Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273914
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Almost 80 MPG. That is NUTTY.

Also, I really wanted my sister to buy a blue one..lol. Oh well, shes paying for it.

Last edited by tytotheler92; 05-03-2016 at 04:59 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Silver is kind of pedestrian, isn't it? There's silver cars everywhere these days. I'll look for her out on the roads. Let us know your experiences with Mentor Mitsubishi service.

Well, I made another fuel log entry and my numbers are improving. My calculated fuel economy was actually better than what my MID-B display reported. Sweet. I reset my trip odometers and the MID-B fuel economy as well for this new tank. I also increased the air pressure in my tires to 50 psi, from 45. When I pumped them up, they were all still at 45, so no noticeable loss of air pressure since I first aired them up.

Also, I made entries for Speck at FuelEconomy.gov for all to see.
    fueleconomy.gov: Compare Side-by-Side: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2 L, 3 cyl, Manual 5-spd
    fueleconomy.gov: My MPG Estimates: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage

It is interesting to note that the few users who have reported their fuel economy on this US EPA website are doing better than the EPA's own estimates. I hope other owners here can add their numbers to show that the Mirage fuel economy was not falsely reported here in the US.

What else - I am curious about the Rockford Fosgate equipment, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on upgrading the audio - not sure if it's a.) worth it and b.) I'll even use it/appreciate it. Definitely thinking about WeatherTech floor mats.

What else - I need to schedule my first oil change and get the alignment checked. I think I should get a third-party alignment check before letting the dealer check, as I've seen some dealer alignment reports that look suspiciously good.

Funny thing about this car - it has lots of nifty features that I found curious when I was thinking about getting one. Now that I own one, I find I'm not focusing on those features much when I'm driving. Maybe because I'm worried about getting to work. I like driving it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-03-2016),RapidRick (05-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I test drove a white DE before we saw the RF, I drove it like 10 miles and the avg mpg went from 14 to 41.....

I was super impressed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I set a new mark on my morning commute.

I think the big difference on this trip was an earlier start with less traffic and good light timing (less stops.) I was able to keep a speed between 25 - 30 mph with a fair amount of coasting. Keep in mind my ride in is mostly downhill.

I recall there is an app for cycling that tracks a route in distance, time, and elevation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those are some nice numbers. Do you coast in neutral or in gear? Also, I used to use an app like that, it was called Cyclemeter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I switch between both depending on the situation. I coast in neutral if I have a clear road ahead and nobody behind, and I'll put it in gear for deceleration, including using my AC compressor for additional drag if needed.
    I just reviewed my morning commute using a topographic map and I calculate my elevation from start to finish at a 390' drop. It is mostly a gentle grade with a roughly 150' descent near my parking spot. It is at the bottom of that hill that I get the best numbers and that is where I try to take a photo of the MID. So while it is not exactly a fair comparison, it's still fun.

For me, anyways.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

anog (05-14-2016),HitShane (05-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just noticed something funny. Looks like I'll need to fill up soon.

I visit the pump so infrequently with this car that I sometimes forget that it needs more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

anog (05-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm at an NTB now for an alignment check.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm at an NTB now for an alignment check.
    NTB says my alignment is good.

Well, mostly.

There's only a few red shaded areas.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-14-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of these days I'll learn how to properly orient a photo for posting here...

Well, an update. Today on the ride home an older female driving a BMW started her oncoming left turn a little early and our mirrors kissed. She drove off, leaving our fated mirrors abandoned in the intersection.

I recovered the parts - two shattered mirrors and plastic covers. I think I will be able to re-use my cover, though it is a bit scratched. The mirror glass popped off the folding frame. The integrated turn signal is oddly intact and operational - I thought for sure it would have been demolished. Go figure. It appears I could simply replace the glass with new and reuse the cover. I now wonder where I can get replacement mirror glass, as a replacement mirror assembly runs roughly $500 MSRP (refer to my post in this thread - heated mirrors U.S.). Ick. I have no doubt her BMW mirror will cost less.

I swerved away from her. Otherwise, I'm sure the damage would be much worse. I'm a bit concerned about replacement parts and repairs for this little car. I've had it not yet three months. Let's calculate one sideswipe:

1 bumper
    1 hood
    1 headlight assembly
    1 front fender
    1 front left door
    1 rear left door
    1 rear left quarterpanel
    1 rear bumper
    Frame straightening?
    1 rear axle

Add it up? Potential total loss. Oh, don't forget a mirror.

Ongoing debate about repairability: priceless.

I guess I'm lucky. It could have been worse.

In other news, I am carrying a gas can in the trunk (boot for our UK readers?) for when I run out of fuel. I am at the blinking fuel display and have been for a couple days now.

I don't want to run it completely dry, as I understand it is not nice to run the fuel pump dry. I might fill up before that point. In the meantime, I have exactly 1.000 gallon of gasoline in a fuel container at the ready for this experiment.

I like driving this little car - I find it fun to see how far I can go on a tank of gas. Other drivers don't think a slow moving little car is quite so fun... That is why I amended this car's designation as Speck | aka Ego Awareness Training. I will probably shorten that a bit...

Sometimes I get a kick out of impatient drivers - sometimes they make me sick. Even though I am going faster than the posted speed limit some poor tortured souls simply can't bear to be behind me and must race by - only to meet again at the next traffic light. Sad, really.

This aspect of driving this little car contributes to the moniker Ego. It tends to illustrate how our Egos influence our decisions and actions.

One feature I like about this car is it's cupholders. My first cars had no such thing. This one has three. That's Living Large right there.

My favorite is the one between the front seats aft of the emergency brake lever. It is accessible for all - driver and passengers. Just mind that the pooch doesn't help herself to a lick while underway.

More soon. Looking forward to my next fill-up.

If I make it.