Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This review is unbelievable

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    I took to twitter to give her my opinion.

https://twitter.com/sarahsheltonink?lang=en
    I can't find it on twitter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the Honda fit comparison isn't a good one. Honda dealers are notorious for not being very flexible in prices, but the Mitsubishi can be had for considerably under MSRP. And the ride on the Fit is pretty darned harsh - at least the EX model. Also, Fit isn't as maneuverable as Mirage. I know because I've driven both extensively. Sure, Fit's the better car. And it should be for the extra $$.

The reviewer stated that many professional reviews were read in preparation for the article. He/she should have read a few owner reviews.

Closest currently available car to mirage? Spark, Smart, Versa? Have driven none of those in recent history, so no comment. Did drive a Versa quite a few years ago and all I remember was 'big' and comfy driver's seat. And bland.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Sure, Fit's the better car.
    I would challenge that statement because I think it is a relative statement. It all depends on what you are looking for. You have given plenty of reasons why the Fit might not be the better car.

Over the weekend, I visited some Fit forums and found out that there are a lot of dissatisfied Fit owners out there. On one there is even a thread "What don't you like about your Fit" or something to that effect. There were quite a few who said that the interior looked cheap and that the car rode cheap. The reviewer in the article I cited in the OP thought the Fit has a good interior and it was the Mirage that had a cheap interior. And let us not forget about gas mileage. The Mirage wins that hands-down.

So it really is relative as to what you are looking for. I can say that, for me, the Mirage is the better car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The great thing is, these small cars all feel kind of cheap. But mine is actually cheap. The Fit and the Scion xD always were around $18k and they're not worth it IMO.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe reviewers like these come from a car they reviewed that had more 'luxurious' options to it. Nowadays, it feels like most car reviewers out there come from a biased aspect before they drive or even understand a car.

I've driven/rented a Versa and, while it's obviously much stronger than a Mirage, the mileage is inaccurate. I wouldn't put my money on a Versa, Fit, Corolla or any model in that class. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The great thing is, these small cars all feel kind of cheap. But mine is actually cheap.
    Ha! That should be a bumper sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I believe reviewers like these come from a car they reviewed that had more 'luxurious' options to it. Nowadays, it feels like most car reviewers out there come from a biased aspect before they drive or even understand a car.
    I think you are right. If you look at their reviews of subcompacts, they are mostly negative. They are even pretty negative with expensive ones like the Mini Cooper. If people want to spend their money on "luxury" then it's their money and it's up to them. But we are all different, and a lot of us just want an affordable car that we can afford to keep filled with gas and not have to take out a second mortgage. I applaud Mitsubishi for recognizing this and filling the void.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The great thing is, these small cars all feel kind of cheap. But mine is actually cheap. The Fit and the Scion xD always were around $18k and they're not worth it IMO.
    I like the sentiment and the saying, but disagree that cars like the Fit feel cheap. It isn't cheap and, compared to the Mirage, it doesn't feel cheap. But, there is an 8K difference between the 10.5K I paid for my 2015 Mirage ES (after negotiation) and the 18.5K a friend paid for his Fit EX (negotiation doesn't get you very far at a Honda dealer). To me, the Mirage does feel cheap and the Fit doesn't. The 8K does make a difference.

The point a lot of reviewers try to make is that for not much more, one can get a compact car with similar or even better MPG numbers, so what's the point in the buying the subcompact? For me, the point is that I like driving a very small car. And try getting a compact hatch such as a Chevy Cruz or Mazda 3 for 'just a bit more'. Not happening. Not even with a 2 year old used compact hatch. The lone exception that comes to mind is Toyota / Scion IQ. And if my Mirage were gone, I'd probably at least test drive one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you trust more:

The opinion of a professional car reviewer that drove the car for less than an hour.

or

The opinion of people that own the car and have driven it for over a year.

Also keep in mind that customers are highly motivated to complain when writing a review and point out shortcomings. So I really lean towards user reviews more than a pro (who may even be getting bribed to say a certain thing). When doing my research.

