Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Exclamation And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Okay so this all started during our cold weeks we had here up in Quebec Canada.

At start up there was an annoying ticking sound that would eventually leave once operating temp was reach, didn't think much of it since, hell is -25C (-13F for our southern neighbors ). As my dear Mirage is mostly my wife's daily driver, I only drive it mostly week ends other then that I drive around in my gm pickup so i didn't think much about as well my truck makes all sorts of odd noises yet nothing is broken.. (it's a GM lol...)

During the Christmas week, the slight ticking became a loud slapping clacking noise constant regardless of temperature and would be accentuated at around 2-3K rpm.
    Car went to the dealership for an initial check Jan 5th. (earliest date available)
    At that moment we were told that it was most likely due the a previous recall, ECU remap, that has already been done a while back about 3-4 months if i recall properly.
    Something along the lines of too rich when cold ecu would compensate by leaning out the fuel mix so on and so on and well it cooked the poor 3 Cyl engine to death and what we would hear was the piston(s) becoming maraccas.

We were told to bring it back the following Monday to have some data taken and deeper analysis done on it.

Today 9th the dealer gives me a call back and says " Yeah you need a new engine..." so i question him on the why and how. " Premature failure of internal engine component(s), we do not open it up we just replace it"

Sadly, I could not get more info out the mechanic. So conclusion 80500 KM in it will be receiving a new engine (under warranty) I have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks for it to arrive if the have it in stock from Toronto Ontario.

So yeah... If I do stumble upon more info on it I will share it with the community.

Couple of answers for any upcoming questions:

No check engine.
    No power loss.
    No real fuel economy impact.
    No strange vibrations.
    Properly maintained

Nothing to really say the engine was failing other then the noise

Any one with similar issues?!

Ralph

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very interesting, and sad to hear... Thanks for letting us know though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Somebody else in the Great White North had to have their engine replaced under warranty as well. IIRC, the problem was the relays were freezing. The car would crank and crank, which scored the cylinder walls.

A bit of an inconvenience, to be sure, but a free motor is a free motor!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Glad to hear Mitsubishi and your dealer are taking care of this for you. Thanks for sharing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oof. If you hear weird noise then its a big problem. My brother's 07 Civic had his belt gear(or whatever its called) digging into the engine block due to a loose bolt.

Hey at least you get a new engine! Not far from the 100k mile warranty mark too!
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Curious, what year was your Mirage?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    A bit of an inconvenience, to be sure, but a free motor is a free motor!
    LOL...where do I sign up?

Rarely is a dealer going to disassemble an engine to locate an obvious internal failure like a bearing, piston, etc. Well...unless it's a high dollar performance engine and they are looking to void your warranty.

Hopefully your old engine will find its way back to a Mitsubishi engineering facility where it will be torn down and examined.

If the dealer is offering you a free engine and hasn't asked to see proof of your oil change history, take it and run.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Curious, what year was your Mirage?
    Darkfly600 joined November 2013 and their garage entry reports a 2014 Mirage called Rage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Wonder if you could convince them to throw in a new clutch while they have it off? To make up for the inconvenience.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wonder if you could convince them to throw in a new clutch while they have it off?
    That's a great idea. Geez...I'd even offer to pay for the parts if they would just use the new stuff putting everything back together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)