Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Installed the Rokford Fosgate Stereo System on their '17?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Has Anyone Installed the Rokford Fosgate Stereo System on their '17?

I purchased the kit when I bought the car a couple weeks ago (17 Mirage SE) and I got the kit to the house today.

On the top page of the installation instruction sheets says in all caps:

IF THIS IS BEING INSTALLED IN A MIRAGE WITH DISPLAY AUDIO WITH SMARTPHONE LINK RADIO HEADUNIT THEN A REFLASH OF AMPLIFIER MUST BE PERFORMED. FAILING TO PERFORM THE REFLASH CAN RESULT IN ISSUES WITH THE SOUND QUALITY THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY SPEAKERS.

If anyone has installed this on their '17 (SE or GT) can you comment on sound quality or if it is a real necessity to have the amp reflashed? I know I'm probably going to have to head back to the dealership if the sound is really awful but if anyone has some insight that would be awesome.

TIA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggypooper View Post
    I purchased the kit when I bought the car a couple weeks ago...
    There's a kit available to add the Rockford Fosgate upgrade to a factory radio?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There's a kit available to add the Rockford Fosgate upgrade to a factory radio?
    Yes. For all '14-'17 Mirages. It's part number AMG14EAB01.

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-PREMIUM-AUDIO-SYSTEM-UPGRADE-FITS-2014-2017-MITSUBISHI-MIRAGE-/291794260514
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-12-2017 at 12:29 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I purchased the kit when I bought the car a couple weeks ago (17 Mirage SE) and I got the kit to the house today.

On the top page of the installation instruction sheets says in all caps:

IF THIS IS BEING INSTALLED IN A MIRAGE WITH DISPLAY AUDIO WITH SMARTPHONE LINK RADIO HEADUNIT THEN A REFLASH OF AMPLIFIER MUST BE PERFORMED. FAILING TO PERFORM THE REFLASH CAN RESULT IN ISSUES WITH THE SOUND QUALITY THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY SPEAKERS.

If anyone has installed this on their '17 (SE or GT) can you comment on sound quality or if it is a real necessity to have the amp reflashed? I know I'm probably going to have to head back to the dealership if the sound is really awful but if anyone has some insight that would be awesome.

TIA
    You might be the 'guinea pig' on this one...I am not aware of anyone else who has installed one of these. Please let us know how it goes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:

I installed the factory sub and the amp, the sub is pretty subtle on the bass side which is perfect for what I was looking for.

I also installed the factory DRLs and found out the ecu needed to be fiddled with to activate the DRLs to turn on.

Long story short, the gentleman at the dealership got the DRLs to work and told me that there wasn't anything in the computer on his end that he could do to mess with the sub and amp. Everything works as it should anyway so you DO NOT need to take your car to the dealership if you install the sub.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggypooper For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-04-2017),Top_Fuel (05-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...I installed the factory sub and the amp
    ...Everything works as it should
    ...you DO NOT need to take your car to the dealership if you install the sub.
    I'm just curious as to the overall installation process. Is that kit a "plug-n-play" kit using existing wiring harnesses in the car, or was there something involved with supplying external power to the amp? I assume the speaker wire from the amp to the subwoofer needs to be installed as part of the kit?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The kit is plug and play, just like any other accessory you get from Mitsubishi

The kit includes two harnesses. The first harness is a piggyback harness, so you plug the factory radio harness into the supplied accessory harness, then plug the accessory harness into the back of the radio. Then you run the remaining wires from the accessory harness into the amp.

The amp mounts right behind the glove box and you're supposed to drill an additional hole to fully secure the amp bracket, but it's tight in there and my drill was too big. The bracket seemed more than secure when mounted to the 2 other mounts that didn't need drilling.

The second harness goes from the amp down underneath the kick panels along the passenger side to the trunk where the sub is.

Also I think it's worth noting that the amp has an Ethernet port and another port which I can't remember right now. So it may be possible for the dealership to update/adjust things in the future.
    I believe the same kit works for all mirages, regardless what factory radio you have.

The harness that piggybacks off the radio and goes to the amp is on the left.
    The harness that goes from the amp to the sub is on the right.
    Name:  sub.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  96.9 KB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iggypooper For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-16-2017),Eggman (05-04-2017),spork (05-08-2017),Top_Fuel (05-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Also I think it's worth noting that the amp has an Ethernet port
    Thanks for the photo and the description. It's good to see the kit in it's component form before installation.

However, I would be surprised if it has an Ethernet port. It is my understanding that the connector is typically used for a control of some sort.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...I would be surprised if it has an Ethernet port.
    ...that the connector is typically used for a control of some sort.
    That's what I was thinking. Several manufacturers use an Ethernet-style cable for remote bass control knobs that interface with a subwoofer amplifier. I've had a JL Audio amp with a remote knob like this and my current Kicker amp has one.

HERE is a link to a Rockford Fosgate remote bass control control. Wonder if it would work with that amp?!?

Name:  amp.jpg
Views: 3391
Size:  71.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    This post has some good photos: Here's some RF stuff

And Rockford Fosgate has a page on the amplifier, though it is sparse. RF OEM Flex 41

Last edited by Eggman; 05-05-2017 at 01:17 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)