Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future of Sedans and Hatch's in the US where Mitsu is going

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Ditto, nearly all of the police vehicles around here are SUVs too. Mostly Explorers.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Ditto, nearly all of the police vehicles around here are SUVs too. Mostly Explorers.
    Same here in my area. Ford makes two types of police vehicles, which are called the Interceptors (sedan & suv). I don't think I've seen the sedan version of the Interceptor in my area. I have a friend who is semi-retired law enforcement. He is retired county deputy and now works city part-time. We got on the topic of police vehicles one day, & he didn't even realize a sedan version of the Inceptor even existed.

https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles...e-interceptor/

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi has already mentioned a future pursuing CUVs and SUVs, so there's that.

That being said, I cannot imagine every company out there simply abandoning smaller, inexpensive vehicles all together—and they won't be AWD subcompact CUVs. None of the Asian automakers have pulled out of the B-segment recently (other than Mazda, but that was a few years ago now). The old Yaris liftback is still around, Nissan still sells scads of Veras, Honda still sells the Fit, and of course Mitsubishi still peddles the Mirage. Hyundai switched things up by axing the hatchback Accent (although it's keeping the sedan) and there's a new Veloster coming out. Kia just redesigned the Rio, so it probably isn't going anywhere.

Sure, the Fiesta will go away, yes the Sonic seems to be headed the way of the dinosaur. Fiat is still chugging along (albeit, slowly), and Chevy is still offering the Spark, too. I think the herd might be getting culled, but I don't think the segment is headed for extinction yet.

What's interesting is that with the disappearance of the Fiesta, Ford's least expensive MSRP vehicle just jumped up by something like $5000.

That should drive more people into the arms of Mitsubishi/Nissan/Kia/Hyundai.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    With the insane cost of employees in auto manufacturing (I read something a while ago stating something near $70.00/hr incl wages, perks, benefits, ins, etc. per employee) I can see where they need higher priced vehicles going out the door. Since nobody will pay $50,000.00 for a fiesta they will stop making them to force buyers upscale to crossovers and suvs. Next thing you know they'll be putting best before dates on them to force new sales.
    Personally I think crossovers are Useless as they offer nothing over a regular sedan other than higher gas consumption and list price. Same for suvs which offer little sport and less utility with almost no towing capacity in anything under $50,000.00.
    What I really need is a vehicle that gets good fuel economy, will tow 3500 to 5500 lbs and costs no more than $35,000.00. I can drive it every day and still move a camper or atv without the purchase of a $60,000.00 gas guzzling truck.
    Say.. an RVR with a real trans and towing capacity.
    It surely goes against the environmental hype for auto makers to force consumers to run two vehicles when most people's needs could be met with one if it's designed properly.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 04-27-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    What's interesting is that with the disappearance of the Fiesta, Ford's least expensive MSRP vehicle just jumped up by something like $5000.

That should drive more people into the arms of Mitsubishi/Nissan/Kia/Hyundai.
    So I suppose the EcoSport will be the least expensive vehicle in the lineup, assuming they keep that model for the next few years. My guess is profits from B- and C-segment cars (and apparently mid-sized vehicles, like the Fusion) weren't making the numbers anymore. Small cars are extremely hard to make money on. Ford won't really have an entry-level vehicle anymore, unless you consider the EcoSport entry-level at $20,000.

So yeah, people looking for "cheap" new wheels will be going elsewhere.

I will be interested to see whether or not Chevrolet kill the Spark or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    In my little city, ALL the new police vehicles I've seen lately have been SUV's.
    Same here. I've seen a few Police Taurus' but never a Fusion. They use mostly new style Explorer's for around here, and for some reason 2wd Tahoes are always on the highways.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I will be interested to see whether or not Chevrolet kill the Spark or not.

Spark has a couple more years in it:

SEOUL -- General Motors' South Korean unit said on Monday it may discontinue its Spark minicar and replace it with a crossover as demand in the United States falls.

Sales for the Spark slumped 36 percent to 22,589 units in the U.S. last year.
    The article says it may be safe until 2022

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...hevrolet-spark

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like used car market will be bigger now? You can get an RX8 4speed for $4-5k, and some guy is selling a nice clean white manual for about $8k near me.

Problem with EVs is that they don't have good future value. Your EV will decrease in cost when a new model comes out with a better battery and mileage. An i-Miev starts at about $23k. At those prices might as well get an AWD Outlander. The Outlander PHEV starts at about $35k.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Here's a question:

Do we think the Mirage actually makes money for Mitsubishi in North America?

Or is it just a dealership loss leader / service department revenue generator? Something they will kick to the curb once they get another SUV in the line-up.