Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much damage am I doing?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    This is why buying a stick tranny Mirage isn't a great idea, it totally goes against the purpose of the vehicle.
    Uhh, no. Mitsubishi sells them with a manual transmission option because some people prefer the simplicity and direct control that this offers. This is how people with manual transmissions can get better real-world fuel economy than those with CVT, sometimes as much 5-10mpg better. It doesn't "totally [go] against the purpose of the vehicle", that makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    A potential huge repair bill is always looming should one borrow a car to a friend or if the owner is a first time manual driver. And should you decide to sell 90% of the buyers say" Oh no, It's a Stick!"
    No offense, but you're talking out your rear. A manual is almost always cheaper to fix or replace, because it's built to allow regular adjustment and clutch replacement. Automatic transmissions are incredibly complex, and because of this the cost to replace is often less than the cost of repairs. Factor in the labor costs, and I'd much rather pay for fixing a manual transmission than a CVT.

I've taught several people to drive stick in my car now, and I'm still on my first clutch.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrnBn For This Useful Post:

MysticMirage (02-15-2017),poorman1 (01-16-2017)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    Uhh, no. Mitsubishi sells them with a manual transmission option because some people prefer the simplicity and direct control that this offers. This is how people with manual transmissions can get better real-world fuel economy than those with CVT, sometimes as much 5-10mpg better. It doesn't "totally [go] against the purpose of the vehicle", that makes no sense whatsoever.

No offense, but you're talking out your rear. A manual is almost always cheaper to fix or replace, because it's built to allow regular adjustment and clutch replacement. Automatic transmissions are incredibly complex, and because of this the cost to replace is often less than the cost of repairs. Factor in the labor costs, and I'd much rather pay for fixing a manual transmission than a CVT.

I've taught several people to drive stick in my car now, and I'm still on my first clutch.
    I concur with GrnBn. Note that in highlighting the Mirage's fuel economy, Mitsubishi cites official fuel mileage figures using a base variant with a manual transmission.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I concur with GrnBn. Note that in highlighting the Mirage's fuel economy, Mitsubishi cites official fuel mileage figures using a base variant with a manual transmission.
    I thought they cited the CVT numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I thought they cited the CVT numbers.
    I have observed that fuel consumption figures are based on ideal conditions; in the case of the Mirage, the stick shift is the preferred parameter due to its lighter weight.

In Asean markets where the Mirage is sold, Mitsubishi claims maximum fuel economy figures (21km/liter) using the base GLX variant with a manual transmission.

Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-16-2017)