Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Because of this I have looked the exhaust over pretty good. Found nothing.
    If the exhaust is tight the engine should stall when the exhaust is blocked.

Jut don't flood it out trying this test.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Conclusion: "This is a normal characteristic of this engine and as I have 15000km on it this is considered a normal progression of age and mileage".

not entirely sure what they did to CVT but tech. told me it's to make driving it feel more normal and increase longevity. It is very aggressive at keeping rpm down now.

Tech told me they had so many warranty issues with flex joint Mitsu engineered it out for economics.

These statements sound suspicious to me. I'm starting to get the impression that either your mechanic is young and naive, or being forced to lie.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

These statements sound suspicious to me. I'm starting to get the impression that either your mechanic is young and naive, or being forced to lie.
    The statement "they are adamant this is a characteristic of engines this size" came right from the service manager after he hung up the phone with Mitsu rep.

as for the ones you quoted.. these came from conversation with the tech over the couple hours spent with him sorting out the vibration on this car.
    Another bit of info I picked up is that after the engine failure in my '14 Mirage there were many more failures in Quebec we never heard about. There's a couple companies there that have Mirage fleets that had multiple failures due to the same cause as mine.
    Obviously we don't get to hear everything that goes on with the development of these cars. Also there are many Mirage owners out there that hold no membership on this or any other forum. Just because we didn't hear it doesn't mean it ain't so.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My guess is if they cannot repair the issue, you keep following up with Warranty claims and if there is no resolution after (is it 3 tries?) there is Lemon Laws requiring they buy the car back. At least that is what I *think* can work out in the U.S.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    My guess is if they cannot repair the issue, you keep following up with Warranty claims and if there is no resolution after (is it 3 tries?) there is Lemon Laws requiring they buy the car back. At least that is what I *think* can work out in the U.S.
    Canada has NO such laws to protect consumers in regards to autos. If I remember correctly Canada can't even force a recall when autos are unsafe.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Canada has NO such laws to protect consumers in regards to autos. If I remember correctly Canada can't even force a recall when autos are unsafe.
    Trying to remember...what was the reason for engine failure in your 2014? Was it due to the fuel mapping or ecu reflash recall?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    low compression on one cylinder due to bore/piston scoring. They never gave me a cause.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have thought that myself because sometimes I can feel it in my ears like when you open the windows too far at speed.
    Because of this I have looked the exhaust over pretty good. Found nothing.
    Just fyi the entire exhaust system doesn't just hang right off the header. The header/cat combo has a bracket welded to the bottom of it which bolts to the engine cradle sub assembly. Just behind that is a ball/socket joint. The rest of the one piece welded exhaust joins here.
    That's probably the issue - the exhaust is hard bolted to the subframe and transmitting a harmonic. As a test I would either unbolt it or put some rubber between the mount and the frame. If the vibration goes away that's the culprit. I have never seen any part of an exhaust hard mount to anything. It sounds like a horrible design.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    That's probably the issue - the exhaust is hard bolted to the subframe and transmitting a harmonic. As a test I would either unbolt it or put some rubber between the mount and the frame. If the vibration goes away that's the culprit. I have never seen any part of an exhaust hard mount to anything. It sounds like a horrible design.
    Just FYI everyone, it has been investigated and proven since this post that the manifold/converter is not actually bolted to the subframe. It's bolted to a large bracket on back of the engine. It just looks like it's bolted to subframe when viewed from behind the engine. My bad.
    Will weld for beer.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

gone.a (05-27-2017),inuvik (05-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Just FYI everyone, it has been investigated and proven since this post that the manifold/converter is not actually bolted to the subframe. It's bolted to a large bracket on back of the engine. It just looks like it's bolted to subframe when viewed from behind the engine. My bad.
    That's good to know but it might still be the source of the noise since the exhaust is not totally isolated from the engine with a flexible connection. It sounds like the '17 exhaust revision was a solution to a non-issue. There might have been certain countries that required the change to discourage catalytic converter elimination. Just a guess though, not sure why Mitsubishi made this change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)