Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Auto Dynasty Lowering Springs from Amazon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlestan View Post
    I think it should be pretty clear the rear springs are garbage at this point.
    I don't know - a lot of folks here complain the rear is too soft.

Excellent work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Have to disagree as you are not measuring springs at working point. In static load point spring has 390lbs of load, 150lbs is less than half. You will need another 250lbs of load to take the measurements.

When middle section locked out the stiffness of the spring should be higher. In installed position we had loaded trunk with fertilizer bags and height reduction was ~20% less on AD springs when compared to OEM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Have to disagree as you are not measuring springs at working point. In static load point spring has 390lbs of load, 150lbs is less than half. You will need another 250lbs of load to take the measurements.

When middle section locked out the stiffness of the spring should be higher. In installed position we had loaded trunk with fertilizer bags and height reduction was ~20% less on AD springs when compared to OEM.
    Here's the problem with this... what's the point of a first stage of a dual stage spring if you're only going to start taking measurements on the second stage?

At 150lbs the first stage is fully compressed plus some of the second stage.

Locking out the middle section isn't something that should even be approached when you're
    talking about buying springs that are part of a system designed to work together aka a coilover.

It is too soft. Period. I can hand compress the first stage to full compression. Too. Soft.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Littlestan For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-10-2016),Gnarles2 (04-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's the problem with this... what's the point of a first stage of a dual stage spring if you're only going to start taking measurements on the second stage?

Locking out the middle section isn't something that should even be approached when you're
    talking about buying springs that are part of a system designed to work together aka a coilover.

It is too soft. Period. I can hand compress the first stage to full compression. Too. Soft.
    +1 on this. One shouldn't have to add tubing over the spring wire to compensate for a too soft spring rate. It seems like a step backwards, to me.

I still wonder if lowering the rear suspension makes alignment problems worse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys are forgetting one thing, even if "the first stage" is xxx amount of pounds and second stage stiffer, the second stage is still stiff. And if you guys are saying the first stage gets locked out just by being installed on the car, that means you can only rate the stiffness by the second stage which is ****ing stiffer. The springs arent too soft they are hard as a rock. Its been days now since ive installed them and the stuffness is there, you can feel it in ever bump. So your argument thats its too soft is invalid. Please stop posting on my review with your bull****. You wanna ***** take it to your own thread. This is MY review of the springs. Any other opinion here is invalid.....

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    You guys are forgetting one thing, even if "the first stage" is xxx amount of pounds and second stage stiffer, the second stage is still stiff. And if you guys are saying the first stage gets locked out just by being installed on the car, that means you can only rate the stiffness by the second stage which is ****ing stiffer. The springs arent too soft they are hard as a rock. Its been days now since ive installed them and the stuffness is there, you can feel it in ever bump. So your argument thats its too soft is invalid. Please stop posting on my review with your bull****. You wanna ***** take it to your own thread. This is MY review of the springs. Any other opinion here is invalid.....
    This is a public forum. Any opinion is valid unless shown to be otherwise. Honestly, I'm
    surprised by your vitriolic seeing I've provided irrefutable evidence to back my claims.

The stiffness you feel is the spring being fully compressed when it shouldn't be. With
    far less travel left to provide any sort of quality, controlled ride. This makes for a poorer handling car
    than when using the stock rears, while using the stock shocks. Hence the skittering, lower than
    the front rear end, feeling every bump and being 'hard as rock'.

It is entirely possible to agree to disagree, nam. You're perfectly entitled to enjoy using the AD
    springs as is. But you could at least try swapping the rears back to OEM before stating what I'm saying
    is bull****. You don't know what you're missing out on! :-)
    Last edited by Littlestan; 04-10-2016 at 06:21 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlestan For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    This is a public forum. Any opinion is valid unless shown to be otherwise. Honestly, I'm
    surprised by your vitriolic seeing I've provided irrefutable evidence to back my claims.

The stiffness you feel is the spring being fully compressed when it shouldn't be. With
    far less travel left to provide any sort of quality, controlled ride. This makes for a poorer handling car
    than when using the stock rears, while using the stock shocks. Hence the skittering, lower than
    the front rear end, feeling every bump and being 'hard as rock'.

It is entirely possible to agree to disagree, nam. You're perfectly entitled to enjoy using the AD
    springs as is. But you could at least try swapping the rears back to OEM before stating what I'm saying
    is bull****. You don't know what you're missing out on! :-)
    I agree with your assessment Littlestan. The AD springs might "feel" stiffer because of the ride harshness but it's only because the spring is compressed and there isn't any travel left and it's just metal to metal contact with the coils. But hey, like you said if Namco likes that kind of ride, more power to him.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Hey namco sorry to set you off - didn't mean to light your fuse. To be honest, I am thankful that you - and others - have gone through the trouble to purchase a set of these, install them, and share your experience here on the forum. Thank you!

You are right - this is *your* review of the springs. In the end, nothing said here takes away from your enjoyment of them. So enjoy! Your experience is valued, no doubt. But I think you can appreciate that your interests simply will not be in line with everybody else here. There is too great a variety of interests here on this forum to expect anyone's opinion to fall in line one way or another.

What do you think - does that sound reasonable to you?
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-11-2016 at 12:18 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (10-14-2019),MetroMPG (04-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Let me explain it again: this is dual rate springs. They are designed to have one rate on compression and different on rebound. What is it for? To prevent suspension from oscillating. When you have different resonance frequency for rebound and compression it would keep suspension from resonance.

Now for the argument sake, let's say that AD springs are soft and have as you measured 50lbs. The springs are 11.5" uncompressed, to with 390lbs load they should be 11.5 - 8 = 3.5". If you look at the pictures I posted in another thread they are a little bit more, 8" to be precise.

With regards to your rant about middle shouldn't be locked: internet is full of coilovers which use this design. TEIN coilovers use this, other companies too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Let me explain it again: this is dual rate springs. They are designed to have one rate on compression and different on rebound. What is it for? To prevent suspension from oscillating. When you have different resonance frequency for rebound and compression it would keep suspension from resonance.

Now for the argument sake, let's say that AD springs are soft and have as you measured 50lbs. The springs are 11.5" uncompressed, to with 390lbs load they should be 11.5 - 8 = 3.5". If you look at the pictures I posted in another thread they are a little bit more, 8" to be precise.

With regards to your rant about middle shouldn't be locked: internet is full of coilovers which use this design. TEIN coilovers use this, other companies too.
    When you say 390lbs load, what exactly are you referring to? I'm a little lost to be honest. Also,
    are you talking about a single spring or both? Did you notice that I compressed the AD spring
    down 3" and it only took 159lbs and it was into the second stage at that point?

I'm trying to understand where you keep coming up with these numbers, sorry.

Regarding my 'rant' (just trying to keep to facts, not intending to be ranty) about the middle
    shouldn't be locked; I'm not saying it *shouldn't* be locked, I'm saying it's locking far too soon
    because it's crazy soft. Yes, other designs like coilovers use dual rate springs extensively, that's
    why I mentioned it. But is the first stage fully compressed just sitting there with the car at rest?
    I don't believe a well designed and functioning combo does this.