Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better Brakes? (mountain driving)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Better pads and better tires will help A LOT. I recommend the Raybestos Element EHT for the pads. I noticed quite an improvement in stopping power when I switched to these on my 2015 manual.
    Thank, I was looking at those pads online. Wasn't sure if they were any better than the other brands I tried. Like I said I put on the best pads I could find in store but they didn't help much if at all. I think they were duralast golds and I don't remember the ones I tried before that but I run through pads pretty quick.

I'm running Douglas all seasons I'd have to double check the size but 175/70r14 should be right. They're bigger than stock but help with traction a lot and didnt seem to effect braking in anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    By your description I'm picturing smoke rolling out from your brakes at the bottom of the hill?

If your heat soaking your rotors no matter what pads you use the problem won't go away.

Few thing that comes to mind would be too run some duct and direct it at your rotors like race cars do, a larger diameter rotor, or some of the "grooved" or "slotted" rotors would help because of the increased surface area, they cool better.

If your baking your brake fluid regularly get it changed out for high quality fluid, too

Edit: i seen you specifically asked about larger rotors and the 2017 brakes are larger, and *presumed* an easy swap if you get the brake hangar and rotor but nobody here has done it far as I'm aware
    They aren't getting smoked up or baked bad just gets hard to stop as they heat up and they heat up quick. I have to use a lot of engine braking and pump them very lightly to avoid burning them up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only logical thing would be to step up to the larger diameter rotors the 17 offers. Duralast isnt exactly known for quality and i think the top tier duralasts are ceramic which you would Probably be better off with a semi metallic in my opinion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like the idea of cooling ducts and might do it if I can find another bumper to cut up. I've been hearing about the 2017's brakes being bigger so I'll have to look into it but I'll have to figure out all the parts compatibility.

My biggest issue is I don't want drilled and/or slotted rotors because they're so small I feel I'll lose too much surface area and reduce stopping power.

As far as the pads I can remember the other brand I tried but I have to say the duralast are no better than stock.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Brake Performance carries rotors that fit the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'd go with the 2017 brakes with new pads if you're having that much of an issue. To do the 2017 upgrade you'll need new calipers, caliper brackets, new rotors and you'll probably want new pads.

More info about the 2017 brake change here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...sions/changes)

They also upsized the rear drums too. Not sure if that is really worth it or not, but Mitsubishi thought so! Apparently both the front and the back brakes were upped 1" in diameter.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I'd go with the 2017 brakes with new pads if you're having that much of an issue. To do the 2017 upgrade you'll need new calipers, caliper brackets, new rotors and you'll probably want new pads.

More info about the 2017 brake change here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...sions/changes)

They also upsized the rear drums too. Not sure if that is really worth it or not, but Mitsubishi thought so! Apparently both the front and the back brakes were upped 1" in diameter.
    Thanks for the link and info. I think next paycheck I'm going to pick up the 2017 brake parts and see if they'll be an easy direct swap. If everything checks out I'll see about drilled and slotted rotors in the new size and hopefully never have to worry about over heating again. I'll keep everyone posted once I have time to mess with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Z For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-25-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am actively looking for 2017 brake components for swap onto my 2014. Would you happen to know if they will be direct fit? Would the bigger rotors/drums still be able to clear stock wheels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sure they'll fit with the wheels and I assume the calipers will need to be swapped but I'm more worried wether the larger calipers will mount in the factory location on the older model. I'll do a follow up once I get all the parts in and try it out. Probably won't get to it until next weekend.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Joe,

Ideally you want get the caliper, rotor, pads and caliper support bracket. These are all different part numbers

The hub, and hub bearing are the same part number