinda surprised that they don't have a water pump available aftermarket yet, I'm not able to get rear drums either. But I haven't needed either of those yet. The Mirage's are holding together much better than the 1- 14' spark we had, that thing was a piece of crap from the get go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
    You seem to rack up miles almost as fast as me, I have 206,000 on a 09 cobalt xfe, I drive easy, minimize brakes etc. trying to get good FE, still original brakes. $3-400 worth of parts, in that time. I think the Mirage is built every bit as good as a Cobalt, and better than the 03 Malibu I drove to 265,000 till daughter wrecked it with $7-800 worth of parts, biggest being a fuel pump, next being $120 each front wheel bearings on both.

Even the 98 stratus that I junked in December had 260,000 with just a $6-700 in parts, but I didn't fix the AC when it quit or PS sometime after 200,000. I think the key is all but the Stratus I got at fairly low miles and just did regular maintenance and they just keep working. The Stratus I got from the in-law so it was known and dealer serviced, I got it around 100,000.

Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, somebody has posted a video on you tube of about any repair you'd even need to do. If I need to do something I haven't done before I go find a video.
    Those prices seem awfully high. $40 a piece for hubs and $70 fuel pump(without sending unit) for a malibu and that's canadian.
    I agree, regular maintenance makes all the difference. It's pretty funny seeing a newer car needing an engine with a thick layer of sludge in the valve cover cause they rarely if ever changed Oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah I hear you there. I'd be a little concerned about a having problems with a cheap econo car as well. But from what I've myself (for 2015's and 2017's) these are pretty reliable and trouble free. Hopefully there are more aftermarket parts for these cars in the near future.
    Even looking up used parts can be somewhat a pain unless you find an intelligent counter person willing to help or a pick a part yard. Wreckers usually aren't able to interchange anything cause the programs they use doesn't include the mirage for some reason. I tried last week at a friends auto wrecker which uses on Car-part.com. You can look up parts but it just gives a generic part number and you have to figure out what fits on your own or try to use the interchange on rockauto. If you look up cv axle it won't give you the option of cvt or mt. Or if you look up transmission it doesn't give you an option. I tried to explain this to someone on this forum once before but I don't think I got my point across.
    I'm kinda surprised that they don't have a water pump available aftermarket yet, I'm not able to get rear drums either. But I haven't needed either of those yet. The Mirage's are holding together much better than the 1- 14' spark we had, that thing was a piece of crap from the get go.
    I noticed on ebay there seems to be a lot of Mirage parts from a company called LKQ. They claim to be the biggest used part supplier in the US or something like that.

When it comes to cars there's strength in numbers. I didn't really think about that when I bought the Mirage. I'm pretty happy so far with it, but right now I'm leaning towards the Yaris for my next car. It'll depend on how close the price is. Under 2K difference I'm probably going with the Yaris. If it's more than around 4k I'll probably end up with another Mirage.

I wonder if the Yaris rear axle alignment is adjustable? If I get another Mirage first thing I'm doing is checking the alignment before I buy it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Our two 17s had fine axles. For the price I wouldn't mind needing to pick up a few items from dealer if needed.
    I got these cars much less than any yaris I have seen. About 4k less. 10.5 each for SE 5spds. I am pretty sure they are more well equipped than a yaris regardless of price. And I'm a Toyota fan. I have a 16 Tundra trd.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
    I don't mind buying tools and are often cheaper than paying someone else the labor.
    I'm trying an in between philosophy. I bought an engine tester so I can try to figure out what's wrong and order the part. But I don't really enjoy working on the car. I get too aggravated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

What kind of warranty do you get with a Yaris?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    When it comes to cars there's strength in numbers. I didn't really think about that when I bought the Mirage.
    Ironically, the Mirage has outsold the Yaris every year since it was re-introduced to the U.S. in 2014.

The Yaris, however, has a much longer history. Which is why there are so many more parts options. The 6th gen Mirage is a newcomer by comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-07-2017),El Kapitan (07-24-2017),Fummins (06-08-2017),Madison320 (06-08-2017),Pryme (06-08-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know, I might tend to agree on the Yaris costing much less. I'm getting a little sick of buying $42 air filters from the dealership...on an economy car. It seems like there is very little aftermarket support for the Mirage. Spark plugs were difficult to find, could only find them in a 4 pack- $50 later. It seems like a car that nickle and dimes you to death.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I don't know, I might tend to agree on the Yaris costing much less. I'm getting a little sick of buying $42 air filters from the dealership...on an economy car. It seems like there is very little aftermarket support for the Mirage. Spark plugs were difficult to find, could only find them in a 4 pack- $50 later. It seems like a car that nickle and dimes you to death.
    Just curious why you're spending so much on an air filter?

https://www.rockauto.com/xx/cart/?ca...912846e386fe42

Price CAD$ including shipping to Edmonton

Plus if you use the coupon codes they are always posting on the forum you could get it even cheaper!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-08-2017),Eggman (06-08-2017),MetroMPG (06-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    If you go to the dealer for everything. Yes. I just grab wix air filters #wa10125 they seem to be made just as good if not better than stock. I've tried a couple chepo off brand air filters cause that was all I could get in a hurry, I don't recommend them! Much lighter, flimsy and has far less surface area to capture dirt. They look like they be clogged in no time. The cabin air filters can get pricey, just pick up the cheapo ones if you change them often. Spark plugs only need to be changed til 168000k and you can buy them individually I always have them in stock at work when I need them. I'd replace them with the original iridium ones ngk 93298.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-08-2017),Eggman (06-08-2017)