Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning Steering Wheel to the End

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    One notable model would be the second generation Toyota MR2, it was an MR layout and utilized an electric hydraulic pump.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the few examples of the electro-hydraulic P/S systems.

Working at a GM-Mitsubishi dealership on cars and trucks up to 2015,I sure never ran into one.

@pepperjack: I was not trying to prove anything until you tell the guy who does this for a living that what he says is not true!
    Which is politely being called a liar or being wrong. So I provided proof from my side.
    I'm not here to argue. I like to get accurate information from this site for my use and where ever I can, I try to provide accurate information back.

Which is why I had to say something about the statements posted.

With that analogy we might as well say something like: "Rear wheel drive race cars accelerate to 300+MPH in less than 4 seconds from a dead stop!"

While true for a wery small percentage of RWD race cars,the majority of them are not top fuel dragsters so it is not really the right statement to make.

But all this is just my opinion and opinions vary.I'm going to leave it at that.

Happy steering!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BMW used the electric-hydraulic setup for a while.

The majority of the new GM vehicles use an electric motor right on the rack or right on the column.

The system our cars use is nearly identical to the one that is used on the GM Delta Platform (03-on).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Example of the BMW setup from a MINI.

The reservoir is at the top with the electric hydraulic pump just in front of the rack.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    3dplane is spot on! According to my owner's manual (page 4-41):

During repeated full-lock turning of the steering wheel (for example, while you are manoeuvering the vehicle into a parking space), a protection function may be activated to prevent overheating of the power steering system. This function will make the steering wheel gradually harder to turn. In this event, limit your turning of the steering wheel for a while. When the system has cooled down, the steering effort will return to normal.
    I haven't encountered this so far, even in Manila driving. This is perhaps because I learned to drive in a car with manual steering, which means I instinctively ensure that the car is at least creeping slightly when I'm turning the wheel to lighten the steering load. Either way, it's right there in the manual, for everybody who's curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    In electric assisted power steering systems the driver circuit for the motor has built in self protection against overheating!

High current flow will raise the temps above predetermined threshold where it shuts off assist until things cool off.

Then depending on the system it might turn on a warning light,key might have to be cycled off and back on to regain power steering. (I only have experience with EPS on some GM cars)

In reality to induce protection mode ,one would have to stand on the brakes on pavement and work the steering hard back and forth like a moron or some mechanical or electrical fault would have to be presesnt.

A normal u-turn or parking maneuver with the steering held on the stops for a few seconds should be within the capability of the system to handle.

Good question though!
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 09-17-2014 at 10:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

3dplane (09-17-2014),MetroMPG (09-17-2014),R01k (09-18-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alpha_one you are the smartest one! I did not even think of looking in the owner's manual.
    Now looking,it is sure there on page 3-75 in the US manual.
    Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    This is perhaps because I learned to drive in a car with manual steering, which means I instinctively ensure that the car is at least creeping slightly when I'm turning the wheel to lighten the steering load.
    LMAO. My 2009 Kia Rio had no A/C or P/S. I know how you feel bro. This fact also means that I take the route with less turns or park in one swoop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone located the fuse or relay for power steering on the Mirage? I can't seem to find one. I'm hoping to disable the system entirely. Maybe I'll just pull the motor from under the dash. It's not easy to get to per-se, but after removing 2 screws and pulling on some plastic panels either side of the knee air bag, it can be seen.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why do you want to pull it? It's electric so won't hurt mileage I'm sure.
    Now if it ever goes out I'd consider not replacing as I'm sure it's easy as pie to steer without it given the weight and tiny tires.