Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Service Costs for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Service Costs for a Mirage?

Curious at various intervals what service costs have been? Dealer Vs. Non Dealer, as well. Some services you do on your own?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    At one dealer the bill was €210, the next year at another dealer with pretty much the same labour/parts and it was €410.

I could have, and would have very much prefered to do it all myself, because I know its done properly that way, but I didn't want to lose the waranty.
    Warranty in Europe is different and not as good as in the States. The first two years are just what the law prescribes, the third year is with limited milage at Mitsubishi's own terms, the forth and fifth year is a very limited waranty, by some car-repair-insurance company. If anything breaks, you end up paying most of it yourself! Some waranty...

I do agree there is very little these cars need in terms of maintainance, and very little has to be repaired.
    Last edited by foama; 03-30-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This isn't really service-related...but it is related to overall maintenance costs...

One Mirage expense often overlooked is tires. The OEM Dunlop tires on the Mirage are expensive to replace and they don't last that long (maybe 35,000 miles on average?). You need to make sure your car is properly aligned (even if it's new) and you need to rotate the tires regularly. Otherwise, you may find yourself with 2 decent and 2 worn-out tires...sooner than you expected. When you do need new tires, consider switching to a slightly different size to get into a Low Rolling Resistance tire with a longer tread life. If you try to stick with the stock 165-65-14 size in the US, you will be disappointed in the lousy selection of available tires.

One of the first things I did on my new Mirage was to sell my original 14" wheels/tires and buy something else. I upgraded to lightweight 15" wheels with Low Rolling Resistance tires that had a long tread life rating. My actual cost to do this after selling my original wheels/tires was only $300. My fuel economy remained the same, but the tires I'm using should be good for close to 90,000 miles (I'm hoping for 100K). Some members here will be well into their 3rd set of tires when I'm replacing mine for the first time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In Europe we have no lack of good and cheap tyres. I bought 4 tyres, 175/65r14 Continental, probably the best summer tyres in the world that size, and paid €100 for all four!
    I certainly agree with Top_Fuel that regularly rotating saves a lot of money. In addition to that, my front wheels have zero camber and zero toe in, inflated to 3.0bar (44lbs) pressure.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    We have 33 mirages that I service myself. Dealer is fine with it and a few of the cars are already past the 160000kms warranty. I don't know what parts or oil cost cause I don't pay for it. I use 3 liters of synthetic 0w20 and a filter from the dealer #MZ690072. The cars don't need much maintenance, I change the oil more often than needed at 6000kms. I hear cvt fluid can get expensive if bought from the dealer, but only 2-3 liters at a time can be changed. I found an alternative that is supposed to be compatible though. I'll post the part number later if anyone wants? Other than air filter when they get dirty and brake pads when you notice the brake fluid get low, I really haven't had to do much else to these cars. Spark plugs are due at 168000k I believe. Pretty cheap car to maintain in my opinion. I haven't had to change cv axles, wheel bearings,ball joints or even tie rod ends on any of these cars. And between the 33 cars, I've only changed maybe 2-3 headlight bulbs, a few tail light bulbs and 6 or so dome light bulbs.
    I really wish my own vehicles were such low maintenance, I just had to replace injectors on my personal truck which cost $2000 for 6. Damn diesels....
    I'm honestly curious about the CVT fluid. I need to change mine and really you can't even find the price in Canada for the Mitsubishi stuff anywhere.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $50 for oil change and 155 for cvt service. Paid to dealer.
    Letting dealer do basic services. Will change brakes on my own as it's a wear and tear item.
    One thing I learned from the wrecker business.
    If 2 guys come in with broken cars. Both are at 100001 miles.
    Owner A has serviced car meticulously at same dealer where they purchased.
    Owner B is a DIY/ Jiffy lube customer. Refuses to spend at dealership.
    Both have a blown motor.
    Most likely the dealer/ manufacturer is going to replaces owner A motor either for no cost or a partial deductible. Or dealer will go to bat against manufacturer and may even eat part of the cost.
    Owner B?
    Too bad so sad that'll be $3000.
    I have a reputable one franchise owner.
    His reputation is everything unlike the mega dealer with 20 different brands.
    My business and my opinion of his business mean far more to the small guy.
    I could lay in the yard and diy it.
    But for fluids? Let the dealer have it.
    Unless you got a bad dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    $50 for oil change and 155 for cvt service. Paid to dealer.
    Letting dealer do basic services. Will change brakes on my own as it's a wear and tear item.
    One thing I learned from the wrecker business.
    If 2 guys come in with broken cars. Both are at 100001 miles.
    Owner A has serviced car meticulously at same dealer where they purchased.
    Owner B is a DIY/ Jiffy lube customer. Refuses to spend at dealership.
    Both have a blown motor.
    Most likely the dealer/ manufacturer is going to replaces owner A motor either for no cost or a partial deductible. Or dealer will go to bat against manufacturer and may even eat part of the cost.
    Owner B?
    Too bad so sad that'll be $3000.
    I have a reputable one franchise owner.
    His reputation is everything unlike the mega dealer with 20 different brands.
    My business and my opinion of his business mean far more to the small guy.
    I could lay in the yard and diy it.
    But for fluids? Let the dealer have it.
    Unless you got a bad dealer.
    I see what you are saying. But just to be clear, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that you do not have to have your services performed at the dealership in order to have your warranty honored under the law. You simply have to provide reasonable evidence that the maintenance was done. Whether that is receipts from Jiffy Lube, receipts from Auto Zone, receipts from the dealership, etc, doesn't matter.

