Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Temperature and Fuel Economy

Good point - I forgot that one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always thought it was the winter gas blend that had the biggest effect on mileage. Wonder if I need to re-think that. One thing I have noticed with Mirage vs other cars I've had, mileage does take a bigger hit with little things like use of AC. And changing to winter tires (blizzak ws80's) dropped the mileage by about 6-8 MPG. I'll live with that because the blizzaks are so much better in winter driving. There is absolutely no need for AWD with those babies installed. But that's another topic ��.

It's a common reason given, but winter gas has only a few percent less energy content than summer fuel. It's just one of many factors.

I suppose you could stockpile summer gas, but if it gets really cold where you live, the car might not run as well!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a bit more detail, from my drive this morning.

• Outside Temperature, 5F.
    • Car parked outside overnight.
    • Engine block heater on for ~2 hours beforehand.
    • Water temp when turned on, 57F. Air intake temp was low 30s, possibly due to pre-warmed engine?
    • Still no grill block.
    • Climate control set on 70.
    • By 3/4 mile down the road, water temp was about 110.
    • Air intake temp is around 20F and stays there for the duration of the trip.
    • By 2 miles down the road, water temp was about 140.
    • By this time, fan is on about 6 bars.
    • From about mile 3 to mile 5, water temperature hovers right around 150-155.
    • At mile 5, I hit the off button on climate control.
    • Water temperature climbs slowly but steadily to around 190 by the time I pull into my parking space, after a total of 5 1/2 to 6 miles.

It seems logical to me. The Mirage engine uses less fuel than a larger engine. Less fuel = less byproduct (wasted heat). Less wasted heat = less heat to remove from the coolant. Combine that with much colder temperatures, and you've got an engine that sacrifices more heat from the coolant for the cabin warming process than other vehicles with larger engines. Result is poorer cold weather gas mileage, since the engine can't get the optimum operating temperature. I still got 37mpg on a short, cold trip, so I can't complain too much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just filled up again yesterday and have to say that milage has been consistently down by 20% from around 44 MPG to 33 MPG as measured at the pump, not the trip computer. It's been this way for 2 or 3 tanks. Winter gas, cold temps, change to snow tires have caused a big hit. Conditions for the last tank were colder than normal conditions, but clear weather and clean roads with temps in the mid-20's. The tires are Blizzaks. Perhaps I should also add that said tires are over sized which would help by reducing cruising RPM's but perhaps hinder by making total miles driven appear normal than actual miles. Yes, our little Mirage can get some great MPG numbers, but it seems to be more adversely affected (effected?) by less than ideal conditions than other cars I've owned.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Just filled up again yesterday and have to say that milage has been consistently down by 20% from around 44 MPG to 33 MPG as measured at the pump, not the trip computer. It's been this way for 2 or 3 tanks. Winter gas, cold temps, change to snow tires have caused a big hit. Conditions for the last tank were colder than normal conditions, but clear weather and clean roads with temps in the mid-20's. The tires are Blizzaks. Perhaps I should also add that said tires are over sized which would help by reducing cruising RPM's but perhaps hinder by making total miles driven appear normal than actual miles. Yes, our little Mirage can get some great MPG numbers, but it seems to be more adversely affected (effected?) by less than ideal conditions than other cars I've owned.
    Yes to all of the above and don't forget using the defrost button runs the a/c compressor also. Use of a block heater has been shown to have positive effects with better mileage and also blocking a portion of the lower grill. Members with scan gauges have reported that the Mirage has ample grill area with water temps struggling to get over 180 degrees during cold weather before blocking a portion of the lower grill.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, am aware of that the compressor runs with defrost. Our little car is so light, I sometimes turn on the compressor going down hill to add a bit of extra braking. Mine is garage kept, so I'm not sure adding the block heater would help much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yes, am aware of that the compressor runs with defrost. Our little car is so light, I sometimes turn on the compressor going down hill to add a bit of extra braking. Mine is garage kept, so I'm not sure adding the block heater would help much.
    I've used the compressor for braking too! Grill blocking with foam might be helpful though. Just nice and soggy down here on the coast although we did get some frost a few days in a row and there was snow for a day!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Mine is garage kept, so I'm not sure adding the block heater would help much.
    It does. Other forum members here even use their block heaters in warm weather.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I recall, modern block heaters just install near a freeze plug? 'Back in the day', when I lived in northern Vermont and drove a '65 Buick Skylark, the block heater was spliced into one of the coolant system hoses. And in those conditions, with a car as primitive as the Skylark, a block heater was a must.