Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio turns on with the car

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Radio turns on with the car

Good morning all. I paged through the audio manual but couldn't see anything so I thought I'd check with the think tank.

Getting used to mirage ownership again and I've noticed a strange occurrence. Every time I turn on the car the radio turn on. This would make sense to me if I left the radio on, but even if I turn it off before I shut off the car it turns on when I start the car again. I've looked through the settings on the radio and didn't see anything that stood out relating to this. Any idea? It's a 2022 G4 ES.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Mine has a screen showing FM, AM & Bluetooth. That screen is displyed when top left button pushed after the ignition switch is turned on. I think if any one of those three are on when car is running and then turned off, then engine is stopped. What ever was last selected WILL be on when you next crank it up!
    I have adapted to selecting Bluetooth AND turning the volume down before securing the engine.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine does the same thing, it’s super annoying. Especially because I use the Bluetooth when driving and have to crank up the volume as it runs at a lower volume than the radio. If I don’t turn it way down before cutting off the engine it BLASTS the radio when I turn it back on. I have a 2017, if anybody has a solution I would like to know!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    Mine does the same thing, it’s super annoying. Especially because I use the Bluetooth when driving and have to crank up the volume as it runs at a lower volume than the radio. If I don’t turn it way down before cutting off the engine it BLASTS the radio when I turn it back on. I have a 2017, if anybody has a solution I would like to know!
    Odd?

I have a 2017 ES, & my radio never turns itself on. Mine would stay off forever, unless you turn it on. I go weeks without having the radio on sometimes.

Bluetooth with my phone, however, is independent of my radio controls. Even when my radio is off, Bluetooth still works like normal. I can make or receive calls with my phone, and it will go through the stereo system. That's provided the Bluetooth on my phone is turned on.

Bluetooth was not standard equipment in 2017. Mine was added at the factory, and I have dash buttons versus the steering wheel ones. 2017 ES has no steering wheel buttons outside of the horn itself.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just for a goof, make sure the 2 fuses in the yellow holder in the fuse box are Fully Seated... I don't know if they would cause this, but it doesn't cost anything to look. Push them in really hard. That's all I have. If the fuses do not help, it may be a visit to your friendly local dealer...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just came back from honey-do errands and checked this very thing! Sorry 'bout that, boys! The radio, AM, FM, the Bluetooth is comin' back on even if you turned it off when you start yer car the next time! Our only option is to either mute or turn the volume all the way down as a part of your shutdown routine.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sometimes I listen to a true crime murder podcast in the car at night, then when I leave for work in the morning, it plays the last podcast my phone was playing...a sleep podcast. Weird way to start my day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Just came back from honey-do errands and checked this very thing! Sorry 'bout that, boys! The radio, AM, FM, the Bluetooth is comin' back on even if you turned it off when you start yer car the next time! Our only option is to either mute or turn the volume all the way down as a part of your shutdown routine.
    Try this experiment & report back -

"Hold down the radio power button for four seconds. Just pressing it will only temporarily mute the audio, like when you want to talk to someone. To actually turn the radio off, you must hold it down. The radio will still be off the next time you start your car."

quoting another source to say what I would have said myself.

I have to hold my button in for a few seconds before my radio will turn off, & it NEVER comes back on again when starting the car.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-09-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Try this experiment & report back -

"Hold down the radio power button for four seconds. Just pressing it will only temporarily mute the audio, like when you want to talk to someone. To actually turn the radio off, you must hold it down. The radio will still be off the next time you start your car."

quoting another source to say what I would have said myself.

I have to hold my button in for a few seconds before my radio will turn off, & it NEVER comes back on again when starting the car.
    You got it! Will do soonest and report back!
    How much you wanna bet this is in the instructions?! Har, har!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    You got it! Will do soonest and report back!
    How much you wanna bet this is in the instructions?! Har, har!
    It's just a guess on my part, & I didn't quote a Mirage owner's manual.

I have an older simpler factory radio. Everything changed in 2018 when backup cameras became mandatory. Adding screens without Bluetooth probably seemed silly. So both became standard that year.

If I don't hold the button in for a number of seconds, the radio will not turn off. That's because the volume/power knob is used for another function. If I am using a USB flash drive for music, I can select folders by pushing the volume button and turning the knob. Thus, a simple push of the knob will not turn off the radio. It allows me to carry out the other functions.

I just remember members struggling with turning off their radios. It seemed impossible until someone read the instructions.