Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First oil change complete!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First oil change complete!

I did my first oil change on my 2017 mirage ES today. I was concerned about the tight factory filter so i prepped by getting one of those 3 arm spring type oil filter wrenches that tightens on the filter as you turn it. Fought the filter out from the top. It was pretty dented but I did get it out in 1 piece. Decided not to jack up the car so it was all done with 4 wheels on the ground. I will say feeding the filter out and in was tricky, I had to press on the radiator fan to move it slightly.

I went with 3 quarts of Amsoil XL 0w20 as I was able to score a good deal on a case of it. Fram Ultra XG7317 for the filter. I will say there was a decent amount of what looked like copper specks in the oil catch pan. But i'm not too worried as it's a new car (did i mention it had 596 miles on it).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats. No idea how you fit down there draining the oil without jacking the car up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Congrats. No idea how you fit down there draining the oil without jacking the car up.
    Me too. This calls for pictures next time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm 6'4" with long arms so I just lay on my back and I can easily get a socket wrench on the drain bolt. I like to avoid jacking cars up for safety and to reduce any damage to pinch welds or other components. I live in the rust belt so any cracked paint is a weak spot.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first oil change was free back in May and I let the dealer do it. I just did my own oil change last week myself. I was able to remove the filter with my bare hand surprisingly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I think I've done it once with the car completely on the ground. If you roll the front tires up on a 2x6 scrap of wood, that gives you a little extra room without using a jack. Or pick up a pair of Raceramp roll-ups if you want more room without a jack or set of full-blown ramps.

Here's my factory oil filter after it was removed...somewhat scratched and crushed during the process...

Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  67.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I'm going to take advantage of the free first oil change at the dealer after hearing all the difficulty people are having getting the oil filter off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bolo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For the mirage I use drive up ramps. Just drive it up and chock the real wheels with parking brake set. I wouldn't trust them under my truck though lol. I use the jack right on the frame for that with jackstands.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    My first oil change was free back in May and I let the dealer do it. I just did my own oil change last week myself. I was able to remove the filter with my bare hand surprisingly.
    They say to lubricate the gasket and tighten a quarter turn more after the filter gasket makes contact is all that is needed. I'm not sure if all filter manufacturers follow that, but there you have it. Following those instructions should make the filter easier to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I think I'm going to take advantage of the free first oil change at the dealer after hearing all the difficulty people are having getting the oil filter off.
    Absolutely take advantage of this. Don't be too quick to change out that factory fill, in the sense that if you have any other problems or concerns you can ask your dealer to address them while you are in for your oil change. For example, notice if your steering wheel is off-center either now or after some miles. If so, ask your dealer to check the alignment. First year warranty coverage for these cars is very comprehensive and covers any and all adjustments.

bolo, are you familiar with alignment problems with these cars? I know you are pretty familiar with this forum - just wanted to make sure you know about it and the steps others have taken to address the problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    I'm 6'4" with long arms so I just lay on my back and I can easily get a socket wrench on the drain bolt. I like to avoid jacking cars up for safety and to reduce any damage to pinch welds or other components. I live in the rust belt so any cracked paint is a weak spot.
    Lol i'm 6'4 too. But I twist off the filter from above the engine bay.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire