Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage averages 70 mpg (US) / 3.4 L/100 km / 29.7 km/L in six ecodriving contests

Mirage averages 70 mpg (US) / 3.4 L/100 km / 29.7 km/L in six ecodriving contests

Screen cap from: Video: Malaysia economy run Jan, 2013: 27 km/L avg; 30.6 kmL top (3.3 LHK, 72 mpg US)

With the Mirage at or near the top of its class for fuel economy, Mitsu has organized multiple fuel economy/ecodriving competitions and demonstrations to highlight the car's efficiency.

These were typically held as part of the car's press launch events in various countries (e.g. Indonesia, Malaysia and New Zealand). The contests pitted members of the motoring press against one another to see who could get the best fuel economy driving on the same route.

The car has also been featured in a couple of long-distance economy runs where individuals or small teams took the car on extended highway drives (eg. Thailand, Switzerland).

Of the half dozen events we've discovered so far, the average fuel economy of the best team/driver's results is just a hair under 70 MPG US = 3.4 L/100 km = 29.7 km/L ...

These events used various drivetrains combinations: the 1.2L engine with both CVT and manual transmissions, and the 1.0L engine & manual tranny in the case of the Austrian event.

Conditions & skill level of the drivers varied. All these events were in hot or mild temperatures. Some events represented "real world" conditions with "typical" drivers and speeds, with the rules even requiring the air conditioning be set on the coldest setting. Others were held under more "ideal" fuel economy conditions or with expert ecodrivers/hypermilers at the controls, and the climate control presumably turned off.

Click the link for details of each event.

Update: here's another one, this time for the G4 sedan:

Thread: Philippines: Mirage G4 sedan economy run (winner: 33.6 km/L / 79 mpg US / 3 L/100km)

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (12-27-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Those are incredibly impressive numbers.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, though obviously NONE of the events included stop and go city driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Push those numbers to the public Mitsu

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yeah, though obviously NONE of the events included stop and go city driving.
    yes i also dont think this is real world

more long distance steady speed... as soon you go into the city this will look differend but still nice numbers!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    No friggin way I can even ever get close to those numbers!! it's cold and very windy here. plus it's dangerous to drive under 80 km/h on 120 km/hour road when even the trucks are driving 95 km/hour just to get the best fuel economy!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    well i dont agre there

some of the trucks to 95 where only 80 is allowed

most of them i see still do 80-85kpmh and if you thnk 80 is dangerous then those trucks must be a danger to

the only danger are those that want to driver faster and think its dangerous to driver slower because they say that because THEY get iritated and thus are the danger on the road.

they want to driver faster just te get somewhere 5 min early.....

Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    yes i also dont think this is real world
    The problem is: define "real world"

Believe it or not, the conditions/routes in most of those Mirage fuel economy contests are similar to my own driving. I almost never drive in the city - I walk/bike most of the time (15 minute walk from downtown). So most of my driving is longer distances on secondary highways at moderate speeds. (Perfect for good fuel economy.)

Everyone's experience is different. Your mileage will vary.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    yes ok but on average i think the most people even take the car to post something a few blocks away...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Of the half dozen events we've discovered so far, the average fuel economy of the best team/driver's results is just a hair under 70 MPG US = 3.4 L/100 km = 29.7 km/L ...
    I could not beat those numbers even with my Toyota Prius. The best I got with it was 50+ mpg.

I just filled up my Mirage cvt again and again it posted 45 mpg. That's just driving around town. I have no complaints.

p.s. I've owned several hybrids and this car smokes 2 of them.

Keep the faith.

-Zxit

Zxit say... It's a Mirage. LoL! But I love it.