Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273897
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    60mpg is fantastic great job

Feels good to break 60, I imagine.
    Yup. It's why I was so interested in this car, long before buying. I try to improve on the fuel economy of the various cars I drive. None have responded as well as my Mirage. And I see that it is good.

If you tow your tires out too 0, keep in mind it'll feel "numb" with less turn in, and more wander from bumps/crown of road, and significantly less stability.
    Interesting - I didn't know this. I'll keep it in mind. Are you talking front or rear toe?

I must ask.. what is prompting all the suspension adjustments and fiddling? Are you experiencing issues or just experimenting?
    Excellent question. I'll do my best to be brief so as not to bore anyone.

Like many others here, I browsed this forum for info on these little cars before even creating an account. I wanted to get a feel for the issues other owners faced before deciding to purchase one for my own.

Probably the biggest issue I noticed was rear axle alignment. Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a fairly long thread detailing members' experiences. It's titled Rear Wheel Misaligned?. If I recall correctly, Mitsubishi had some good quality assurance - for the first six months of production. Some forum members began reporting fast tire wear. Upon checking their alignment, some noticed the rear axle was out of spec, mostly excessive toe-in. The axle is a welded assembly, with no provision for adjustment. By the time some had noticed, their 12-month warranty expired - the warranty that would have covered an axle replacement. Due to this forum, some members were able to catch it before their warranty expired, and their dealers replaced the axle. Many members reported this fixed wandering - the wandering that the Mirage was knocked for in reviews. Some forum members who could not get a replacement rear axle have tried various methods of overcoming this alignment problem. Most are detailed in that thread.

With that, I made it a point to have my alignment checked - not just at my dealer, but at an independent shop for comparison. I'm lucky - it seems I got a good one (mostly..)

I hope that makes sense. If you haven't, get yours checked soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I must ask.. what is prompting all the suspension adjustments and fiddling? Are you experiencing issues or just experimenting?
    And one more thing - I noticed the steering wheel was a tad off, being another reason why I asked for an alignment check. I didn't expect the mechanic to do any adjustment, so that was cool. Thanks, Sunnyside!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I try to improve on the fuel economy

Interesting - I didn't know this. I'll keep it in mind. Are you talking front or rear toe?

I hope that makes sense. If you haven't, get yours checked soon.
    front geometry

good advice, thank you, but I'm satisfied with my alignment. one look at my worn sidewalls, aftermarket springs and rims, and the techs will yell "ABUSE!!!"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Late entry for last week's fill up. I did some more aggressive driving this tank, rushing around town. Also, the fuel dispensing pump failed to auto shut-off and I spilled some gas (about a cup, I think) so that's going to have an adverse affect on my fuel economy. Rats.

Keep an eye on that fuel pump while filling up. Good thing I didn't walk away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [rant]Lebron James & the Cavs are awesome. I'm so glad they pulled together and won their championship. Well done & well deserved.

I look forward to seeing what happens when the Browns start getting their act together.

They showed flashes of competence today, and dismantled all the team's hard work with mistakes - rookie mistakes that cost them the game.

Here's hoping they find a way to grow past it.[/rant]

Another fuel log entry. Nothing new to note - at least it's above my current running average.

I'm astounded by the results of 3dplane (average 66.4 mpg) and 25Plus (average 68.9 mpg). Their fuel consumption numbers are unreal. Check them out. And 3dplane's rear axle is out of alignment.

Amazing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another fuel fillup. This one was disappointing, as my numbers are slipping. Numbers!

Finally got the mirror replaced (original post here.) Thanks for everyone's help and advice on where to look, such as car-part.com. I was leery about buying a used part sight unseen.

I think I found it through a Rock Auto thread update here describing their discount code and also their RSS feed, which is very cool. Through that I found they had the mirror, and for less than what many junkyards wanted. I had been checking Rock Auto and was often disappointed at how few parts they had available for our cars. I was surprised (and glad) to find they had finally listed one. For me, it's much better than a used part - I value having a warranty.

So the old mirror got cracked up. I was hoping to at least use the old cover to match colors, but alas the new one is a different design and thus won't fit. I'm okay with that because as far as I can see, this new mirror assembly from YY Mirror is a better design than OEM.

YY Mirror has a website but was basic and did not list this mirror. They also have a facebook page.

I didn't look real hard, but I was unable to find many references to this part online. Maybe in time more will come out about it.

YYM YY-544LEL MI1320148 MIRROR, LH; PWR;SIG;14-15 MIRAGE WO/HEAT;MANUAL FOLD.

Maybe someone with better search skills & connections can find more about it. In the meantime, Rock Auto has them and they are good. Thanks, Rock Auto for supporting our little cars.

If anyone is interested in my old mirror, just let me know and we can work something out for shipping. The positioning motors and LED turn signal light are good. The frame is cracked, the cover is scratched and is missing a clip or two but might be useful to someone.

The assembly might be fun to experiment with. For example, I am pondering installing cameras and thought the mirrors would be a possible mounting point for side view recording. Which sounds like another post.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-16-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $535.60 MSRP for my mirror
    $417.77 Online price at Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse
    $714.00 Quote for new replacement from dealership (See Note 1)
    $545.00 Quote for used replacement from dealership (See Note 1)
    $209.00 to $45 Various junkyards through Car-part.com (Note 2)
    $85.89 New replacement on Rock Auto
    Notes:
    1. This was disappointing. I like my dealership (Sunnyside Mitsubishi) but have a difficult time understanding why they wanted to charge so much for replacing the mirror. Update 20-OCT-2016: I found my service invoice and included the exact figures.
    2. The search on car-part.com includes mirrors without the integrated turn signal, so the range of prices is not very accurate.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-20-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    $535.60 MSRP for my mirror
    $417.77 Online price at Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse
    $700.00 Approximate estimate for replacement from dealership (Note 1)
    $209.00 to $45 Various junkyards through Car-part.com (Note 2)
    $85.89 New replacement on Rock Auto
    Notes:
    1. This was disappointing. I like my dealership (Sunnyside Mitsubishi) but have a difficult time understanding why they wanted to charge so much for replacing the mirror. I'll have to find their quote for the exact figure.
    2. The search on car-part.com includes mirrors without the integrated turn signal, so the range of prices is not very accurate.
    Crazy the difference in price. Thanks for posting. I've always liked the way shiny black mirrors look with white car, so Those prices are tempting😉
    (blank signature)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    Crazy the difference in price. Thanks for posting. I've always liked the way shiny black mirrors look with white car, so Those prices are tempting��
    Yep. I'm thinking that might be an option for making 'em match.

Funny thing. I heard a *faint* whistle yesterday around 40 mph. I think it's the new mirror. I like it. It reminds me of those deer repelling whistles, and probably just as effective.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got my new axle today.

Before - NTB

Dealer:

After - Dealer:

Looks like things turned out okay. I hope to get these numbers verified before too long.

Funny thing is the service manager wrote up the repair to address a toe-in problem. I guess he didn't look at my previous alignment check results.

I dropped my car off at my dealer (Sunnyside Mitsubishi) yesterday afternoon, and was given an Outlander as a loaner. I was called a little after 11:00 this morning when the job was completed.

The Outlander cockpit seemed Very Similar to my Mirage, so it was easy for me to switch. The steering wheel seems to be a better quality version - something to consider if looking for another steering wheel (Alex16.)

Last edited by Eggman; 11-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

HitShane (11-03-2016),MetroMPG (11-03-2016),newagetomboy (07-22-2020)