Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads life

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Brake pads life

Hi All,

What is the life expectancy of brake pads? The milage is about 12,000 and pads worn out about 80-90%.
    Is it normal?
    Normally I'm trying to drive quietly, no sudden braking. Average consumption is about 55 MPG.

Mirage 3 1.2 CVT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy78 View Post
    Hi All,

What is the life expectancy of brake pads? The milage is about 12,000 and pads worn out about 80-90%.
    Is it normal?
    Normally I'm trying to drive quietly, no sudden braking. Average consumption is about 55 MPG.

Mirage 3 1.2 CVT
    just curious how have you determined they are that worn? cuz that sounds just wrong

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Much to soon as stated above .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Brake pad wear, when the car is operating properly, is impacted by vehicle weight and driving style.

Weight isn't a big issue with the Mirage, but driving style can cause brake pads to wear out quickly or last a very long time.

I had an '03 Galant that had disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear - like our Mirages. At 70,000 miles I had replaced the front brakes and the rear shoes still had over 50% thickness left on them.

Generally, the front brakes do most of the work and wear out faster than the rears. I've always gotten about 35,000 miles on a vehicle before I start thinking about having the brakes checked. They are usually getting ready for replacement about this mileage .

If they are wearing out after 20,000 miles, I'd say there is either a problem with the brake system causing excessive wear, or, you're driving style is causing wear that exceeds the norm. Things like aggressive braking or riding the brake while driving can cause premature wear while the system is operating properly.

I'd have the brakes checked by the dealer soon. Pads are cheap to replace and the cost doesn't vary much between the dealer and shops like Midas, Tuffy, etc.

If you wear through the pads, things get progressively more expensive as you will ruin the discs in the front, or the drums in the rear.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I'm already at 20K km and the pads on the mirage are still thick and I believe it will still last until 30k-35k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think that the pads are not top quality because I've already seen buildup dust from the the pads on the wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I think that the pads are not top quality because I've already seen buildup dust from the the pads on the wheels.
    A bit of dust on the rim is no indicator of quality, it's an indicator of type/construction.
    Traditional pads make brake dust !
    You want less dust, use ceramic pads... no, they're not better, just different.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    A bit of dust on the rim is no indicator of quality, it's an indicator of type/construction.
    Traditional pads make brake dust !
    You want less dust, use ceramic pads... no, they're not better, just different.
    If the performance/quality is the same, then the ones that don't foul the wheels are better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    If the performance/quality is the same, then the ones that don't foul the wheels are better.
    I think IchabodCrane is referring to the difference between metallic and ceramic brake pads. In this case, there is no 'better'. There is only better in the context of what you're seeking. Unless material sciences have progressed to the point where this is no longer true, you go for metallic for pure stopping power - bad side=brake dust. Ceramics don't have the raw stopping power of metallic, but on the up side, no break dust, more longevity.

For normal, everyday drivers, it's no question that ceramics are the way to go. On my old Mazda before my Mirage, I had replaced the brake pads with long life ceramics and had forgotten for 5 years about them until I felt the car could do for some new pads.

By the way, I have not gotten the wheels off the Mirage yet. Does this mean we have metallic stock instead of ceramic?

-Charlie-

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    just curious how have you determined they are that worn? cuz that sounds just wrong
    I've been told during first service. And pads become noisy few weeks ago.