Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Save 25 Watts (or more) LED lights mod (brake, tail, side markers, plate, etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice write up 3dplane, thanks! I've added this to the FE forum index under DIY stuff.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Adding tail lamps! Be prepared!

1157 red "spider" LEDs that I ordered came in the mail.

This has five spring loaded arms. Each arm has six LEDs facing the rear (lens) and two LEDs facing to the front toward the tail lamp housing/mirror.

This is how it arrives:
    Name:  131202_0006.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  71.5 KB

When the tie wire is removed it springs open:
    Name:  131202_0007.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  81.8 KB
    Name:  131202_0009.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  77.6 KB

I removed both tail lamps from the Mirage to try the LEDs.

First I replace the left factory bulb with the LED, (leaving incandescent in right side)parking lights on....bummer. LED does not come on and within a second I smell "Amps" and see the magic smoke leaving the LED. Remove ASAP!

WTF? I go test the LED by hooking it to a 12V battery and it works fine! Both tabs running lights (reduced intensity) and brake lights mode ok.

Back to the car and try again,same thing. Does not work installed in the car. Check car's socket with a fluke meter everything corresponds to the contacts on the LED! Try other LED...same thing.Stink,smoke,no go!

At this point letting out tarzan sounds and getting a beer...

Got the idea to try both LEDs installed in the tail lamps at the same time.(why not smoke both of them simultaniously?)...TADAA running lights and brake lights working fine...except PROBLEM!

Now the factory LED high mounted (3rd) brake lamp comes on with the running lamps! (some more tarzan sounds emitted).

Been through this with my old car when converted to LEDs...need diodes installed but can't remember where exactly.

Next beer and logic says put diode in each bake lamp circuit (2) to prevent backfeed up to the 3rd brake lamp!

I hate to do it to the new car but here it goes:
    Silver band toward tail lamps!!!
    Name:  131202_0020.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  41.6 KB

Heat shrink:
    Name:  131202_0022.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  73.0 KB

That fixed it. 3rd brake lamp stays off with running lights and comes on with brake lamps.Tail lamps work fine too!

However....now every time the brakes are applied the FRONT parking lamps come on with it(which had been converted to LEDs previously)...forget tarzan,I'm laughing now.

Dig up two more diodes,go back to the tail lamps,cut the running light circuit (green with white stripe wire)and install diodes inline the same way as to the brake lamp circuits(green wire)!

Freaking tadaa all systems good,no weird stuff going on with the lights.

So if you decide to DIY your LEDtail lamps,be prepared with 4 diodes,soldering equipment,heatshrink tubing and willpower to cut wires on a new car.

DO NOT try the LED bulb one at a time! Install both at the same time! I have no clue why the car wants to smoke a single LED bulb in the tail!

Now that it works,here is how it inserts in the bulb hole:

Name:  131202_0013.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  64.7 KB

Sitting in the tail lamp turned off:
    Name:  131202_0024.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  88.1 KB

Oh the glory:
    Name:  131202_0025.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  38.6 KB

Brakes on:
    Name:  131202_0026.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  45.8 KB

That factory 3rd brake lamp is nuts!

In all this excitement I forgot to measure current draw and I am not pulling the LED through the hole again to do the test. The little spring loaded arms are very fragile.

The closest specs I found on the page I bought them from was that the power consumption is about 30% of the incandescent that it replaces. Which sounds about right but darn I would like milliamp numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

DemiRage (09-29-2014),fifteenwindow (12-03-2013),m4v3r1ck (12-03-2013),mohammad (11-29-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Nice description and a pleasure to read! Thanks for the tips

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Nice description and a pleasure to read! Thanks for the tips
    Hey thank you m4v3r1ck!

I have a question for you! Could you please clarify for me wether your tail lamp/brake lamp is an LED or not on your car?

I can't tell from the photo in your garage for sure.

The reason I'm asking is because my car does not like the LED tail lamps!

On my way home tonight I flipped the parking lights on while driving and the car started bogging down!

I instantly turned the lights back off but tha car stayed running weak. Like starving for fuel.

Long story short if I cycle the ignition off and back on regardless of headlight switch position,the car runs fine.

Just can't go from off to parking lights or headlights with the ignition switch on already. It is freaking out some module in the car.

So I was wondering if you got LEDs in the tail and what they are that it does not mess with the car!

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hey there,

I don't think it's LED, too cheap ass to put (more) expensive LED. I'll get back to you on that, but for a car that doesn't even equipped with rear disc brake, I won't bet on a LED brake light.

It seems that some cars (including this one i guess) needs a LED regulator being placed somewhere in order for the computer to read that the lamp's still good.

That is weird what happened but it might be that the computer reads different watt usage (compared to a normal tungsten bulb) when you turn on the lamp and the alternator try to compensate for the lack of wattage by working harder, when you turn on and off the engine it resets the reading and consider it as a normal usage (instead of an anomaly).
    I saw ppl selling the regulator somewhere on the net, if I happen to come across i will post it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

3dplane (12-05-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well,it looks like the car can not stand the LED in the tail/brake lamp socket!

This morning on my way to work the ABS, stability and stability(or traction) off lights came on.

Everything else was fine as far as the tail lights,brake lamps worked fine and the car was not bogging down but as soon as I got to work, I reinstalled the factory tail lamp bulbs.

That turned the warning lights off soon after started to drive the car. However I wanted to see what DTCs were stored in the system so we hooked it up to the mitsu MUT computer for a scan.

