Thread: 2017 swap out environmental controls for digital one

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2017 swap out environmental controls for digital one

Hello I have a 2017 Mirage es with the manual environmental control is it possible does anyone know to upgrade the digital one thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Myskull View Post
    Hello I have a 2017 Mirage es with the manual environmental control is it possible does anyone know to upgrade the digital one thanks
    Would be a large project I'm afraid. The manual knobs actually physically open/close/manipulate/mix all the blending and posiontional flaps/doors while the automatic uses motors/solenoids. You'd have to locate each of these and wire them in...not plug and play obviously.

Just take a look at each pieces differences in the back. Tough project for sure and I'm thinking there'd be a ETAC adjustment needed too.

On a sidenote: I love the redesigned knobs on the 2017 compared to earlier years.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 05-06-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Myskull View Post
    Hello I have a 2017 Mirage es with the manual environmental control is it possible does anyone know to upgrade the digital one
    Trust me...you are out of your mind to want to do that. You already have the more desirable setup. Many of us wish we had manual HVAC controls! From a durability and maintenance standpoint, it is the cheaper system to own.

Your manual controls will last for the next 20 years without a problem. The automatic climate control, on the other hand, will likely become an expensive pain in the azz for most people years down the road. There are no cheap components in the climate control system. The control head by itself is over $800. Years from now people are going to be stunned to find out that the cost to repair the climate control exceeds the value of the car.

The good news is that most of the parts are available now through salvage yards. That $800 control head is only about $50 on eBay. I still need to buy an extra one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (05-06-2017),poorman1 (05-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That $800 control head is only about $50 on eBay. I still need to buy an extra one.
    I just got one a month ago for $25 on Ebay... Definitely a good spare part to have around.
    (blank signature)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-06-2017),Top_Fuel (05-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I absolutely hate the recirculate button on these units. I would like to bypass the automatic climate control unit and install a separate control switch to change from fresh air to recirculate. I was totally bummed when I saw that the manual and automatic control panels for the climate control were not interchangeable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage7K For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage7K View Post
    I absolutely hate the recirculate button on these units. I would like to bypass the automatic climate control unit and install a separate control switch to change from fresh air to recirculate. I was totally bummed when I saw that the manual and automatic control panels for the climate control were not interchangeable.
    Just curious why you don't just manually set the temp and recirculation mode? When I need AC (which is rare on the Oregon Coast), I turn the AC on and set the temp to 74, I don't really take a hit on mileage and it's comfortable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)