View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 110 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I did a toe in check today using a homemade setup that, even though homemade, is very precise. My measurements showed both front wheels at 3 mm toe in over a distance of 444 millimeters. The left rear was also at 3 mm BUT THE RIGHT REAR was at 6mm. This means the rear total toe is too much and cross toe is off as well. Thursday I am going to a local alignment shop that I trust and having the alignment checked. Not adjusted, just checked.

Camber does not bother me much, generally it is skewed to make the car track straight on crowned roads. The right side camber will a little greater than the left. Toe, one the other hand is critical contributing to directional stability issues as well as tire wear.

I asked the shop owner if he had specs on the 2014-2015 Mirage and he produced a print out in less than 1 minute. He will not adjust anything, just check and document the existing alignment. Based on my check I would suspect both rear tires to wear rapidly on the outside edges, with the right side being significantly worse.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Specs should be:

FRONT
    Camber:-0.7° to 0.8°
    Caster: 3.3° to 4.8°
    Toe: 0.15° to -0.15°

REAR
    Camber: -1.8°(huge) to -0.3°
    Toe: 0.28° to -0.03° (good luck with this one)

Don't forget to ask for a copy of the printout. Or if their printer is "broke" take a picture of the screen for us please!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

deleted user (07-01-2015),Eggman (02-28-2016)

Thanks
    What I am seeing is cross toe on the rear axle with the rear wheels "tracking to the left" compared to the front wheels. It's exactly the same problem my Canadian built 2006 Corolla had and it ate the tires up in 20k miles.

First they changed the rear axle, which did nothing, the measurements were the same. This eliminated the damage possibility since it changed nothing changing the whole assembly.

Then they had a body shop "tweak" the mounting points of the axle, the only two points where the axle meets the body. Moving one mounting point forward or the other backward, they got the rear wheels to "track" in the same line as the front wheels.

I'm having mine checked tomorrow. I also think alignment issue is a stability issue, we'll see, but based on what I have read I want to be a positive influence on a reasonable inexpensive solution, which requires the pivot points to be shifted slightly in relation to each other. Been there, done that doing collision repairs for decades and rebuilding 200 totals,where you EXPECT those issues and the customer EXPECTS the alignment to be within specs and the car to be stable and track properly, or you get to fix it again for nothing.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well cross toe or thrust angle issue would be one thing.causing the car to run on 'four tracks' even after centering the steering wheel.
    However that would not wear the tires. Our enemy here is the total toe that is chewing the tires up.

I know what you are talking about shifting mounting points, I do a lot of body shop wreck alignments too.
    I hate to say it but our issue with the mirage (total toe) is worse than a wreck to deal with.

Waiting for your results!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    You get every other alignment spec perfect and cross toe will eat tires and make the car unstable (of course it depends on the amount of cross toe). When you see a car crabbing down the road, what do you do to fix that? When working with over two hundred totals, every single one of them was better aligned than this brand new car. I know how to fix that and I know how to fix this, only difference, I didn't buy this car smashed at a salvage auction like 200+ before it over 4 decades.

Lets not let the discussion degrade, or I won't participate, but I'll fix this problem on my car and I hope I can help Mitsu in the process.

regards
    mech

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

3dplane (07-01-2015),MetroMPG (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    FRONT
    He adjusted the left front toe. After that .
    LF Caster 3.9"
    RF Caster 4.2"
    both middle of the specs
    LF Camber 0.2 degrees
    RF Camber -0.3
    both middle fo specs
    Lf Toe -0.25 final -0.05 (after adjustment)
    RF Toe -0.10 final _0.10
    again mid specs

REAR
    LR toe 0.10
    RR toe 0.30 (spec =0.15 to -0.15)
    right side twice the acceptable toe
    LR Camber -1.2
    RRCamber -2.1

These are printed out specs on a 2014 date machine and they match my crude measurements.

So the right rear wheel is leaning in too much at the top and pointed in too much at front. A piece of true 2 inch aluminum pipe layed horizontally across each rear tire. Left side the pipe ran almost paralled to the rocker panel plastic moulding at its outermost point, slightly closer in front. Right side the pipe hits the rocker right below the rear of the front door.

That jibes with the toe measurements recorded in the professional alignment shop.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 07-02-2015 at 07:19 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

3dplane (07-02-2015),Daox (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Based on this information, if I moved the right side mounting point for the axle back about .125 inch. it would greatly alleviate the alignment issues, but it would not correct the total toe of the rear axle itself, nor would it correct the excess Camber of the right rear wheel.
    That being said the directional stability would be greatly enhanced and with the Camber at 2.1 (max 1.8) and toe at .20 on each side, 0.05 inside max spec on both sides and 0.10 over total would be the best compromise without replacing the axle itself.

After that you replace the axle itself, any change in specs confirms axle damaged (probably in transit) then if rear toe varaition still is outside specs you must "tweak" the unibody mounting point to correct the wheelbase difference, which will bring the left and right rear toe in balance. Rear wheels trailing front wheel exactly.

The front track is wider than the rear, which makes simple string alignments more compliicated.

regards
    mech

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So basically the rear axle on your car looks very similar to this one that I posted a few pages back,except on the right rear not only the toe but the negative camber is excessive too. ( red arrow where your camber would be on a print)

Name:  mirage align check 1.JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  61.1 KB

BTW the specs for rear toe is 0.28° to -0.03° not 0.15° to -0.15°(that's front). Regardless of the generous specs it is still out!

Sorry to hear that!

It is going to eat that right rear tire somewhat evenly but it will chop the tread to where it will start singing to you soon!

Reading this whole thread one can see that the few people who was told or claims that their rear end is within specs, was not provided with a printout showing this!

I'm not saying that there isn't a single mirage out there with an ok rear end, I'm just saying that I have not seen one yet.

And if someone does come up with a "green" (good) printout,I would like to see a short uncut video of the rolling compensation to showing the screen immediately. Which literally takes about ten seconds.

Why so negative? Because I've been in this business for long enough to know that readouts can be manipulated so that's the only way I trust it If I can't be there in person.

MITSUBISHI! This is for you!

We love our Mirages! THANK YOU FOR BRINGING IT TO THE STATES!

This is the only real issue with it! I know you guys are reading this,I have proof,don't make me say it!

Quit "studying" this,quit "looking into it" quit dicking around! Come up with a fix already! PLEASE!!!

Name:  I don't.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  19.9 KB

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Cani Lupine (07-12-2015),El Kapitan (07-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took the Green Bean in for its ~30k service, and was pleasantly surprised to be within factory specs on all four wheels. The technician, however, stressed the importance of everyone on the forums bringing their Mirage in and getting it noted if the rear is out of spec. He said Mitsubishi will only act on this if owners make some ruckus about it.
    Last edited by GrnBn; 10-04-2015 at 12:20 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrnBn For This Useful Post:

3dplane (07-03-2015),deleted user (07-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I'm the only one that has gotten Mitsu to officially do something about a particular case so far. They're balancing and rotating my tires every 3K untill "a permanent solution is found". Keeping a close eye on my tire wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)