Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We have torn down some engines before but not that nastly looking with heavy carbon build-up. Is that space surrounding the bores part of the water jacket, it is the first time I see that design in a petrol engine. I understand both the block and the head of Mirage are high grade aluminum alloy, with a sturdy bolt fastening design, I presume that it will take a higher overheat temperature before any of them are warped in contrast to a steel block with aluminum head unless tha all aluminum alloy engine is really not that strong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerami View Post
    We have torn down some engines before but not that nastly looking with heavy carbon build-up. Is that space surrounding the bores part of the water jacket, it is the first time I see that design in a petrol engine. I understand both the block and the head of Mirage are high grade aluminum alloy, with a sturdy bolt fastening design, I presume that it will take a higher overheat temperature before any of them are warped in contrast to a steel block with aluminum head unless tha all aluminum alloy engine is really not that strong.
    That space is the water jacket. Looks like we have an open deck design.
    Last edited by gone.a; 05-17-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Wow...did that poor motor ever get even ONE oil change?? Surprised to see it that grubby inside after only 14k.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    i think i know one reason wy they do not use direct injection or GDI

Can I E10 fuel in my Mitsubishi?
    The fuel E10 (ethanol 10% / 90% petrol), can be used for all models with Mitsubishi gasoline engine except for models with a GDI engine models or with a carburetor.

and E10 is more and more used.
    in germany you can only get E10 or premium
    Yes, you can use E10 and even E20 fuels in the Mirage (you can look it up in the instructors manual).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Updated the first post with addition information from Loren's engine swap thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...he-Engine-Poof!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (10-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've added the fuel injector flow rate to the engine specs list from the testing that was done here:

Fuel Injector Flow Rate: 233 cc/min [22 lb/min]

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post82741
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It seems to have most of the bells and whistles. The start/stop would certainly be great to have here. Sadly, I doubt they'll bring it here due to the EPA (US fuel economy) test not accounting for cars being stopped sitting at a light or stop sign. Start/stop systems show zero benefit on this test cycle despite real world benefits of around 10% in city driving.

Another thing I noted was that it doens't have is direct injection. Most of the new engines have this, but both of the Mirage engines have multipoint fuel injection. I was reading in some Australian (I think) article where they claimed that they dropped the idea of direct injection due to the cost of adding it. There was also the issue with fuel quality in developing countries that makes direct injection a bit more finicky.
    I personally wouldn’t want a car with a Start/Stop system because while they do help improve fuel economy there is a lot of extra wear on the engine and starter since most engine wear happens on startup. I’m just reminded of when I was in the Air Force and while working around aircraft you weren’t allowed to leave an unoccupied vehicle running so our vehicles were constantly being shut off and the restarted to go to the next aircraft. As a result the starters were having to be replaced every few months and several of them started using oil. Our main vehicle only had 15K miles on it but was on its 4th or 5th starter.

I thought that way too. I maintain 60 delivery vehicles. Drivers turn off engines at every location, if stopped at a train for more than a few mins. Basically the cars don't idle. I was replacing starters fairly often in old mazda pickups but I've only replaced maybe 3 or 4 in the last 6 years of dealing with Mirages. 2 of them just needed new brushes so I sourced out a cheap set, one I cleaned up the solenoid and reinstalled into another car and it's been working fine for years. I used to hate imports.
    Out of curiosity, is your main starter eating vehicle a domestic or a nissan?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I thought that way too. I maintain 60 delivery vehicles. Drivers turn off engines at every location, if stopped at a train for more than a few mins. Basically the cars don't idle. I was replacing starters fairly often in old mazda pickups but I've only replaced maybe 3 or 4 in the last 6 years of dealing with Mirages. 2 of them just needed new brushes so I sourced out a cheap set, one I cleaned up the solenoid and reinstalled into another car and it's been working fine for years. I used to hate imports.
    Out of curiosity, is your main starter eating vehicle a domestic or a nissan?
    They were Ford, Chevy and Dodge vans and pickups. I’ve also seen a few mechanics that have advised against buyin vehicles with auto stop/start systems as well as the systems that shut down cylinders to improve economy because they have been known to develop problems when they start to age. Now if I’m going to be stopped for more than a couple of minutes then I do shut it off. I just like my vehicles simple that’s why I opted for the base 5 Speed.

We have a few chevy's with the cylinder deactivating cylinders. It started ticking pretty loud on the highway a few years back if you held the speed over 70mph. They wanted me to replace the lifters and camshaft but the truck had well over 350,000kms on it. I changed to mobil one and told the drivers to slow down. It's now quiet and still runs strong at 550,000kms. I'd still avoid them though.

Simpler is more gooder. I prefer the manual temp controls and didn't want the auto setup, I'm not worried about them breaking but they're just a pita to use. I'd rather turn a dial without having to stare at the thing for a few seconds to see what I'm doing or have to scan through options to get the setting I want. Stupid auto temp controls....

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)