But at 100,001 miles, it's completely up to the dealership and manufacturer as to whether or not to honor the (now expired) warranty. Legally, they are not on the hook anymore. Period. Normally, it's a matter of the dealer/manufacturer's 'goodwill' in situations like this, and having a stack of dealership service records may well sway them towards taking care of you.

But at 99,999 miles they have to fix it as long as you have service records.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This isn't really service-related...but it is related to overall maintenance costs...

One Mirage expense often overlooked is tires. The OEM Dunlop tires on the Mirage are expensive to replace and they don't last that long (maybe 35,000 miles on average?). You need to make sure your car is properly aligned (even if it's new) and you need to rotate the tires regularly. Otherwise, you may find yourself with 2 decent and 2 worn-out tires...sooner than you expected. When you do need new tires, consider switching to a slightly different size to get into a Low Rolling Resistance tire with a longer tread life. If you try to stick with the stock 165-65-14 size in the US, you will be disappointed in the lousy selection of available tires.

One of the first things I did on my new Mirage was to sell my original 14" wheels/tires and buy something else. I upgraded to lightweight 15" wheels with Low Rolling Resistance tires that had a long tread life rating. My actual cost to do this after selling my original wheels/tires was only $300. My fuel economy remained the same, but the tires I'm using should be good for close to 90,000 miles (I'm hoping for 100K). Some members here will be well into their 3rd set of tires when I'm replacing mine for the first time.
    Buying stock Dunlop take-offs from guys like you keeps my tire expenditures LOW!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-08-2017),MightyMirageMpg (04-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
    This also serves as a pretty good document too hide behind modification wise. They (dealerships) can not dismiss a claim based off of modifications or repairs done external too them unless they can prove it was the cause of the failure. (Still, abuse can be claimed and denied) so if your a US resident its a pretty good thing too research.

Per a manager at a local Dodge dealership,
    "The real purpose of the it was too allow maintenance items too handled 3rd party without voiding the warrantee, but it was poorly written and now heavily leaned on by enthusiasts."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Per a manager at a local Dodge dealership,
    "The real purpose of the it was too allow maintenance items too handled 3rd party without voiding the warrantee, but it was poorly written and now heavily leaned on by enthusiasts."
    The real reason the law was passed was to prevent manufacturers from welching out on the warranty for an engine or transmission because a consumer replaced the RADIO in the car, or forcing a consumer to pay for overpriced dealership maintenance in order to keep a warranty in force. These sorts of shenanigans were commonplace in the 1960s.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-08-2017)