Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement Struts and Shocks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is more than I got the last time I spoke with Tokico U.S... they had no idea they even made the OEs for this car.

I would be all for a performance Tokico product. I guarantee it would end up being cheaper than the OE thru a dealer.

And finally, the last time I contacted Bilstein, they sent the same generic type answer you got from others (no plans at this time, etc)

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (09-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Wow...thanks for all the legwork on this! Hopefully something will turn up.

It would be interesting to see if the same Tokico part numbers can possibly be cross-referenced to another OEM application they supply for. Maybe we would get lucky and find out that the Mirage struts are the same as those used on the Honda Fit or something similar.

I wonder if the guys at Rock Auto can help us out?!?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-03-2017 at 03:30 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-03-2017),Gnarles2 (09-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Location Tokico Part # OEM Part # Descripton Bore Size Length Compressed Length Extended Notes
    Front strut B1109 4060-A345
    4060-A379
    Suspension Strut (Gas type) 1000~4000 Different OEM
    part numbers?
    Front strut Not listed 4060-A382 ? 2014 listing
    2015 listing
    Rear shocks E20040 4162-A199 Twin Tube Shock Absorber (Gas type) 1000~4000 13" tires
    Rear shocks E20041 4162-A219 Twin Tube Shock Absorber (Gas type) 1000~4000 14" tires
    2014 listing
    2015 listing
    References:
    Hitachi Automotive Application Listing that Daox posted
    The online parts catalog of Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse

It sure would be helpful to get the lengths & bore size documented. I think that would help in selecting alternatives.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-03-2017),Top_Fuel (06-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The reply from Sachs:

Hello,

At this time there are no plans to create the aftermarket parts for the 2014+ Mirage from Mitsubishi. We will continue to watch and see if on a global scale this car is considered for development.

ZF Services, LLC
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Alright, I just got off the phone with Tokico (actually Hitachi who owns them). In order for them to sell the shocks as aftermarket parts (or OE replacement parts), there is legal mumbo jumbo they have to go through, probably with Mitsubishi. That process has not been started as of yet, and he didn't know when it would be done. So, basically we can only get OE Tokiko struts / shocks from the dealer network at this point in time. So, we have to wait till Tokico jumps through the hoops to sell aftermarket, or one of the other shock and strut manufacturers develops parts for the Mirage. He did mention that if we had enough interest in 'performance' shocks, that avenue is available.
    The issue is the fact that they are the OEM supplier for Mitsubishi in tailand/asia for this car. That means if they were to make aftermarket stuff, that could potentially take business away from oem sales which would piss Mitsubishi off because they already bought "boat-loads" of shocks to sell when **** breaks. if they just started making aftermarket stuff it could be anti-competitive in a sense. however, as far as i know the oem stuff in the us is not tokico, so they could get away with it if it was US sales only.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    however, as far as i know the oem stuff in the us is not tokico, so they could get away with it if it was US sales only.
    It is Tokico.

I was unable to get the entire part number in the frame so I had to get two shots in order to get it all.

Mine is not the only one like it. HitShane's rear shock showed the same info, as found in this post:

Attachment 6183

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you guys figure they mean a "performance shock" ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    What do you guys figure they mean a "performance shock" ?
    I think it's simply a marketing term to make their merchandise more appealing to consumers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think it's simply a marketing term to make their merchandise more appealing to consumers.
    Exactly my thought.

I'm pretty sure there's not much to gain by screwing with the shocks ALONE. I was convinced otherwise, but after everything I've tried, the factories are borderline marshmallow, and anything stiffer/slower/harder dampening results in a rougher ride, add even slightly more and the results the car becoming increasingly skiddish on long turns with bumps. ( similar to an over-sprung car)

If your towing or hauling crap, though, i do recommend throwing in Koni sports adjusted too a pretty soft setting. After everything though, the factory Tokicos are back in my car for good reason

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Exactly my thought.

I'm pretty sure there's not much to gain by screwing with the shocks ALONE. I was convinced otherwise, but after everything I've tried, the factories are borderline marshmallow, and anything stiffer/slower/harder dampening results in a rougher ride, add even slightly more and the results the car becoming increasingly skiddish on long turns with bumps. ( similar to an over-sprung car)

If your towing or hauling crap, though, i do recommend throwing in Koni sports adjusted too a pretty soft setting. After everything though, the factory Tokicos are back in my car for good reason
    I agree with the above. I am running Yaris springs in the rear, and semi custom 200 pound/inch springs in front. STOCK SHOCKS all around.

Stiffer shocks will simply make the ride harsher, you do not want stiffer shocks. I find the soft stock shocks well matched to my springs and am no longer looking to alter or experiment with suspension mods. I have no ''bouncing'' with the stiffer spring rate and much much less body roll. It actually handles well and after owning a MazdaSpeed Miata, I would say I am semi qualified (or at least I pretend to be online) to say what it harsh/soft, and what handles well or not.

I am actually quite happy with how the car now handles. Understeer is reduced and when taking a turn way too fast it handles in a very controlled manner with surprisingly little roll.