Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273886
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    What made you decide to try it?
    Three things: sag when loaded, alignment, and timing.

I listened to the rear suspension drama posed here before I purchased, but I found it wasn't a big deal to me. All the talk about the soft rear suspension has kept the topic going in the back of my mind - just not a priority. Usually when I use my Mirage, it's just me. The softer 2015 rear suspension doesn't bother me until I drive with some passengers or cargo in back. Those are the times I wished for more support at the rear axle.

Regarding alignment, I recall one forum member (or even an entire thread) discuss that lowering wrecks rear wheel alignment, even worse than if it was simply misaligned from the factory. So lowering was cast out as an option for me. I want to avoid the cognitive dissonance of complaining about misalignment from the factory, then making things worse by lowering.

Take the alignment rack as an example. When the alignment is checked on a rack, the vehicle is unloaded. On the road, the vehicle has some extra weight that measurably lowers the rear suspension and in turn, changes the alignment geometry. If I can resist that somewhat with this air bag system, great. Maybe it'll help pay for itself in reduced tire wear - we'll see.

When I first checked the price of the AirLift kit, it was around $100. I saw it offered for around $75 so I went ahead with the purchase. I think it's mental, really - people tend to talk themselves into something they don't really need, and that's when things get expensive. So I practice some patience - if it's something I Want, I'll wait for it to go on sale. If it's something I Need, then I gotta pay the going price. The rear suspension works fine for me the way it is, so it doesn't really qualify as a Need.

Last summer I tried three different sets of coil springs from a local junkyard. None of them satisfied me, so I took advantage of their return policy and got a portion of my money back. I should have just went with the air bags from the start and saved some time and money. Ah, the price of experimentation.

I look forward to comparing the air bag suspension helpers against a sway bar. I predict that once this is installed, I won't need a sway bar. If so, I would likely put it up for sale.

Thanks for asking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    An opinion regarding sway bars.

The rear suspension is soft. This gives a nice, soft, cushy ride. But add some weight and headlight beams can blind oncoming drivers as well as change suspension geometry and alignment. It also allows more lean - also known as sway - when driving through corners. This part of the Mirage doesn't bother me, because I knew full well that this was a cheap economy car and not a sports car. With that firmly in mind, I set my intent to treat it accordingly and not pretend otherwise.

A anti-sway bar on the rear axle might address the leaning in corners inherent with this design, but it doesn't address the soft-sprung suspension. Even though I installed a Daox rear sway bar, my rear suspension still sags when loaded.

I'm hoping the air bag suspension will address both concerns - sag and cornering lean. I'm hoping that it will solve two problems for less cost than a sway bar.

I'm in the lucky position of owning both. I can mix and match until I find what works for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ordered a Rockford Fosgate amp today. Looking around I noticed several online vendors listed the kit as discontinued. I wanted to get one before they went away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I ordered a Rockford Fosgate amp today. Looking around I noticed several online vendors listed the kit as discontinued. I wanted to get one before they went away.
    Did you order the Rockford Fosgate audio system from Mitsubishi Parts Now? They had the best price that I could find - $463.68.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Did you order the Rockford Fosgate audio system from Mitsubishi Parts Now? They had the best price that I could find - $463.68.
    Yes, I ordered from Mitsubishi Parts Now out of Tallahassee. I called them up and had a nice chat with another USN veteran. It's nice to talk to people every now and then.

I would check Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse for the RF amp kit every now and then, if only to keep an eye on the price. I was surprised to see that they listed the kit as discontinued. I then checked around and found it listed as discontinued with several other online vendors. I'm hoping that Mitsubishi Parts Now can still get one. We'll see.

I noticed that the RF kit for 2017s and up is a bit less expensive than my 2015 kit. It must have different adapters for the display audio systems I suppose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Premium Audio System - Mitsubishi (AMG14EAB01)
    List Price: $672.00
    You Save: $208.32 (31% off)
    Sale Price: $463.68

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    I'm in the lucky position of owning both. I can mix and match until I find what works for me.
    I look forward to your opinion of using both in combination or one without the other.

Most of my Mirage driving is by myself, too. I've owned my 2017 almost 1.5 years (approximately 22,000 miles), & I had a back seat passenger once. I think it was 2-3 months before I even had a passenger in the front seat. Thus, the sway bar alone has served me well. I will still be curious about your thoughts about the air lift. If it improves handling with or without passengers, it's not a big expense item.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You will love it!

I actually should get one for my 18.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got a tracking number for the shipment, so I guess they are still available.

Here's hoping that it's the right kit. Wouldn't it be funny if I got the G4 kit? Haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Hi Eggman,

I thoug]ht I would pass this along to you, in case you want to check out the installation instructions before it arrives.

You can find detailed installation instructions for the Rockford Fosgate Premium Audio System here:

Go to - www.rockfordfosgate.com/flex41 (Then Login with Username: mitsubishi & Password: mirage

The installation instructions are listed under "Owners Manuals" - •Misubishi Mirage Installation [Owner's Manual]

They are very detailed instructions. Good luck with your system!
    I saw your other post. I've already downloaded the manuals.

That's some great information. Thanks for sharing it. How'd you find it?

Last edited by Eggman; 02-10-2024 at 03:18 PM.