View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 62 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I'm a bit confused, but I think your 0.0 toe might make sense, if the "perfect" spec as designed is not zero. The difference between the extremes does not average to zero. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have zero as the ideal, but then again, I know a lot more about canoes, where this isn't an issue!

Don't look at the number, look at where the indicator is. Then compare that to the other side.

R01K, take the car to an independant shop and have them check the alignment. Then take that readout with you to the dealership, but make sure you have a copy. If they still try to pull the same thing then ask for the dealership manager. If he says everything is fine then it's time to take it a step higher and talk to the district service rep. Dealerships DO NOT want people to contact the district service rep so typically they will then start to do something.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Yesterday I went to the dealer to check the alignment because I still feel it off (steering off center) and after a while the guy comes back saying that everything is fine and asking to sign the papers. I asked to see the readings and an hour late he comes back with these readings. Look at the circled rear toe and see how stupid they think their customers are. I'm not done with them yet.

Attachment 4697
    So to steer straight you ha how much do you have to turn off the center? To the right? Have you checked the tire pressure?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    That reading will not cause a pull or misalignment of the steering wheel.
    I would be a happy camper with those dimensions.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (12-23-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    That reading will not cause a pull or misalignment of the steering wheel.
    I would be a happy camper with those dimensions.

regards
    mech
    agree 99%. You could say that rear cross-toe or lack of cross-camber to compensate for road crown could be causing it, but everything is within specs. The only suspects are that a) they haven't centered steering wheel; b) tire(s); c) the wondering feel toe-out creates when applied to front.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My tire pressure is 34-35 PSI in all 4 tires, I check that often. I'd say that when going straight the steering wheel is about 10 degrees to the right. I'll take the car to another shop this weekend.

I'd bet that the they are plainly lying to me at the dealership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    My tire pressure is 34-35 PSI in all 4 tires, I check that often. I'd say that when going straight the steering wheel is about 10 degrees to the right. I'll take the car to another shop this weekend.

I'd bet that the they are plainly lying to me at the dealership.
    So if pull is not caused by tire, what happens the rear left to right toe difference pulls car's rear to the right, and b/c of that you have to compensate by turning front right. But that should not be by 10deg (though I have no point of reference). Either that or they haven't straiten steering wheel when they did alignment, and probably did not take it for a test drive.

We had similar situation, and after getting back from alignment which made it worse, I went it and made adjustment myself. On Mirage 1/6 of the turn is equal to 0.2deg toe, and since your front it basically toe-out, toe-in left wheel by 0.2deg should remedy that. If it is not enough, you would have to do both of the wheels (left toe-in and right toe-out) by another 1/6 of the turn. Just make sure before you touch it put the marks with paint or permanent marker, otherwise there will be no point to return to.

If you have no experience with alignment adjustment go back to dealership, talk to mechanics, and insist on taking them to test drive. If they competent enough they should have done it w/o you asking for it. Do not feel too frustrated other mfg Toyota, Honda, have this issue sometimes. At least the new ones we bought, most of them had minor alignment issues like this.

Majority of the US drivers just pay no attention to it, but some like you and me find it very annoying. Especially if you drive with you hands in 10 and 2 position.

And it is not about lying, they just looking at what machine gives them, and it is within the spec range.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for these insights. I have no experience aligning wheels myself, but it's very informative what you guys discuss here.

They test drove twice and kept insisting that everything was fine. I had to go to the service manager yesterday to make them tweak the alignment again... and it's still the same.

Based on the always dismissive attitude of the mechanics I suspect that they are just "adjusting" the machine to make up these readings. In any case, this Saturday I'll check at a different shop and I'll be more than happy if I'm proven wrong.

My experience at this dealership has been rough from the get-go (see here). There's a chronic lack of even simulated attention towards the customers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Talk to different people (mechanics?) from what I was told good alignment techs are few and hard to find. Though it is not a rocket science, it takes more than your average shop monkey to get it right.

Thanks
    Went to a flea market today and picked up a magnetized alignment machine that you can use to check everything but the toe in, which can be checked with a piece of masking tape and a tape measure.

The tool I got was a jh bender model 404, patented 7/21/53. Also has aussie and canadian patents no 160235 and 514729 respectively. It reads camber and caster and could easily be shipped around for personal checks, paid $20.

I'll get a link to the patent document.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2645860.html

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Here is one on ebay
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-JH-BE...IAAOSwZVhWSyzs

pretty good buy LOL.

regards
    mech