Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater for 2014 Mirage?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    Since the cartridge is a US one, I think it will only work with 110V instead of European 220v ?

But it's good to see that it fits more vehicles than the Mirage - keep up the good research skills !

The point is, with the knowledge it fits certain other vehicles, we can check out numerous sources and choose the cheapest source.

Of course it will be for 230V if sold for Europe!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-13-2016),uheym (01-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    Since the cartridge is a US one, I think it will only work with 110V instead of European 220v ?
    Wire two of them in series. For example, install one cartridge block heater and one oil pan hot pad heater.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-26-2016)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Just a heads up, my local NAPA (and hopefully yours) has the KAT 11812 engine block heater for $33.99! With my AAA discount and tax, it came to $32.90. I know that I wont need it for many months, but at least I've got it for when I do. And hopefully I'll be installing it before it's too cold to want to do so.

Attachment 2712

Just ordered one myself, thanks a ton for the info, should be here Friday. I love the idea of just sticking it into a hole and not taking anything apart. Got a wall receptacle about 3 feet from the location of the heater element in my car, maybe won't even need a cord.

I like the idea of the hood up so I won't forget the dang thing.

First block heater for me, ever.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 01-13-2016 at 08:44 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Got it faster than they predicted. Installation was easy, some high temp silicone where it meets the block 3 double wire ties and marked the garage wall with tape so I can get the plug to my wall socket, without any extension cord. Leave the hood up so I don't forget and drive off with it still plugged in.

Second time, used it this morning. Plugged in for about 50 minutes, left headed east. Green engine cold light went out in half the time it normally would when outside temps are in the 90s like mid summer. Significant improvement in cold start mileage. I hit 60.8 mpg today on the first leg of my local trip. For my short haul trip last night I hit 50 mpg in 2 miles, almost a mile shorter distance that same route last summer.

Last night the temp in the garage was 57 degrees F, this am it was about 48-50.

Less valve noise on the initial cold start and 35 mpg average within .3 mile from my garage to the end of the neighborhood, a new record regardless of outside temp.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the NAPA tip wellswebdesign!

I just got mine today. Feels a little loose fit in the hole so I put a light coat of dielectric lube on it.

I'm in Florida but it gets freezing cold on some mornings here too. I will report back here if I see a significant difference on the MID!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I left the block heater plugged in over night. I figured it consumes about 30 cents worth of electricity doing that.
    But in the morning I had frost on the roof of my house even though ambient temp was supposedly around 40°F.

I keep a small scanner in the glove box and I plugged it in to see coolant temp. ECT was 100°F to start my morning commute vs. I guess it would've been 40°F without the block heater.

The green cold coolant light went off in 0.5 miles from my house vs.2.5 miles on a cold morning like this. (I make it my goal to keep that green cold coolant light on as long a distance as I can from my house because even it seems contradictory I think it means I covered a longer distance on less fuel if it is still green at a certain waypoint than if it already went off before that point!?)

At the end of the first road I take (3 miles from house) I like to see the display just over 60 MPG.This morning it said 74.3 MPG!

Then I have to take a highway where I have to pick up the pace to match the speed of the 'wild idiots' where the MPG will drop until I get close to a town again but the block heater really gave me good head start so to speak.

When I get to work on a cold morning I usually see 60-62 MPG displayed and today it said 69.9 MPG!
    (on a saturday with little traffic I am always 70+ despite the cold so still traffic/speed is the biggest MPG killer)

Besides the MPG it is better for the engine not to have to fight the cold!

Why did I not do this sooner? Thanks again for the info posted here guys!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-19-2016),MetroMPG (02-19-2016),wellswebdesign (02-19-2016)

Yup! There are good reasons that Toyota hybrids store hot coolant in an insulated reservoir when you shut the car off.

I've been known to plug in my car's 800w coolant heater even in the summer for 15 minutes or so. Can't beat a warm start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's awesome. If you've got a set schedule, a timer would be a good idea. Even with the block heater on for 90-120 minutes at temps around 0F, I had somewhere around 50-60 degree coolant.

I just wish the block heater were inductive instead of plugin. Fiddling with the plug with freezing, gloved hands is no fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yup! There are good reasons that Toyota hybrids store hot coolant in an insulated reservoir when you shut the car off.
    Does anyone offer this as an aftermarket for any other cars? I can't imagine a vehicle that wouldn't benefit from this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Not that I'm aware of. Too expensive, bulky & complicated as an aftermarket add-on for a car that wasn't designed for it. Plumbing, computer, electric coolant pump, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)