Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    My mistake, Inuvik, is now see it's in CAD. Sorry, but I've been burned before by ambiguous pricing and come to expect it online. That is a much more reasonable price, especially if they hold up as well as the oem ones. I see they also do a 2-8 day shipping for about $0.14 more.

Sorry, my response came off a little harsh- I've been in the situation where Americans genuinely don't realize our dollar is much weaker and that shipping rates to Canada are often exorbitant.
    This may be a stupid question but wouldn't the shipping and exchange rates be a wash when comparing OEM and aftermarket prices? For example if the OEM shock was twice the aftermarket shock in the states, wouldn't it still be twice as much in Canada?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but wouldn't the shipping and exchange rates be a wash when comparing OEM and aftermarket prices? For example if the OEM shock was twice the aftermarket shock in the states, wouldn't it still be twice as much in Canada?
    This may be true, but only if you're concerned with a matter of principal. Realistically, everyone has a budget. Twice $2 is much easier to swallow than twice $500. I just personally don't understand why Fram doesn't have our back on the air filter business... the thing should cost $10 or so, not $30-$40.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a 9-11k car. No other new car comes close in features or warranty for that low price.

Spend 5k more and you shouldn't have trouble finding filters for half price. Not sure if you will make the difference back though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    My mistake, Inuvik, is now see it's in CAD. Sorry, but I've been burned before by ambiguous pricing and come to expect it online. That is a much more reasonable price, especially if they hold up as well as the oem ones. I see they also do a 2-8 day shipping for about $0.14 more.

Sorry, my response came off a little harsh- I've been in the situation where Americans genuinely don't realize our dollar is much weaker and that shipping rates to Canada are often exorbitant.

No worries! Not all us here in 'Merica are oblivious to our neighbors above the 49th!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (06-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I seem to recall a fleet owner on here that owned about 25 mirages for delivery services. I think he reported that many of them had low to mid 100K miles on them and had all been essentially trouble free. Hopefully prices on repair items come down but I don't think you will need to replace too much stuff on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I seem to recall a fleet owner on here that owned about 25 mirages for delivery services. I think he reported that many of them had low to mid 100K miles on them and had all been essentially trouble free. Hopefully prices on repair items come down but I don't think you will need to replace too much stuff on this car.
    If your're thinking of me, I'm definitely not an owner. My work has 35 Mirage's and I just fix em.

And I believe aftermarket parts cost more in Canada than the states. A lot of parts come from the USA into Canada and after you factor in our crappy dollar then shipping, retailers don't have much choice than to ask more. Nobody here can compete with place's like rockauto.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-09-2017 at 02:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    It's a 9-11k car. No other new car comes close in features or warranty for that low price.

Spend 5k more and you shouldn't have trouble finding filters for half price. Not sure if you will make the difference back though.
    You're probably right- it takes a lot of '$20 more' to add up to $5k, especially considering that the Mirage is also unmatched in fuel economy. No turbo to worry about, no crazily fluctuating diesel prices to be concerned with, either. (my previous vehicle, a Smart ForTwo diesel was a nightmare- talk about aftermarket parts availability problems!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If your're thinking of me, I'm definitely not an owner. My work has 35 Mirage's and I just fix em.
    Fummins, I seem to recall you are out of Leduc? Do most of the Mirages you fix go up and down highway 2, or secondary roads? I'm interested to know how long the suspension parts typically last on comparable roads to what I drive. I do 200km daily on the QE2.

I don't know exactly where they all drive. I'm sure you've probably seen some of them. It's a mix of everything I guess. One car sees all highway everyday and it'll probably be over 300000kms by this fall. But the suspensions are holding up fine. Haven't had to change anything yet suspension wise. Everything is tight. For a cheap car it's pretty low maintenance and cheap to keep running.
    200km a day is a lot. Do you use it for work or just a long commute?
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-09-2017 at 06:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know where they all drive. I'm sure you've probably seen some of them. It's a mix of everything I guess. One car sees all highway everyday and it'll probably be over 300000kms by this fall. But the suspensions are holding up fine. Haven't had to change anything yet suspension wise. Everything is tight. For a cheap car it's pretty low maintenance and cheap to keep running.
    200km a day is a lot. Do you use it for work or just a long commute?
    Just a long commute- Ponoka to Edmonton and back each day. Good to hear that they hold up well- I'm hoping to get this one to 400,000km. Might be a bit optimistic, but we'll see. I put on exactly 70,000km in the last year. Do you guys run winter tires on yours, if so which brand have you had best luck with?