Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinding noise from the engine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Take it from someone who knows... It is SHOCKING how loud some tires are... so loud you wonder how they are even allowed to be made...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-02-2022),Top_Fuel (07-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, yeah. Im going to see how it fares after I have rotated the tires. Im definately not looking to spend money until I confirm for certain that its not the cheapo tires that are just loud. If its just a sound annoyance than I will just live with it until the tires wear out.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If your going to rotate them maybe spend the extra few $ and get them balanced?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    If your going to rotate them maybe spend the extra few $ and get them balanced?
    The rotating I was gonna do myself at home. The guy at tire shop was convinced that they did not need balancing because it was not vibrating, was only making noise.

So Im gonna just rotate the tires and torque the lug nuts to proper 80 ft lbs and fill them all to 35psi and then I will come back here and report my results.

Because if the noise goes away I can rule out the "wheel-bearing defective" theory. I doubt its the wheel bearing. One of the troubleshooting for wheel bearing is they say while the car is moving to turn the steering wheel slightly left and right and see if the noise goes away. I did that and the noise stayed the same.

This issue started about 2 weeks after I got the front end aligned at a different shop (or maybe it was a month after)

--------------------------
    Update 07/02/2022: I completed the tire rotation and I notice that the front passenger side tire appears to have less weights on the inside than the other 3. That may be the tire that lost balancing-weights. If the sound comes back I will get that tire balanced by the tire shop.

I also realized that this was the tire that used to be on the rear drivers side. That is the tire that has a rim that is slightly dented and that looks like it wobbles if you stare at it while it is spinning
    ----------------------------
    Stupid Story (Dont read this): I wasnt gonna do the rotation myself, didnt want to be bothered.....So I went to this hole in the wall tire-repair shop that day but the guy that greeted me was a know-it-all that would not even let me finish my sentence and says "You dont need that, You are wasting your money....." And I ask the guy again "Please, just rotate the tires, put the rear tires criss-crossed with the fronts and put the fronts straight to the back." And he refused to do it, says "No, thats not the pattern to rotate tires on a small car like this". So anyways I just left and that why I went home and did it myself.

Last edited by fc321; 07-02-2022 at 11:43 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)