Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I wait until April to Buy 2015 Mirage (new)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The cheapest car to drive is one that's paid off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-29-2016),deleted user (02-29-2016),inuvik (02-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Do you think I should wait until April to get a better deal?
    You think I will get a cheaper price?
    Yes...and yes. But I just joined the forum, so don't listen to me.

I'm also considering a new DE 5-speed if I can find one in the $9,000 ball-park. Prices aren't there yet, but some of the bigger dealers are getting close. I'm not in a hurry because it looks like a number of factors could be making this a buyer's market:

1. Gas is cheap and consumers are generally short-sighted. Who needs a fuel efficient car right now?

2. There's an updated Mirage coming in 2 months. Why would someone want a leftover 2015?

3. Mirage US sales were down 44% in January vs. January 2015. It's worth waiting to see if lower Mirage sales becomes a trend and forces larger incentives.

4. This is anecdotal, but it seems like there are plenty of these cars still sitting at dealers. Some of these mega-dealers have 100+ Mirages in stock. My local dealer has had the same 10 cars in stock for the past couple of months and it appears that they aren't moving. When I do a nation-wide search on cars.com, the number of Mirages has been fairly consistent...or even going up?!?

Here's a dealer in the Cleveland area advertising DE 5-speeds for $9995 (including an $1810 allowance for any piece of junk you can bring in...whatever that means). It makes me wonder what the "real" cash price of the car is.

My biggest concern is the lack of 5-speed cars out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

deleted user (02-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Sorry you feel that you got ripped on your Fiesta purchase. The really sad thing, is how much you're going to lose, between the depreciation hit and if you trade it in. Why are you wanting a new car now? Are you hating the Fiesta, or just wanting something new? Economically speaking, the best thing to do is just bite the bullet and continue to drive the Fiesta. Next best, might be to sell the Fiesta yourself, then buy a used Mirage or marked down 2015. Just playing devil's advocate here.
    I only want to sell the Fiesta because I want to drive a stickshift rather than automatic. But I would never dream of trading the car in, that is a total rip off. I made that mistake once and will never make it again.

Hopefully I can get at least 8000 for the Fiesta and then will see about getting a used or new mirage. Looks like I wont be doing any buying until the end of March

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ TopFuel,

Yes I answered an ad that was advertised in the 9,000 arena but when I called the dealer to get the out the door price it was $12,500 after all the dealer fees and the "internet price" factors all the rebates which very few people would qualify for

@ eggman,

Yes you are correct as far as practicality is concerned. Sigh =(

Speaking of waiting until April.....If I can get a 2017 for $1000 more than the 2015 than it would be foolish to buy the 2015 at all (because when I go to sell it in 4 or 5 years it will be worth $2000 less than the 2017 would have been)

In addition to that, having the 2017's on the dealership lots will significantly slash the price of used 2015's as well so there are many valid reasons to wait until May to buy
    Last edited by fc321; 02-29-2016 at 01:40 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The wife decided to try to trade in her Sorento on an new KIA. They offered her $11k for her car, bought there, perfectly maintained, 4 years old with just over 40k miles. I was not there, kind of knew the outcome but did not want to observe the fiasco. 3 hours later when she got home, she had a headache, was totally disgusted and vowed to never buy another car from that dealership. They contacted her after a few days and upped their trade in offer to $13k, about half the original price.

I told her, "It looks to me like you left with the best car deal you could possibly get, the same car you drove in there."

With almost 50k left on the power train warranty, at half the original price, needing not a dang thing, shiny as brand new, it's still sitting there, paid for since new. They do send her a check for about $90 a year for the difference in their originally claimed 32 mpg highway and the current 28-9. Cheaper taxes, insurance and none of the new car fees, taxes and registration costs that the state has been hiking up by large chunks every year.

Will it be worth nothing in 4 more years with 80k miles or less?

Sure, LOL.

It took me 32 minutes to buy my Mirage, from a dealership I had never been to in my life. Family owned and I had fun. They even offered me a one year newer car for $95 more out the door.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 02-29-2016 at 01:44 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post

It took me 32 minutes to buy my Mirage, from a dealership I had never been to in my life. Family owned and I had fun. They even offered me a one year newer car for $95 more out the door.

regards
    mech
    I had a great experience at my Mitsu dealer too. Small family dealership also. I did everything over the phone before I got there. Walked in, signed the documents. Could have been in and out in less than 10 minutes but I BS'ed with the owner's son (new car manager) for about 15 minutes so I was there about 25 minutes total.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ours took a couple hours, but that was due to error on trade in title. Someone at DMV punched 33 instead of BB on VIN #, so dealer spent an hour+ on the phone with them in front of us.

We found deal over Internet and called and confirmed over the phone, so it was a catwalk otherwise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys Officially they just put $3500 in rebates on 2015 mirages time to buy is now!
    There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dontee For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (03-02-2016),Daox (03-01-2016),davidricardo86 (03-01-2016),Eggman (03-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, thats crazy.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I waited a couple years to buy mine, and mostly due to the discrepancy between the "build and price" price of the corporate web-site and the dealer price. I went in a couple times willing to pay the full retail price, only to be told I had to pay an extra $2000 or so in "fees" that were made to seem like some sort of mandatory government fee, but were not. Had the dealership and corporate web-site been more transparent I would have bought one sooner.

If I were buying now, I would certainly go with a used one, as they depreciate quite a bit and there are some low-mileage ones available. If not used, why not take advantage of the few improvements of the 2017 (as well as better resale, should it come to that).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)