Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273902
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I agree. But ask MirageRally - I literally laughed out loud upon driving his, the difference was both that apparent and pleasing. And keep in mind Speck has the Daox anti-sway bar installed, so the ride is a tad firmer than the original stock configuration. AND if I remember correctly, Rally's car Mirageo has the basic steel wheels (at least I think so...)

You are right - there is a thread just for such an occasion, and you were the last to post to it.

I would buy another
    just wait until I put that rear sway bar, coilovers, and rally Wing plus canards Eggman haha...If you ever want to meet up and do another comparison let me know.

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    just wait until I put that rear sway bar, coilovers, and rally Wing plus canards Eggman haha...If you ever want to meet up and do another comparison let me know.
    Sounds good. It would be interesting to see the before and after difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sad news. After hearing some knocking at the rear axle I found my Daox sway bar has broken at a weld. Bummer.

The weather should warm up some this weekend so it'll come off then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pics!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, the first version of the bar does seem to have a fairly limited life span. If you're interested in replacing it let me know. I've been offering a very steep discount on a replacement.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    Pics!
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Yeah, the first version of the bar does seem to have a fairly limited life span. If you're interested in replacing it let me know. I've been offering a very steep discount on a replacement.
    I’ll let you know. I only noticed it failed by noise not by driving dynamics. I want to get it off first to get a closer look.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Of course.

I’ll let you know. I only noticed it failed by noise not by driving dynamics. I want to get it off first to get a closer look.
    I'm sure you'll share more with us when you get the chance. I have the same vintage rear sway bar as you.

It's not much fun crawling under a car this time of year unless you have heated garage.

During installation, I had to lift my Mirage to slip one of the bolts past the rear springs on each side. If I end up having to replace my rear sway bar some day, I would probably just use the same bolts.

Bummer if it broke, but those things happen. I am very glad Daox took the time to develop/manufacture these, & it's great that he's also improved them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That is due to the nature of the failure. It will slowly start a small crack, and that crack will grow over time. As the crack grows you will get less and less load put through the bar as the material yields more and more. It doesn't just crack all at once. So, its a gradual process, not an all at once kind of thing.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    Pics!
    Here you go:

Daox, I see your point - according to the amount of corrosion on the break and inside the tube, it looks like this had been cracked for a long time.

This is a disappointment. The bolts were corroded - it was a big struggle to get them off. The break and the amount of rust on the whole thing is frustrating. And it's only 2½ years since I put it in so it didn't even last that long? Why couldn't it break in the warm summer instead of the cold of winter?? Ugh - I got a harsh reminder of working under a car while lying on the cold frozen ground at night cussing at bolts that wouldn't cooperate... And I found one of those bolts had been rubbing a groove into my spring. What's even more baffling is I don't drive hard or corner hard either.

I installed the Air Lift air bag kit. Here's my immediate thoughts after a ride around the block:
    1. The anti-sway bar addresses sway only. It might help stiffen up the rear springs by tying the two sides together but that has a limited effect.
    2. The AirLift air bags appear to address not only body sway but helps the rear suspension deal with heavy loads and keeps the headlights from blinding oncoming drivers as well as improve ride. Best of all, it's adjustable.

Like I said I'll give it some time but as of tonight I wish I had installed these air bags long ago.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-23-2020 at 01:25 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    I appreciate the update Eggman. I need to crawl under my Mirage & see how things look. If my rear springs are being damaged, I would rather address that sooner rather than later. I can't really picture how the bolts would rub against the spring, because it would seem like everything would move up & down together. With the first generation sway bars, I was concerned about the sway bar fitting so close to the brake line brackets & causing a wearing issue with those.

After listening you, it worth taking a look for sure. I changed tires the other day, but didn't really check out that area. I really like the outcome of a rear sway bar. I would be willing to give the revised one a try before bailing on them. If my memory serves me right, I remember a white rear sway bar sold by another company (Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar maybe?) also breaking at the welds. I am not going to search for that pic, because it may have been outside the forum?

I like the thought of the air bag suspension, too. You'll have to keep us posted on that, too! Could the air bags help reduce the strain put on a sway bar? Do we have anyone on the forum doing both air bags & sway bar?

Doesn't the revised rear sway bar have a solid bar instead of the hollow one?

Last edited by Mark; 12-23-2020 at 01:53 AM.