Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme cold and the Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Extreme cold and the Mirage

So we have had a stretch of terrible weather. It was -13 yesterday morning and has been sitting at or slightly below zero since Xmas.

Anyway, the mirage hangs revs between shifts when it's below zero, I notice it more in this car than other manual equipped cars and trucks I've owned in the past.

Meaning when you shift the revs do not drop quickly when you depress the clutch, they take a lot longer to come down. This only happens when very cold and as it warms up it stops.

Also, I am going to check voltage on the battery, the car never fails to start but it sure draws a lot of current pulsing the dash lights as it cranks in sub zero temps.
    I wish I had a load tester too, to check that.

I'm thinking the stock battery is not a fantastic battery to begin with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    One big thing I noticed with the Mirage and my 99 Metro was they used direct drive starters instead of gear reduction starters (at least here in the US). Gear reduction starters start engines much quicker and pull a lot less amperage from the battery. Our Mirage friends in other areas of the world, specifically Europe, have access to gear reduction starters, though its not exclusively used. I would guess its used on the auto start stop equipped engines.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

anog (01-03-2018),Pryme (01-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That would make sense. Why wouldn't they use a gear reduction unit to alleviate stress to the electrical system and battery? I just checked it with my multi meter and the battery is at 12.3V. About 80-85% charged at these cold temps. I thru my maintainer on it and it charged for about 5min and went to maintenance mode.
    Guess it's just the direct drive set up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My only guess at why they don't use them exclusively is cost.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe a lot of starters have both options. I wonder if the mirage will have one available in the states? In the summer it's not noticeable at all but now in cold temps when the lights dim on each crank it made me wonder about the batteries state of charge lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've done searches on the UK part numbers of the gear reduction starter and haven't found anything unfortunately.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I have the 1.0L MT model, and been through a few cold winters high up in the Alps. Never had any issue with the (non gear-reduction) starter or any starting problems at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its not that the direct drive starter causes any problems, its just that the gear reduction starter is quicker and easier on the battery.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info on the gear reduction starter. I was thinking my battery was just weak as I have lots of electrical accessories on my car, but now it makes sense. I'm sure the battery is part of it, but not the whole story.

While I'm here, I also noticed that for a short time after a cold start, the voltage is around 14.7-14.9 V. Normally when driving around it hovers around 14.3 V. Is this normal? Maybe due to the faster idle when cold?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    While I'm here, I also noticed that for a short time after a cold start, the voltage is around 14.7-14.9 V. Normally when driving around it hovers around 14.3 V. Is this normal? Maybe due to the faster idle when cold?
    Now I'm not sure but I wonder if this is to recharge the battery following the discharge associated with the motor start?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-04-2018)