Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Used vs. New?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    There are definitely some killer deals out there on used Mirages. I only bought my 2015 new because the huge rebates at the time allowed me to get a 'loaded' one for $10k. The current rebates aren't at that level.

Just be careful in the used market because it seems like there are a lot of salvage title Mirages out there. There's nothing necessarily bad about a salvage title Mirage if you know why it has a branded title and it's discounted significantly. The used retail value on these cars is so low (and the cost of replacement parts so high), even a minor fender bender can end up totaling a 2 year old Mirage. That's a bummer, but it means more cheap used parts for the rest of us.

Just remember many institutions won't finance a salvage title car, it won't have any warranty, and any car with a branded title is hard/impossible to sell. My biggest beef with the salvage title Mirages I see for sale is that many are barely discounted from the retail price of a Mirage with a clean title?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

bolo (07-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The asking price for the used 2014 is around $6500. The asking price for new ES models in my area is $10,000 plus some change.

On these cars, how much haggle room do you think there is? I've always thought that because these are inexpensive cars to begin with, the haggle room is pretty tight. Now I'm afraid of getting fleeced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

I wonder if it's worth trying to get one from Canada though I'd avoid Ontario cause of rust. This one is sold but it would have been $3900usd with about 30000miles https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think $6500 for a 2014 is over priced.

And if you factor in $1000 per year depreciation that is $3000 right there. I mean if you can get the new model for $10k out the door that is the better deal in my opinion.

Most of the time the decision to buy used or new car is a no-brainer but with these Mirages there are definitely circumstances where new is the better value.

I was lucky enough to buy mine new for $9000 out the door because I bought it at the right time, just when the new 2017's where coming out and the dealer wanted the 2015's gone from the lot. Im sure I paid very close to dealer-cost and at that time the used cars that I saw advertised where maybe $500 less so I chose to go with new.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I think $6500 for a 2014 is over priced.

And if you factor in $1000 per year depreciation that is $3000 right there. I mean if you can get the new model for $10k out the door that is the better deal in my opinion.

Most of the time the decision to buy used or new car is a no-brainer but with these Mirages there are definitely circumstances where new is the better value.

I was lucky enough to buy mine new for $9000 out the door because I bought it at the right time, just when the new 2017's where coming out and the dealer wanted the 2015's gone from the lot. Im sure I paid very close to dealer-cost and at that time the used cars that I saw advertised where maybe $500 less so I chose to go with new.
    I have to ask what you mean by "out the door." Do you mean even including taxes? Also, when do the new models generally come out for Mitsubishi?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I have to ask what you mean by "out the door." Do you mean even including taxes? Also, when do the new models generally come out for Mitsubishi?
    You can generally get a much better deal than $6500 on a '14, especially if you are buying from a dealership. There was a member here who was aghast at what they offered him when he tried to trade his Mirage in for a new G4, so they will have lots of room to negotiate. Private party sales on late-model cars are usually trickier since people selling them generally want what they owe on them, and that amount can be quite a ways away from market value. There was somebody on my local Craigslist advertising a gently used '17 ES CVT with about 6,000 miles...for $17,000!

And I will bet you "around $10,000" for a new Mirage becomes closer to $13,000-$14,000 by the time all is said and done. New car dealerships use teaser prices and have "loss-leader" cars all the time. Just part of the business.

New models for most manufacturers usually start arriving on lots in September/October.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It really depends on the dealership and salesman. I got my 15' for $8500, (after taxes, fees, license plates, etc), 'out the door'. For used cars, you do have some leeway but as others have said, for a 14' for that price is a bit high.

I would see if the Mitsubishi dealer near you has any deals going on. For example, the Mitsubishi dealer near me as loyalty, military, company, etc deals where they can save you around $2000-$3000 on a new Mitsubishi. I think it's worth getting a new one if it justifies your wallet. I got my 15' with a 5 yr bumper to bumper as well. But seeing how reliable these Mirages have been, and how easy they are to work on, I'm not worried at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you guys for the advice.

2of9, you got your new 2015 for $8500 out the door? That was a really great deal. I wish I was adept at negotiating, but I really only get the opportunity to practice when it is time to get a new car which is not all that often because I like to find the car that I like and keep it until it dies or until the cost to repair becomes too much to swallow on an old car.

I'd be happy if I could get an ES for $10,000 out the door.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my case it was $9000 out the door and I think I had to pay like $250 for some other taxes/tags or something. So $9250 out the door

But then they financed me at 12% APR which is sky-high I suppose this is how they planned to make their profits on me.

If I just paid the minimum payments I would pay over $1000 per year in finance charges (just interest) But I pay way over the minimum and now I only owe $3500 left on the loan

But that dude that paid $8500, that is really amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The secret to negotiating is that you have to convince at least one dealership to give you an estimate IN WRITING and then once you have that you can flaunt it in the face of the next dealer and have them beat it also IN WRITING and just repeat that with dealer 3, 4, and 5.

Dont be afraid to get proposals from dealers that are really far away because the more dealers you speak to the more estimates and the more likely to get a low estimate.

Also when I first started I went to Trucar website to look it up and you can take that price and drop it by 2 thousand and start your negotiations from there.

And the best secret is do 95% of your negotiations via email or telephone. You only go to the dealer twice, Once to test drive the car and then you come back a few days later to sign the deal. Thats it, the worst thing you can do is "Come on in to talk about it" because face to face they will play their psychological games with you

Oh I almost forgot, if they are dumb enough to send the estimate in pdf than you can edit the file and change it to any price you want in order to use it to fool the next dealer. It might sound "under-handed" but its no worse than the bad rules that the dealership plays by.

If you are not good at "doctoring up" documents than you can hire someone on Fiverr website to do it for you

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

bolo (07-29-2017)