Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Just a long commute- Ponoka to Edmonton and back each day. Good to hear that they hold up well- I'm hoping to get this one to 400,000km. Might be a bit optimistic, but we'll see. I put on exactly 70,000km in the last year. Do you guys run winter tires on yours, if so which brand have you had best luck with?
    Ran stock tires the first winter with little problems. Depends on how much snow we get. Now run snows tires in the winter. Some cars came new with mounted dunlop snow tires. We also run 185/60-14 sailun iceblazer tires. Haven't tried any other brands. They seem fine but like any tires they must be rotated regularly. They are noticeably heavier and aren't as soft as or the dunlop snow tires.
    I don't see any foreseeable problems yet. When or if something happens I'll post it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just put on 14" Bridgestone Potenza's. My gut feeling is there is way way more visible tread on these brand new 14" potenzas than the old dunlops and so far same fuel economy maybe a bit stiffer of a ride

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The Yaris really isn't "all that and a bag of chips". It is relatively expensive for what you get. It doesn't get terribly good mileage. It has an antiquated engine and transmission. And for a bit more...or the same money if we are talking about a higher-end version...you can get into a PriusC.

That is why the Mirage always outsells it. Now the Yaris iA? That is a different animal (literally).

Not sure why you are so concerned about the Mirage breaking down and somehow being impossible or horribly expensive to find parts for. Few people have had trouble with them so far. Anywhere on the planet.

Better to buy a well-built car that needs a few expensive parts than a badly-built one that needs lots of cheap ones.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-10-2017),Madison320 (06-12-2017),Tyrelirwin (06-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 1.5 engine used in the Yaris and many other small toyotas, while old, is pretty thrifty and moves the little car quite well. I owned a 2008 Yaris with the 1.5 and it was quick (for what it was) and got mileage numbers in the high 30's. Toyata doesn't change mechanicals often, but they keep the weight down and build reliable, if a bit dull, cars. Agree that a 4 speed auto is pretty pathetic in 2017. But again, it's well proven and likely dead reliable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah that's Toyota's M.O.
    My tundra has the same 5.7L and 6spd auto since 07 but it's proven and I wouldn't choose any other newer engine combo from other manufactures. Like ecoboost or cyl deactivation etc. Too much to go wrong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yup. Jeep had that with their straight six. Too bad they no longer use it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

jzink0883 (05-02-2018),Pryme (06-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The Yaris really isn't "all that and a bag of chips". It is relatively expensive for what you get. It doesn't get terribly good mileage. It has an antiquated engine and transmission. And for a bit more...or the same money if we are talking about a higher-end version...you can get into a PriusC.

That is why the Mirage always outsells it. Now the Yaris iA? That is a different animal (literally).

Not sure why you are so concerned about the Mirage breaking down and somehow being impossible or horribly expensive to find parts for. Few people have had trouble with them so far. Anywhere on the planet.

Better to buy a well-built car that needs a few expensive parts than a badly-built one that needs lots of cheap ones.
    I thought about the PriusC but I was worried about maintenance costs with hybrids. Most regular mechanics still don't service hybrids, you have to get it done at the dealer. And (in my opinion) there's 6 big points of failure on a hybrid, the gas engine, the transmission, the 2 electric engines and the battery pack. With a gas vehicle there's only 2 big points of failure, the engine and transmission.

As far as trouble with the Mirage, are there that many that have 200k miles on them? I put a lot of miles on my 2014 and it only has 65k miles. It doesn't seem like there's enough data yet. My personal experience is that almost nothing goes wrong in the first 100k. It's the second 100k when stuff starts messing up.

The nice thing about the Mirage is that they're so cheap I don't feel like I have to keep it for 300k miles. If I get 200k and not too much goes wrong I'm happy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The nice thing about the Mirage is that they're so cheap I don't feel like I have to keep it for 300k miles. If I get 200k and not too much goes wrong I'm happy.
    My oh my - cars sure have come a long way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

The one car at work here has 280000kms(174000miles) as of now. The next highest Mirage in the fleet is almost 100000km behind at 182xxxkm.
    I'd be lucky to go 5000kms without a $1000 parts bill on the stupid vehicles I drive. I may end up buying a Mirage in the future, I'm tired of constantly fixing my personal fleet of diesel trucks and the fuel expense is really cutting into my beer/quading/camping fund. With the amount of money I spent on parts(my cost, not retail) on 2 trucks this year alone, I could have had half a new mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd be lucky to go 5000kms without a $1000 parts bill on the stupid vehicles I drive. I may end up buying a Mirage in the future, I'm tired of constantly fixing my personal fleet of diesel trucks and the fuel expense is really cutting into my beer/quading/camping fund. With the amount of money I spent on parts(my cost, not retail) on 2 trucks this year alone, I could have had half a new mirage.
    AND THAT'S WHY I went for a Mirage. At some point, one gets tired of throwing money at someone else.