Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Edit, Jan 2014... video from a Pennsylvania, USA Mitsu dealer:

Based on my small car history: with a set of 4 snow tires, it will be fine. It's also got decent ground clearance for a little car.

What's the smallest car you've driven where you live?

FYI, I wouldn't hesitate to drive my ~1850 lbs 1998 Pontiac Firefly / Geo Metro anywhere around here (eastern Ontario) in the winter.

Front wheel drive, good ground clearance, and narrow winter tires can do wonders.
    HEY Interstate Mitsubishi, that's where I bought my Mirage!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-29-2017)

That's hilarious!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe not directly on topic, but it was -35C this morning and last night, and I found myself driving around. At these temps, the car had difficulty maintaining its operating temperature.

With 4 people in the car the fan needed to be at max or nearly max just to keep the windscreen from frosting over, and in city driving, with the fan on max, at -35C, the engine wouldn't get to 91degrees (normal operating temp), but went between about 80 (while driving) and 70 (at stop lights). It seemed to work just fine, but not as well as a v8 truck for throwing heat.

It got me to wondering, also, how well an all-electric car would work at keeping the cabin frost-free during cold weather - seems that would be considerable drain on a cold battery.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

One advantage of an EV in cold weather is you can remotely pre-condition the cabin while it's still plugged in (which it often is).

The other: INSTANT heat.

Definitely eats range while underway though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One advantage of an EV in cold weather is you can remotely pre-condition the cabin while it's still plugged in (which it often is).

The other: INSTANT heat.

Definitely eats range while underway though.
    Remote Start is a OEM available accessory for the CVT models. Expensive though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Maybe not directly on topic, but it was -35C this morning and last night, and I found myself driving around. At these temps, the car had difficulty maintaining its operating temperature.

With 4 people in the car the fan needed to be at max or nearly max just to keep the windscreen from frosting over, and in city driving, with the fan on max, at -35C, the engine wouldn't get to 91degrees (normal operating temp), but went between about 80 (while driving) and 70 (at stop lights). It seemed to work just fine, but not as well as a v8 truck for throwing heat.

It got me to wondering, also, how well an all-electric car would work at keeping the cabin frost-free during cold weather - seems that would be considerable drain on a cold battery.
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I notice with my OBDLink LX Bluetooth that my coolant doesn't warm up. Most of my trips are somewhat short - 15 minutes or so.

I'm pretty sure blocking the grills will go a long way towards helping the motor warm up better/faster. One forum member went as far as to wrap insulation around the engine block.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm pretty sure blocking the grills will go a long way towards helping the motor warm up better/faster. One forum member went as far as to wrap insulation around the engine block.
    Found it.

Forum member fifteenwindow posted pictures of his warm air intake and insulation wrap here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-31-2017)