And on this car the reviews from owners are generally positive. Its an inexpensive and no-frills econobox designed to take you from point A to point B. But I would never call it "uncomfortable". Drives fine and feels fine. Gets the job done. And reliable.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-11-2017)

I really doubt this "reviewer" even drove the car. Are they saying they have 19 reviewers of their own or did they just read 19 other reviews and copy what the majority of them had to say? :
    "We Did the Research for You: 19 Reviews Analyzed
    For our 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage review, we analyzed viewpoints from 19 professional car reviews. We combined these evaluations with information such as fuel economy, safety features, and reliability ratings to help you decide if the Mirage is the right car for you".

How can they predict reliability? Surely this "reviewer" was dropped on their head as a child(or as an adult) one too many times.

I don't see them talking about operating/maintenance costs. There is no timing belt to replace every 100,000miles, and you only need to buy 3 spark plugs at 100,000 miles not 4.... What does it cost to keep an Audi or Mercedes on the road for 100,000miles? Bad comparison but it's something to think about.

Has anyone heard "transmission noise"? I can't say I have but I've only driven the cvt Mirage's.

The Mirage seem safe to me, I wouldn't want to get hit by a train in one but I try to make it a habit to not park on train tracks when trains are coming. 3 car's have been in pretty good accidents here and everyone walked away uninjured. One was even hit in the side by a garbage truck that blew threw a stop sign, another hit a deer that nailed the windshield.

As mentioned the Mirage isn't for everyone. But for someone to say it's a bad car and people should avoid and buy something that costs considerably more is stupid.

Sorry for my poorly put together rambling but I'm definitely not a writer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

bolo (10-12-2017),Cobrajet (10-12-2017),inuvik (10-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To me it is over the top to advise people not to buy a particular car unless that car is indeed a piece of junk. The Mirage is certainly no piece of junk. Among owners, it has proven itself reliable and that is one of the reasons I bought the car. I don't care what the "predicted reliability" is. I'm concerned with real-world experience with this car. In any case, take another look at what the article advises:

Even if your budget is extremely tight, you probably should not buy a Mirage, as its shortcomings heavily outweigh its positives.
    I have driven my Mirage now for almost two weeks. I have found no shortcomings that "heavily outweigh its positives." In fact, I find the opposite that its positives heavily outweigh any shortcomings.

According to the review, these are the Mirages shortcomings:

Performance-wise, its engine is sluggish, its transmission is loud, and ride quality is harsh. Interior grievances include low-rent materials, uncomfortable front seats, and a cramped back seat.
    Oh my, where to begin. The engine is not sluggish. It is rather peppy for an engine with only 3 cylinders. I drive a manual transmission, and I have noticed no - nada, zip, zero - transmission noise. I don't know about the CVT, but that is definitely not true about the manual transmission. The ride quality is not harsh. In fact, it rides definitely smoother than my previous 2007 Toyota Yaris. I know this for a fact because I live back a lane with pot holes.

About the interior ... The materials may be "low rent" when compared to a more luxurious car, but the Mirage is not and does not pretend to be a luxury car. It is a practical car with great fuel economy. Moreover, the materials are adequate and functional. I do not find the front seats uncomfortable. I don't know where they are getting that. I think the comfort of seats is a matter of taste and the condition of one's back, and it does not belong in a review as one of the previous posters pointed out. I have a touchy back, and I require more rigid seats if I am to be able to walk after a long car ride. Soft, plush seats kill my back. But, again, that's me and my taste. Others have different tastes. I cannot address the space of the back seats because I have not sat there in the two weeks I've owned my Mirage.

That whole article is nothing more than a hatchet job on a great little car. When I read that a car is not a good car, I think that it has lots of reliability problems and will cost the owner an arm and a leg to own the thing. I would think that it would be lucky to roll off the showroom floor. This is definitely NOT the case with the Mirage.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bolo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-12-2017),inuvik (10-12-2017)