Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any CVT owners experiencing "rubber band" issue?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question Any CVT owners experiencing "rubber band" issue?

When you are slowing down and need to accelerate again, do you experience "rubber band" feel? Like it acclerate, but then is like the CVT can't decide whether changing to teller or shorter gearing so your car starts to rock back and forth a bit...

Not sure how you call this... but it feels like "rubber banding"... the effect last about 2-3 seconds.

2014 Mirage CVT

edit:
    I only uses D, and I didn't floor it, I just step on the gas normally, maybe 20-30% throttle like normal acceleration... If i accelerate slowly (like a grandma and gradually increase the throttle), then I don't feel the rubber band effect..

Last edited by codenamezero; 06-12-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    When you are slowing down and need to accelerate again, do you experience "rubber band" feel? Like it acclerate, but then is like the CVT can't decide whether changing to teller or shorter gearing so your car starts to rock back and forth a bit...
    Not sure how you call this... but it feels like "rubber banding"...
    i haven't experienced it to that degree. But I do a lot of manual downshifting into "B" when slowing down, rev back up to 4K then up shift into "D"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    CVT gearboxes often take flak for the 'Rubber Band' effect. However, I'm not sure what you're describing is the same thing. I understand 'Rubber Band' effect as the delay in acceleration when you suddenly go WOT - The revs wang around to the rev limiter, there's a surprisingly steady increase in acceleration and then a sudden SURRRRRRRGE - It almost feels like the CVT control unit goes "Oh! You want maximum acceleration rather than my usual? Right, err, 'ang on just a sec.... There we go!"

What you're describing is different I think, but I think I've had the same thing too - Usually on part throttle, sometimes on a gentle incline. The rev counter fluctuates a little and it feels not unlike transmission 'shudder', but the oscillation is much slower than that. It almost feels like the auxiliary gearbox is constantly engaging and then disengaging again. Does that sound about right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    i haven't experienced it to that degree. But I do a lot of manual downshifting into "B" when slowing down, rev back up to 4K then up shift into "D"
    Is the B the same as the Ds or L in my CVT? I use the Ds for quick freeway mergers, otherwise D is almost always sufficient.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I only uses D, and I didn't floor it, I just step on the gas normally, maybe 20-30% throttle like normal acceleration... If i accelerate slowly (like a grandma and gradually increase the throttle), then I don't feel the rubber band effect..

Let me add this back to the first post.

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post

Not sure how you call this... but it feels like "rubber banding"... the effect last about 2-3 seconds.

2014 Mirage CVT

edit:
    Hi! I think I know what you mean, it feels like you`re driving a manual car. It kind of jumps like when you are in the first gear and the car asks you for acceleration or clutch, but you just accelerate a bit and it bounces back and forward.(like when a manual car is close to shut down when you donīt use clutch or accelerate.) At least thatīs what happens to me. I think this is a normal thing, I have 2 more friends with this car and they experience the same thing. (It doesīnt happen like everyday, mostly in city driving when you slow down and try to accelerate.) Hope you understand my bad english haha! Greetings from Panama.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think that I know what are you talking about. If you need to accelerate fast shortly after des-accelerating the engine revs like crazy before the CVT changes. I don't floor it either. This is in part why many reviewers say that this CVT sucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    Is the B the same as the Ds or L in my CVT? I use the Ds for quick freeway mergers, otherwise D is almost always sufficient.
    B is the same as L in th 2017. They added a secondary programmed mode "Ds", more aggressive ratio changes but still in the higher gear band. Put in L and floor it, you'll be surprised. It will do at least 70 in L. I whooped a Spark's ass last winter in a drag race lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine has done this on occasion its just the CVT "Rubber Band Effect" just as you called it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I came on to look for information or post on this as my '17 G4 was doing something similar tonight. Strangely, I hadn't really noticed it before.

Maybe I experienced something different, but to me it seemed as if I shifted into neutral when I let off the accelerator even momentarily. The car slowed noticeably and seemed like it would not coast at all if I wanted it to. I thought I had it in the sport drive mode, but it was not.

Maybe just something I have to get used to.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-14-2016)