Thread: YouTube Professional Reviewers keep bad-mouthing the Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

YouTube Professional Reviewers keep bad-mouthing the Mirage

I got so angry at this video that I started to insult some of the people

A video called The Mitsubishi Mirage Is the Worst New Car You Can Buy

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=5aCsNs3eYTE

If you must watch it than watch it on hooktube instead of youtube so that you dont give anymore hits to the creep that made it.

Im tired of hearing these lies and exaggerations from these pro reviewers, a bunch of stuck up snobs and using clickbait titles to get traffic to them.

I guess thats what is popular now: To throw mud at sub-compacts and to imply that the owners of sub-compacts are "poor people that cant afford any better".

Well I don't know about the rest of you folks but I can easily afford a 25k car if I actually was stupid enough to finance one of them. But unlike the typical irresponsible American who collects all their coins and buys the most expensive car that the pile of coins will afford......I have a better idea. Buy the cheapest car that meets my goals and then save the extra coins for the future or to invest them in an ETF for example. A typical index ETF fund over the last 2 years is up over 35%. If you had stuck 10k dollars in that you would have $3500 of profit today. Much better than money lost in a car payment.

The Mirage is far from "the worst car you could buy". What a lie that statement is.... think of all the cars that have had major recalls and problems. I haven't visited the dealer even once since I bought mine 2 years ago. I got 63 mpg today in city driving. And society is trumpeting the praises for the Buick CUV because it reached 25 mpg. I cant remember the last time I got under 38 mpg, I think it was when a train got stuck on the tracks and we all had to sit there and I finally turned off the engine after 10 minutes.

Not to mention the street parking where my car fits and 90% of others do not. Not to mention the fact that thieves rarely break into a mirage. Not to mention that cops hardly ever pull over a Mirage for "looking suspicious".

They call the Mirage a 3rd world car that has been brought to USA/Canada. And they are correct about that. It is a car from the 3rd world designed for one thing: EFFICIENCY. And thats the car I want. Carmakers around the globe where challenged to design and build a car that would be the cheapest to operate and maintain in the 3rd world and one carmaker stepped up to the challenge: Mitsubishi.

In essence Mitsubishi answered the question "Whats the cheapest and most efficient way to get from point A to point B"

And that is the car they designed. And Yes, its built on older technology. Older technology that is tried and true. And thats what I want. No surprise break downs and recalls. I want tried and true technology, not the latest Gizmos and 10 speed computer shifted transmissions and 200 sensors that go off prematurely over nothing.

It makes me ashamed to be an American. At the restaurant in USA I look around and see most people ordering a coca cola or an orange juice with their meals at a huge markup! What is the matter with these people? Dont they have the self discipline to just drink free water? What a weak-willed culture. A culture of squandering and wasting. They simply do not have the self-discipline to delay their immediate gratification. If i want to squander an extra 10k I may as well use it to upgrade my house. Because when I sell my house I am going to make over 200k profit.

And you now the best thing about saving your money? You keep doing it and your 10k becomes 20k and then 40k and then 100k of savings that you can squirrel away and one day you can even start your own business and become a Millionaire. One day you will have that option. And option that will never exist for SUV buyers who are mortgaged to the hilt.

And after that you can fly first class and stay at 5 star hotels every time. But be smart and wait until "you arrive" and wait until you earn the privilege. Dont be a fool that flies first class today. If you eat your seeds you will never sow the true harvest.

In the final analysis I think that the reason I get so offended by these pro reviewers is that they dont give Mitsubishi the credit that they are due. It is all about efficiency. I dont believe in Communism for a second but if I was the president of a Communist country than which car would I purchase 5 million of them that would give me the greatest bang for my buck and every citizen would drive it?

Efficiency is about getting the maximum OUTPUTS from the most minimal INPUTS. That is what the Mirage is doing. Can the Yaris or the Spark or the Versa or the Fit measure up? Nope. None of those cars justify the increase in price.

