Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for oil filter experiences

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Looking for oil filter experiences

I'm looking for oil filter experiences from people who change their own oil. Any filters you've used you'd recommend or you wouldn't recommend? Any particular reason?

I've got a case of Amsoil XL 0w20 and a Fram Ultra synthetic filter (XG7317) ready for my break in oil change. But i'm not married to any 1 brand.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to use the ultra synthetic filter but I got a deal on K&N PS-1010 so I bought a bunch of them. Since putting the first one on, I've noticed lots of engine noise on startup. I called K&N and they are having me send them the old filter for analysis. I have a Purolator One (PL14610) sitting on my desk as a replacement for whenever I get around to it. I'll make an update after I hear back from K&N. The ultra synthetic filter seemed to do a good job, but for $9 I have started to look elsewhere (Purolator)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I used Fram Ultras for a while with no trouble, then finally broke down and bought a full case of OEM filters off of Ebay. Can't go wrong with what the factory uses.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (10-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's the OEM filter part number by chance? Is the cheapest way to get them on ebay in cases?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've used the $15 k@n's, factory @ a few others...

I just use whatever's cheapest with the welded on nut. Its the only thing i look for now. Even With the anti drain check the oil still drains out of the head and causes the rattle.

Edit i should note i run the filter for 2 oil changes and usually cut them open afterwards ive not find anything worth noting

Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    What's the OEM filter part number by chance? Is the cheapest way to get them on ebay in cases?
    The OEM filters I use are part #mz690072. We just get them from the dealer. Probably cheapest to buy them by the case on ebay?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    This is what I bought. PN is MZ690072.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-...oyRbjXn9E2JOtQ

I also bought these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MD050317-X10...kVDo5jbh7CeSog
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 10-05-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Oil filters can bring some great discussions!

There are quite a few filters that can fit the Mirage 3A92. Myself, I try to look for one with the best filtration claims. Claims, because I can't prove it myself... But more importantly, I understand it's best to trap the particulates rather than let them circulate and contribute to wear.

The filters I would consider as meeting this criteria are from Mobil and Wix.

Look for Mobil1 M1-108 & M1-110. The M1-108 is about the same size as what was installed at the factory. The M1-110 is what's currently recommended by Mobil and because it is a bit longer, is easier to handle. The extra length also adds to filtration capacity.

Wix XP filters are also considered among the best in filtration.
    Wix 51365XP and 51356XP should fit the 3A92. Like the M1-110, the 51356XP is what's recommended and it too is longer.

I understand Wix makes filters for NAPA, and they can sometimes be less expensive than Wix for the same product.

Since I use Mobil1 synthetic motor oil, I also use their M1-110 filter.

More reading on the subject:
    Oil Filter Part Number
    Forum member cookiemonster posted a list of filters. Great discussion, too.

Purolator Pure One PL14610 Oil Filter for $3.44 at K-Mart
    cwatkin shares info on a sale for a filter for the Mirage.

Valve noise on start-up!
    ednevell asks the forum Brain Trust for help with a noisy engine. Many responses discuss oil and filters.

Hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

spork (04-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got an amazing rebate using M1 and M1 filter so that's what's in there right now. I would never normally run a M1 filter due to cost though so I will run a wix or purolator next. I do however run M1 syn as it's cheap at wally world.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I got an amazing rebate using M1 and M1 filter so that's what's in there right now. I would never normally run a M1 filter due to cost though so I will run a wix or purolator next. I do however run M1 syn as it's cheap at wally world.
    Yup, that's what I do. It's a combination that's tough to beat - good price (probably the best price when it's on sale) at WalMart combined with the Mobil1 rebate puts it near the price of conventional oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)