Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution to Glove box USB suddenly stopping.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Solution to Glove box USB suddenly stopping.

I’ve been driving my 2015 Mirage DE for over a year, bought it at 28k miles and put on about 11k so far. I’ve always used the USB adapter in the glove box to play music and charge my iPhone, but last week it stopped working for audio, charging still worked however.

When I would plug in my phone it showed it was connected, I would go to the USB/iPod function on the stereo and it would function as usual, I could skip songs, select songs and playlists, however it played from my phone.

Figure it was a fuse problem. Had time the other night to take a look, on the passenger compartment fuse panel, fuses 25 & 26, Radio and Electronic controlled unit, are held in together with a yellow plastic piece. At first I was frustrated because I couldn’t remove the fuses completely to check them out, but I pulled the yellow piece out which disconnected the fuses, and pushed it back in place. Went in for the night and didn’t test it out after doing that but in the morning my USB audio was back to normal!!

If you have any issues with audio just check out the passenger fuse compartment and pull the yellow thing out so that the fuses aren’t inserted but they won’t remove completely so you just gotta pull it out a bit and push it back in.

Worth a shot if you suddenly face a problem as it take 10 seconds and $0.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ave For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-20-2018),Alex1a1f (01-20-2018),Eggman (01-20-2018),Marklovski (01-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Glad it worked out and there have been other instances where that yellow fuse block has not been fully inserted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My usb has never worked. Going to give this a try. Thanks!
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    I’ve been driving my 2015 Mirage DE for over a year, bought it at 28k miles and put on about 11k so far.
    Good job figuring that out and sharing it here - thanks. I wonder if this problem you solved was a factor in the car being sold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    My usb has never worked. Going to give this a try. Thanks!
    arg - it didn't fix it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    arg - it didn't fix it
    Do you have the ES or DE trim? If I understand correctly the DE USB port goes directly to the radio (I think.) On the ES it goes through a JCI Handsfree Bluetooth module on it's way to the radio. Then again, some DE trims got bluetooth, so maybe they both get the HFM module - I don't know for sure.

Either one has some requirements for reading files on various devices. If it's a USB memory device (like a thumb drive or µSD adapter) try emptying it of files and loading a very small, limited number of files to see if it helps.

Once the car starts the radio reads whatever may be plugged in to the USB port and tries to build a small database of the files, including data such as artist, song and title. I've noticed that this can introduce a delay before playing the files. The more files, the longer it takes to build this database, and the longer the delay.

I updated my HFM firmware which helped with response time, but didn't make for instantaneous operation.

Not sure if any of this applies to you, but hope it helps. Can you give more details on what's going on?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have a DE (5sp) with blue tooth. In the past I've tried plugging in my iPad, iPod, and a thumb drive with wav files. None worked. The radio said 'Load' or 'Loading' and recognized that I have a device plugged in. This recent time it was an iPad with iTunes podcasts loaded. After a few minutes it displayed some failure message. I'll try again with the iPod and thumb drive. Do I need to turn on the blue tooth to make it work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I have a DE (5sp) with blue tooth. In the past I've tried plugging in my iPad, iPod, and a thumb drive with wav files. None worked. The radio said 'Load' or 'Loading' and recognized that I have a device plugged in. This recent time it was an iPad with iTunes podcasts loaded. After a few minutes it displayed some failure message. I'll try again with the iPod and thumb drive. Do I need to turn on the blue tooth to make it work?
    Well, Bluetooth streaming works very well. Nice thing about Bluetooth streaming is that any audio being output by the iPad or iPhone will be on your speakers. So you can play music that you have stored, if you are streaming from a cellular app such Pandora, radio.com, etc.. that audio will also play over your speakers. If you are using turn by turn navigation that audio will also be on your speakers. In addition if you have hands free phone in your Mirage your initial request to Siri is done via the iPhone or iPad microphone, then the voice output is over your speakers. Just to clarify this is all with the non-Nav stereo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ok thanks, i will also give that a try

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do I need to turn on the blue tooth to make it work?
    Plugged in, no.

I don't usually plug my Android phone in, I use the Bluetooth link. The phone's Bluetooth transceiver works for both my OBD-II adapter and the radio HFM for music & phone calls concurrently.

Try one small thumb drive empty of files except for your most favorite album and let us know how it goes. Say, your favorite soundtrack or something.