Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for oil filter experiences

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was just reading through the owners manual and it says they "strongly recommend" 0W – 20 oil and do not recommend the use of other viscosities except for short-term use when 0W – 20 isn't available. Thicker oils will prolong warm-up time and reduce fuel economy. In the long run it puts extra pressure on the seals and gaskets as well. Not really a good idea to do. These modern engines have very tight tolerances .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I was just reading through the owners manual and it says they "strongly recommend" 0W – 20 oil and do not recommend the use of other viscosities except for short-term use when 0W – 20 isn't available. Thicker oils will prolong warm-up time and reduce fuel economy. In the long run it puts extra pressure on the seals and gaskets as well. Not really a good idea to do. These modern engines have very tight tolerances .
    I wouldn’t worry too much about running 5w30. Here is a example from Mitsubishi Singapore that specifies 5w40 as the recommended oil on Page 3 for all of the models they sell including the Mirage (Spacestar)

http://www.mitsubishicars.com.sg/cms...u_Sept2017.pdf

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Recently purchased Parts Master #61356. 12 filters for $34 shipped. Same specs, distribution center, and manufacturing plant in Mexico as Wix #51356 oil filter. Also part of Affinia Motor Group same as WIX. Look at specs below. Good deal imo.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 10-28-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I wouldn’t worry too much about running 5w30. Here is a example from Mitsubishi Singapore that specifies 5w40 as the recommended oil on Page 3 for all of the models they sell including the Mirage (Spacestar)

http://www.mitsubishicars.com.sg/cms...u_Sept2017.pdf
    Exactly. It's all about cafe standards and regs in this country. It's pretty funny when the exact engine, not just Mitsubishi, calls for different oil in different countries.

I feel a 0w30 would be a good middle ground. Same start up as 0w20 but a more robust oil at opp. Temp. And when the 20 sheers down it will be like water. At least when a 30 sheers down it will still be at least a 20 or more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Exactly. It's all about cafe standards and regs in this country. It's pretty funny when the exact engine, not just Mitsubishi, calls for different oil in different countries.

I feel a 0w30 would be a good middle ground. Same start up as 0w20 but a more robust oil at opp. Temp. And when the 20 sheers down it will be like water. At least when a 30 sheers down it will still be at least a 20 or more.
    i agree wholeheartedly. If it ever got below freezing here on the Southern Oregon Coast I’d run 0w30. The viscosity levels of 0w20 at 100C (212F) are shockingly low.
    Last edited by inuvik; 10-28-2017 at 04:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anybody else ever have any experience with the K&N 1010? I assume it doesn't have a anti-drainback valve and that's why OP had valvetrain noise? There's a really good deal on these on the Rainforest website right now so a guy was wondering...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Anybody else ever have any experience with the K&N 1010? I assume it doesn't have a anti-drainback valve and that's why OP had valvetrain noise? There's a really good deal on these on the Rainforest website right now so a guy was wondering...
    I've been running the Baldwin B1431 filter in both my Mirage & Outlander Sport without issue so no experience with the K&N's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Just changed oil yesterday with the K&N PS 1010, it has an anti-drainback valve, no new noises...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DieselDalek For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I am trying to justify the extra cash spent on a higher quality oil filter and actually want some "value added". Because if its just going to last for the 7500 miles than I may as while buy a cheap FRAM filter for $5

Also looking to reduce environmental waste and it would be nice to keep a filter for 2 oil changes before tossing it.

And yes, I am looking to "cheap out" on a $10 part if it is not absolutely necessary. Would rather give $10 to a bum than to waste it. Would rather donate $10 to the animal shelter than to waste it.
    I know I'm late to the party but:
    I'd rather spend an extra $10 of MY hard earned money towards MY car.

Dont really care for bums. I've done my fair share to help animal shelters.

Unfortunately dont have a counter argument about your environmental waste - unless I find a way to recycle used filters.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Unfortunately dont have a counter argument about your environmental waste - unless I find a way to recycle used filters.
    Ohhh I have 1, when I used to work on cars @ home, this guy gave me a small drum & asked if I would give him my old oil filters. After he picked up the drum a couple times I asked "what do you do with them?" He replied, "I burn them in the furnace in my shop... You get a lot of heat out of a filter with only a little bit of steel left to take to the recyclers: " PS, don't try this @ home Kids...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-27-2021)