We had a family trip to Disney World last year and my brother in law who comes from Peru in South America (almost all cars are stick over there and he grew up driving sticks. Then moved to USA has not driven stick in over 15 years). He kept begging me to drive the car so I let him drive it for 1 hour of the trip. Then he kept asking me to drive it "Are you tired? You ok? Let me drive for awhile". Well no thank you. This is my toy. I avoid Valet restaurants last time I was at Benihana I saw the valet driving around the lot over 8 times I had to shout at him to park the damn car, this is not a joyride. Everytime I see a valet their eyes light up because they want to drive a stick. They get more excited than if I drove up in a Ferrari with automatic transmission.

So make no mistake, this car is fun as hell to drive in manual transmission. My God, it is so much fun to push the pedal to the metal and redline this engine. Its like a Porsche that wont get you in trouble.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

2of9 (05-10-2018),Eggman (05-10-2018),inuvik (05-10-2018),MetroMPG (05-15-2018)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "By Doug DeMuro"

I'm surprised at the level of support by the comments in the Youtube video. When it comes to reviewing economy cars never listen people who review high end sports cars and luxury vehicles. I love Jeremy Clarkson and Co. but I would not listen to them when buying an eco box. Well maybe James May, but thats really it.

I did notice he did say "mitsubishi is having trouble selling the Mirage and that's why you can get it so cheaply." This was a statement I didn't understand because its selling really well and keeps improving every year due to interest in the eco box market.

Great thing about buying a Mirage is you can save money then buy a used RX8 for $5-8k if you want.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

2of9 (05-10-2018),fc321 (05-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    So make no mistake, this car is fun as hell to drive in manual transmission. My God, it is so much fun to push the pedal to the metal and redline this engine. Its like a Porsche that wont get you in trouble.
    EPIC freakin' post. The choir is well pleased.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Thankful for the Mirage!

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I got so angry at this video that I started to insult some of the people

A video called The Mitsubishi Mirage Is the Worst New Car You Can Buy

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=5aCsNs3eYTE

The Mirage is far from "the worst car you could buy". What a lie that statement is.... think of all the cars that have had major recalls and problems. I haven't visited the dealer even once since I bought mine 2 years ago. I got 63 mpg today in city driving. And society is trumpeting the praises for the Buick CUV because it reached 25 mpg. I cant remember the last time I got under 38 mpg, I think it was when a train got stuck on the tracks and we all had to sit there and I finally turned off the engine after 10 minutes.

Not to mention the street parking where my car fits and 90% of others do not. Not to mention the fact that thieves rarely break into a mirage. Not to mention that cops hardly ever pull over a Mirage for "looking suspicious".

They call the Mirage a 3rd world car that has been brought to USA/Canada. And they are correct about that. It is a car from the 3rd world designed for one thing: EFFICIENCY. And thats the car I want. Carmakers around the globe where challenged to design and build a car that would be the cheapest to operate and maintain in the 3rd world and one carmaker stepped up to the challenge: Mitsubishi.

If you do a "Mitsubishi Mirage Review" search on youtube.com, the mentioned review pops up first. That's sad! Reading your reaction was almost therapeutic. Fellow Mirage owners give me a glimmer of hope!

In all honesty, I am little disappointed in the Eclipse Cross. It's so similar to everything else. Why compete with that? What's the point? I'm not saying it's not a nice vehicle. Nothing about it stands out. If Mitsubishi would have put their time, money, & resources into designing a small affordable pickup for the U.S. market, they would have been much better off. Rather than compete against the CRV, RAV4, Escape, Equinox/Terrain, Sportage, Tucson, Forester, let alone the Outlander/Outlander Sport, & etc... A small pickup would be competing against ?????

I appreciate Mitsubishi bringing the Mirage to the U.S. market. There's hope for the Mirage, because it is a big part of a world market. The U.S. market alone would ruin a car like this. The Mirage would become something most of us that bought one would not be interested in.