It only had one code and it was a brake lamp switch circuit related DTC.(Diagnostic Trouble Code). Cleared it.

So it seems as the car has all these sensitive safety systems,it is better to leave the tail lamps factory.

Unless some better tried and true LED comes out,or someone is willing to experiment with resistors of such value that the car thinks everything is ok back there but the current draw does not negate the use of LEDs over the incandescent factory bulbs.

(if it's even possible! It depends on the criteria the car's various modules are mapped to trigger trouble codes.)

( FYI the diodes and the resistors could be easily built inside the LED bulbs if designed that way from the start)

On a good note I got this for my trip home:
    Name:  131205_0006.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  50.6 KB
    (26 mile trip,extreme hypermiling.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (12-06-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hello,

Nice write up! Pity it doesn't work for the tail lights. I like LED lighting a lot....

BTW what's a mitsu MUT computer ? Can you use it to read all Mitsubishi's?

greetings
    Paul

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zefke View Post
    Hello,

Nice write up! Pity it doesn't work for the tail lights. I like LED lighting a lot....

BTW what's a mitsu MUT computer ? Can you use it to read all Mitsubishi's?

greetings
    Paul
    Hi Paul! Thanks!

The Mitsu computer is actually called MEDIC and it is an abbreviation for their diagnostic system.(Mitsubishi Electronic and Diagnostic Information Center)Which is basically a large roll around box containing a laptop,a printer, the interface that goes between the laptop and the vehicle,some special cables etc.

MUT III might be the interface's name too,but for sure that's what you have to select on the laptop for diagnostics.

A bit weird to use,requiring getting used to,but it does have some good features for diag like graph,oscilloscope etc. besides the normal data stuff.

Yeah,pitty about the tail lamps! Hopefully soon every bulb will be LED on these cars,including headlamps like some already have!

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    1157 red "spider" LEDs that I ordered came in the mail.

This has five spring loaded arms. Each arm has six LEDs facing the rear (lens) and two LEDs facing to the front toward the tail lamp housing/mirror.

This is how it arrives:
    Name:  131202_0006.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  71.5 KB

When the tie wire is removed it springs open:
    Name:  131202_0007.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  81.8 KB
    Name:  131202_0009.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  77.6 KB

I removed both tail lamps from the Mirage to try the LEDs.

First I replace the left factory bulb with the LED, (leaving incandescent in right side)parking lights on....bummer. LED does not come on and within a second I smell "Amps" and see the magic smoke leaving the LED. Remove ASAP!

WTF? I go test the LED by hooking it to a 12V battery and it works fine! Both tabs running lights (reduced intensity) and brake lights mode ok.

Back to the car and try again,same thing. Does not work installed in the car. Check car's socket with a fluke meter everything corresponds to the contacts on the LED! Try other LED...same thing.Stink,smoke,no go!

At this point letting out tarzan sounds and getting a beer...

Got the idea to try both LEDs installed in the tail lamps at the same time.(why not smoke both of them simultaniously?)...TADAA running lights and brake lights working fine...except PROBLEM!

Now the factory LED high mounted (3rd) brake lamp comes on with the running lamps! (some more tarzan sounds emitted).

Been through this with my old car when converted to LEDs...need diodes installed but can't remember where exactly.

Next beer and logic says put diode in each bake lamp circuit (2) to prevent backfeed up to the 3rd brake lamp!

I hate to do it to the new car but here it goes:
    Silver band toward tail lamps!!!
    Name:  131202_0020.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  41.6 KB

Heat shrink:
    Name:  131202_0022.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  73.0 KB

That fixed it. 3rd brake lamp stays off with running lights and comes on with brake lamps.Tail lamps work fine too!

However....now every time the brakes are applied the FRONT parking lamps come on with it(which had been converted to LEDs previously)...forget tarzan,I'm laughing now.

Dig up two more diodes,go back to the tail lamps,cut the running light circuit (green with white stripe wire)and install diodes inline the same way as to the brake lamp circuits(green wire)!

Freaking tadaa all systems good,no weird stuff going on with the lights.

So if you decide to DIY your LEDtail lamps,be prepared with 4 diodes,soldering equipment,heatshrink tubing and willpower to cut wires on a new car.

DO NOT try the LED bulb one at a time! Install both at the same time! I have no clue why the car wants to smoke a single LED bulb in the tail!

Now that it works,here is how it inserts in the bulb hole:

Name:  131202_0013.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  64.7 KB

Sitting in the tail lamp turned off:
    Name:  131202_0024.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  88.1 KB

Oh the glory:
    Name:  131202_0025.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  38.6 KB

Brakes on:
    Name:  131202_0026.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  45.8 KB

That factory 3rd brake lamp is nuts!

In all this excitement I forgot to measure current draw and I am not pulling the LED through the hole again to do the test. The little spring loaded arms are very fragile.

The closest specs I found on the page I bought them from was that the power consumption is about 30% of the incandescent that it replaces. Which sounds about right but darn I would like milliamp numbers.
    \
    mmm i dont see anything else when you press the brake beside the 3e light...

do you know the LED get brighter when you brake?

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    use a T10 connector LED, even before delivered to me I already asked the dealer to fit in the LEDs. Check my garage.
    Next step is installing Xenon lamps, 35watts instead of 55 watts with more light. Had Xenon on my Galant, very happy!
    i hope you also put in the auto hights adjustents because if not its a pain for other drivers. and against the law here.