Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: subwoofer and amp mounting

Country
    United States
    Thanks

subwoofer and amp mounting

Anyone have any good hiding places or tips? Crime is pretty high in Milwaukee (Wisconsin, USA) and i don't want to give the neighbors any ideas.

Haven't Broke out a tape measure or anything but im thinking if the sub fits in a gutted 5th door (hatch) i want to mount it in there, and the amplifier above the glovebox inside the dashboard, behind the crash bar. I THINK there's enough room too sneak it in there.

Thoughts or ideas? Yes i can fiberglass and no I'm not against hacking welding cutting or any combination thereof

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My amp (Kicker CXA600.1) is installed under the front passenger seat. One of the reasons I went with this amp was the small footprint.

I have a JL Audio enclosure (JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3) that drops right into the same location that the optional Mitsubishi Rockford Subs use. With the hatch closed, you'd never know they are back there.

This combination is plenty loud. It's hard to believe this much sound is coming from a pair of 8" subs in such a small enclosure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018),MightyMirageMpg (04-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really like the mini subs you linked. My amp is pretty comparable to what you have. I didn't know the car was even offered with a factory subwoofer.

I measured the car and speaker last night and unless I buy a shallow mount sub, it isn't going to fit flush mount in the hatch. I never realized just how thin the doors and hatch are. Roughly 4" thick overall (steel) so scratch that idea. (My sub is 6" depth)

Pretty much decided on your under the seat amp idea and mounting the sub in the spare tire well and some sort of gaurd or false floor over it, and mounting the spare in the trunk like a jeep. (Except on the passenger side so it doesn't block the light) I might end up having to move the buffeting valve too depending on what I can come up with.

Stupid thieves it shouldn't have to be this difficult.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I didn't know the car was even offered with a factory subwoofer.
    The Rockford system upgrade (which includes a 300 watt amp and a pair of 6.5" subs in an enclosure) was en entirely specific Mirage model when it first came out (details here). Now I think it's a stand-alone option. Here's the only pic I can find...

Name:  RFSub.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  19.9 KB

You can also buy a kit from Mitsubishi and install it (example here) even if your car didn't come with it, but it looks kind of pricey for what you get. And it requires a PCM reflash to get it to work right (see this) thread.

Here's the RF system kit...

Name:  RFsub1.jpg
Views: 2690
Size:  81.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (04-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Anyone have any good hiding places or tips? Crime is pretty high in Milwaukee (Wisconsin, USA) and i don't want to give the neighbors any ideas.

Haven't Broke out a tape measure or anything but im thinking if the sub fits in a gutted 5th door (hatch) i want to mount it in there, and the amplifier above the glovebox inside the dashboard, behind the crash bar. I THINK there's enough room too sneak it in there.

Thoughts or ideas? Yes i can fiberglass and no I'm not against hacking welding cutting or any combination thereof
    Tip? Move out of Milwaukee. Head north.

I had top of the line components in my last car for 8 years. Never an issue. I had the top of the line at the time Alpine HU and DLS 3ways visible to anyone. No issues. The true gem was the amp, a audison VRX. It now lives in my closet unused.
    Last edited by Pryme; 04-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This won't be of any help to the original post, but I have one of these coming tomorrow and according to my measurements should fit nicely under the passenger seat. After I get it installed I'll update my garage with a review or something. I'm not running an external amp which is why I went for the all-in-one deal here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    This won't be of any help to the original post, but I have one of these coming tomorrow and according to my measurements should fit nicely under the passenger seat. After I get it installed I'll update my garage with a review or something. I'm not running an external amp which is why I went for the all-in-one deal here.

I have something similar and I am still amazed at how good it sounds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

anog (04-17-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Tip? Move out of Milwaukee. Head north.
    Solid advice but ide be driving back for all the big industry in no time

Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    That's pretty cool for the price if it sounds good. Adding a subwoofer under the passenger seat could really add another dimension too your night game with the ladies too lol

Thanks for posting this.

No updates yet but hopefully I'll have something cool today

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made a box, 38x17x6 with a sloped top angled toward passenger compartment. Isn't complete needs speakers (lol) and to be disassembled glued and sealed. Probably a brace or two as well.

When its under the factory carpet its pretty stealth, and with the seats folded down its much more flat in the rear. Really like it so far. Spare tires in its factory location. 3/4" mdf board. See how it sounds and holds up.. Never build a box before
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 04-18-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Subwoofers in place. Grill is from a vintage signal box fan, kinda neat. also mounted 6x9s in the rear doors

This is obviously a budget build but so far so good and everything's mounted down good n tight

Attached Images Attached Images