Overall, Mitsubishi could do a much better job of marketing the Mirage. Their dealerships are all over the place in pricing, & I believe that is working against them. The Mirage is a great value, but that message gets somewhat lost. The Mirage is affordable, reliable, and economical. The market for something like that should be huge! Yet, a brand as big as Ford is dropping most of their cars in the U.S. How sad!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't stand watching Doug's reviews. There are a couple car friends that find him annoying to watch. I tried watching a few of his videos but I just can't stand his reviews.

It's a bummer the Mirage gets bad reviews because I think it's actually the car everyone needs to drive, in my opinion. I think the other reviews like KBB, Motor Trend, etc give it a bad review because those reviewers are already immediately biased. Those reviews are coming back from reviewing cars that have more luxuries to fit their needs. It's difficult to read reviews from Motor Trend, C&D, etc because it feels like they're paid to write consistently positive reviews on a car to keep that car brand that gives them money. Even on youtube, it's difficult to watch reviews because most of the reviews are geared towards people that don't know how to change their own oil vs actually comparing the car to several other models in it's class.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got it from all sides when that video came out, as I'd already bought my Mirage, and been autocrossing it for a while. "Loren, check this out..."

Most of my friends get that Doug is just a nitpicky dude, and his reviews are full of nitpicky ****. The Mirage video was no exception. He hated the car, as 98% of all car reviewers do. The last car they drove was the latest entry-level BMW, and they're trying to compare it to that, when they SHOULD be comparing it to a late-90's 3-cylinder Geo Metro, which is its spiritual predecessor.

That said, it's TRUE, the Mirage is an awful little car! It really is. But, if you accept it for what it is, it's a brilliant piece of engineering. To create what they did with the singular focus of keeping it cheap and economical (which, in my world translates to "cheap and LIGHT"), it truly stunning. The more you look at the car, the more you see thoughtful little touches that go to making the car either lighter or easier to assemble (and disassemble and maintain). Haters see these things as "cheesy", but they are very much intentional, and part of what makes the car what it is.

You either "get it" or you don't. Doug clearly doesn't get it, which renders his opinion irrelevant on this car. It would be like having me do a review on a new Ford Excursion. I don't "get it", and I would trash everything about it. To the person who does get it (or the rare person who actually NEEDS it), my opinion would be irrelevant.

I thought about doing a counter-review to Doug's, but I never got around to it. I guess I still could. The Mirage review for people who "get it".
    Last edited by Loren; 05-10-2018 at 08:38 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

2of9 (05-11-2018),fc321 (05-12-2018),Fummins (05-11-2018),MetroMPG (05-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I thought about doing a counter-review to Doug's, but I never got around to it. I guess I still could. The Mirage review for people who "get it".
    That would be a much needed review. I hope you do one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-12-2018),MetroMPG (05-15-2018)

I actually used to like some of Dougs videos. But he is a moron. And just belches out verbal diarrhea at times that is completely wrong. I watched his "review" of the top of the line Titan diesel last night. He was rambling on about how it's the first time he's ever seen an auto shift button on a column shift. It's been on a few trucks since the mid 2000's. Then he was whining about how the rear floor mats don't say anything on them but the fronts do. It's not a Mercedes driven made to be driven by a chauffeur. It does get annoying seeing all this misinformation and complaints about stuff that really isn't an issue at all for the average joe blow. Doug is only 29, I figured he was a little older than that. He's definitely snotty and prefer's European vehicles. Maybe he should stick to reviewing them.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

2of9 (05-11-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    He's definitely snotty and prefer's European vehicles. Maybe he should stick to reviewing them.
    European eh?

Wonder what he thinks about the Name:  266px-2012-03-07_Motorshow_Geneva_4645.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  9.8 KBSeat Mii, Name:  C1_op_autosalon.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  36.8 KBCitroën C1 or Name:  512px-Seicento_SX_2001.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  60.7 KB or Fiat Seicento. All European Compacts, all more heavy and less inner room than a Mirage. The base trims also have a weaker engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-11-2018),inuvik (05-11-2018),Marklovski (05-15-2018),MetroMPG (05-15-2018)

Hey don't be nit picky! I meant mid to full size European luxury cars that are sold in North america.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)