Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater for 2014 Mirage?

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Would it be possible to isolate the hoses to/from the radiator and the water tank? And how much would it affekt?
    And how would this take effekt when driving in warm area? ( Not that its important to me, because its never going to get really hot 23-26 celsius summer, 75-77 Fahrenheit)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You can definitely install the thermos in a Mirage. The amount of work to get it in there and working correctly (there is at least one valve you need to control to make the system work) is not insignificant.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Lets hope someone tries it, so we can see how much effekt it gives over a night.
    Maybe some one from the colder areas would isolate his Mirage, (here we only get about 10-20 fahrenheit in winter time..)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. Too expensive, bulky & complicated as an aftermarket add-on for a car that wasn't designed for it. Plumbing, computer, electric coolant pump, etc.
    I'm curious as to why an electric coolant pump would be needed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-20-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Would this be something worth installing in my mirage? Would it save me money in the long run?

When I first bought the car, it wouldn't do this, but for the last month or so I've been finding that after starting it up for the day, the fuel consumption (L/100 km) is crazy high until I drive the car for 20-30 minutes. Is this why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Would this be something worth installing in my mirage? Would it save me money in the long run?

When I first bought the car, it wouldn't do this, but for the last month or so I've been finding that after starting it up for the day, the fuel consumption (L/100 km) is crazy high until I drive the car for 20-30 minutes. Is this why?
    Not knowing what model year Mirage you have can affect the answer. Consider making a garage entry.

Some 2014s & 2015s had the ECUs reprogrammed for excess fuel during cold starts, so that *could* explain what your are experiencing. Sign up with Mitsubishi online and check for recalls on your vehicle.

Having a warm engine on start-up has benefits in smoother-flowing engine oil for improved lubrication and fuel economy. Take a look through this thread for more details on that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess whether or not it saves money depends on how long "in the long run" is. The way I see it, if you have the car for many years, the pre-heated engine/oil could pay for itself in engine longevity. Another thing to consider is that, at least in Ohio, I have warm air blowing a little over 1/4 mile away when I use the block heater for ~2 hours. I'm guessing that would be an even bigger selling point in Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Spadesheart (11-03-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Get em where you can as cheap as you can..
    I just bought a 2017 mirage with block heater dealer installed...A $250.00 OPTION !
    Dunno why dealers feel they gotta gouge us so deep.Don't they know if their prices were readonable we'd do more business with them?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Consider making a garage entry.
    Yes please!
    Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Get em where you can as cheap as you can..
    I just bought a 2017 mirage with block heater dealer installed...A $250.00 OPTION !
    Dunno why dealers feel they gotta gouge us so deep.Don't they know if their prices were readonable we'd do more business with them?
    OUCH! I know they need to make money... they're a business. I could maybe understand that much if it were a difficult install or time consuming install. But it's not. It took me maybe 15 minutes, and that included farting around time because I had never done such an install. Zero tools, just need the heater, a tube of silicone to transfer the heat, and maybe a couple zip ties to route the wire. Shouldn't be more than cost + markup + 30 minute labor, tops. Unless the dealer install includes a nice finished hole or sealed cover for the plug. Does the wire just come out the front by the radiator?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)