Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273861
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Got my new axle today.

Before - NTB

Dealer:

After - Dealer:

Looks like things turned out okay. I hope to get these numbers verified before too long.

Funny thing is the service manager wrote up the repair to address a toe-in problem. I guess he didn't look at my previous alignment check results.

I dropped my car off at my dealer (Sunnyside Mitsubishi) yesterday afternoon, and was given an Outlander as a loaner. I was called a little after 11:00 this morning when the job was completed.

The Outlander cockpit seemed Very Similar to my Mirage, so it was easy for me to switch. The steering wheel seems to be a better quality version - something to consider if looking for another steering wheel (Alex16.)
    Nice to hear. And the outlanders are nice!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    Nice to hear. And the outlanders are nice!
    They sure are. This one had a CVT, and I thought it was pretty good. I set the Eco mode to on and did the same for the AWC. As long as I was easy on the gas when taking off from a start, the CVT would keep the engine speed down around 1200 - 1300 RPMs until I was up to speed. It was nice not having to shift gears, but I felt that was appropriate for that model. Fuel economy for the short time I drove it was around 34 mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They sure are. This one had a CVT, and I thought it was pretty good. I set the Eco mode to on and did the same for the AWC. As long as I was easy on the gas when taking off from a start, the CVT would keep the engine speed down around 1200 - 1300 RPMs until I was up to speed. It was nice not having to shift gears, but I felt that was appropriate for that model. Fuel economy for the short time I drove it was around 34 mpg.
    I agree. The CVT in the mirage is pretty good too.

Got my new axle today.
    Good news that.

Planning a 3rd party inspection to confirm specs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Planning a 3rd party inspection to confirm specs?
    Yes. I'm planning on going back to the same NTB to see what we can see.

Funny how the numbers can vary from machine to machine.

I suppose I ought to post my before & after results to the rear axle alignment thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally ordered a set of WeatherTech floor mats for the front and rear seating areas. Looking forward to getting them in.

Well, WeatherTech calls them a FloorLiner. They're laser measured, you know. Should have ordered them sooner. The group buy never took off.

I ordered them from WeatherTech in hopes that any warranty problems down the road would be easier to handle. Here's a link to their warranty.

I understand they made some changes and improvements to the design from when they first introduced their products for the Mirage. Ordering direct from the manufacturer may not save me any money, but I hope to get the latest design.

Also made another fuel log entry. My fuel economy numbers are slipping. I'm going to attribute that to winter gas - but I ought to check my tire inflation pressure too.

And leave earlier for work lol.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-29-2016 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added WeatherTech info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Winter fuel economy is tanking! Haha. Wow, what a difference. My commute to work is somewhat short - about 6 miles. Speck just reaches operating temperature then. I'm wondering what I could gain from installing a engine block heater and/or a oil pan heater as I don't have a place to plug in at work. Hm. Any advice for this?

Got the WeatherTech floor liners just in time! It's surprising what they catch & keep from soaking into the carpet. Very glad I got these. My only regrets are that I waited to get this protection - that, and the high price.

I also got a dashcam. It is a KDLINKS R100 I purchased through Amazon. I haven't made a permanent installation yet. So far I've mounted it to my rearview mirror and tested it on a short drive. The fit and performance is good. I look forward to getting things set so I can make a more permanent installation with the rear-facing camera. This was the most reasonably priced high definition dashcam that included a rear-facing camera with 1080 video. Anyone considering a dashcam should take a look at this one. Also consider ordering direct from KDLINKS as they will be providing any warranty service anyway (I kinda wish I had.) Be sure to read through the Amazon comments and questions section for details on how others are using these.

And I'll get some pictures posted...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One more thing: Let me know if there are any questions on the floor mats or the dashcam. When I take some photos I'll be sure to include those details.

Drive safe out there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Winter performance

Happy Saturday everyone.

Winter weather has set in, and my fuel consumption has increased substantially. I'll fill up soon and will see what I did on this tank.

In the meantime, I've pondered all the variables that could contribute to the increase in fuel consumption, and ways to get the engine up to operating temperature quicker. I'm interested in heaters for the engine, to include both a block heater and an oil pan heater. Other forum members have detailed modifying their engine air intakes to draw in warm air. Also, a inexpensive grill block to help the engine reach operating temperature quicker.

I am also curious to learn more about the PTC heaters in the Mirage. These help provide heat under certain conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by service manual:
    PTC heater operating conditions
    •Coolant temperature: 75 degrees Celsius (167℉) or less
    •Ambient temperature: 15 degrees Celsius (59℉) or less
    •The rate of operation of the generator, which is transmitted over the CAN, is 70% or less
    I'll take a close look at what's behind the glovebox and study the airflow over these PTC heaters. I'm guessing they are running more in this colder weather, putting an additional load on my alternator, causing more fuel consumption. I can turn off calling for heat in the passenger compartment until the engine warms up to temperature, but if the PTC heaters provide heat to the heater core, wouldn't that in turn help heat up the engine? Maybe not if there is no coolant being circulated there anyway.

I kept the heat off on one trip in to work this week, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I didn't measure time or temperatures, so my perception could be off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-17-2016)

My old Firefly's (Metro) fuel economy has also tanked lately. I don't normally drive it this late in the year, so my current tank average is at its lowest it's been since 2014.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but when I'm at home I usually also pre-heat the cabin at the same time I plug in my coolant heater. I just have a hair dryer running in the car. I find when I'm warm, I'm more patient, so I drive more economically!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)