Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a rear sway bar alternative

I wonder if you couldn't actually measure the change in stiffness, instead of relying only on subjective driving impressions.

What if you did before/after comparisons by jacking one side up under the spring perch until the tire just lifts off the ground? Measure from the trailing end of the axle to a fixed body point somewhere above it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-16-2016),Eggman (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That is a great idea. It will be great to quantify with a measurement. I'll definitely do that if/when I get together with the UR bar owner. It'll give me a great way to compare the different designs.

Still, the driving is pretty definitive. It sadly didn't make much of an effect at all. I'm not going to sell a product that you can't tell a good difference with, especially when basically everyone says the Ultra Racing bar makes a very nice difference.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I would worry about long term reliability. We have cases of UR bar break, and this looks like may stress the OEM torsion beam pretty well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Did you inspect the welds that join the crossmember to the trailing arms? Since these points are going to experience higher loads, I'm curious to know what changes they might go through.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, I did get a chance to look over the torsion beam weldment a fair amount. After inspecting the welds along it, I'm much less concerned with significantly increasing its strength. It has a fair amount of weld spread over a good area. This means the chances of concentrated stress are much less likely. The load will be spread through the good area of weld, and if the load is spread out we shouldn't have issues.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Yes, I did get a chance to look over the torsion beam weldment a fair amount. After inspecting the welds along it, I'm much less concerned with significantly increasing its strength. It has a fair amount of weld spread over a good area. This means the chances of concentrated stress are much less likely. The load will be spread through the good area of weld, and if the load is spread out we shouldn't have issues.
    I still think the see saw motion we feel on a stock Mirage is from the bottom spring mounts flexing. This is why connecting them boxes off the ends and provides a much more rigid design.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I still think the see saw motion we feel on a stock Mirage is from the bottom spring mounts flexing. This is why connecting them boxes off the ends and provides a much more rigid design.
    Nah.. It is from bad spring rate/shock rebound damping match up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Daox, Racing Beat says their sway bar for the Mazda 2 is 1.5" OD. I was wondering, since you've done the measurements, would that fit inside the Mirage torsion beam?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A 1.5" bar will definitely fit up into the beam.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    Daox, Racing Beat says their sway bar for the Mazda 2 is 1.5" OD. I was wondering, since you've done the measurements, would that fit inside the Mirage torsion beam?
    From their website, "Important Note: It is highly recommended that this Rear Sway Bar be used in conjunction with a stronger-than-stock Front Sway Bar: failure to do so will likely cause this Rear Sway Bar to be overloaded and lead to failure/breakage of the Rear Sway Bar."

Maybe this is why a couple people had failure issues with the UR bar. They only installed the rear and nothing on the front...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-24-2016)