Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi back to profitability

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Just curious, why do you presuppose this particular machine is gonna break? Are these things really known to break down?
    Yes.

Public charging networks are known to be unreliable. That's Tesla's trump card for the time being.

Ford hitched their wagon to one of the public networks, but so many drivers of their Mustang Mach E were getting pissed off at broken chargers that Ford realized they had a problem that wasn't TECHNICALLY theirs, but was hurting their reputation by association.

So they (Ford) put a high profile "charger does not work" button in their infotainment screens to owners could report problems, and the company put the screws to the charging network (threatening to pull out of their partnership unless they upped their repair & reliability.

Interesting investigative article:

Public EV Charging Still Sucks, but Ford Is Working to Fix It

For years, legacy automakers haven’t done much to improve the public charging experience for their customers the way Tesla has.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/public...king-to-fix-it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-20-2022),Fummins (05-17-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Those twitter complaints eh. If 80% of electric vehicle owners have a special charger installed in their garage, then I betcha many owners have a second vehicle for longer trips.

At the same time with people mostly making short jaunts with their cars, electric vehicles make sense for most. (?) It's a strange conundrum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Do 80% of ev owners even have a garage? If they do, do they even have room to park inside? Most people on my street don't even park in their garage. I guess if you owned a bolt you might not want it anywhere near your house until the battery is recalled. Even then, I'd be hesitant....
    What about people in places where houses are unattainable and have to rent or live in condo/apartments with street parking and are stuck having to charge using pubic chargers?

I'm sure an ev would work fine for many. If I had one, I'd have a charger in my garage or where you could charge from the driveway. I just don't drive enough, I can still afford $100-120/month for fuel. If I drove more or drove a hummer(or my truck) as a daily the savings compared to driving an ev would add up pretty fast though. I'm just not sold yet. They're working great for many people. I just don't want to buy a car for $35k+ regardless of how cheap it is to operate for the next 10 years. Mainly I'm just cheap.

I watched a towing comparison between some F150 hybrid(iirc) vs a Rivian. I don't think they even finished the test with the Rivian because the battery died so fast they didn't think they'd make it to beginning. Once solid state batteries or different/cheaper fuels(that don't suck like ethanol) I'll just keep my little turd.

I really wish I kept my Fummins(still thinking of a new username) right about now. It'd be relatively affordable to convert it the old mechanical cummins to run on used french fry oil. The newer ones are far more picky about what you pour in the fuel tank. I've read of people even burning used engine oil in the old ones. Filtered well of course.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-19-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This seems relevant to the conversation: EV vs. ICE with recent increased charging rates.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/e...of-188884.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I really wish I kept my Fummins(still thinking of a new username) right about now. It'd be relatively affordable to convert it the old mechanical cummins to run on used french fry oil. The newer ones are far more picky about what you pour in the fuel tank. I've read of people even burning used engine oil in the old ones. Filtered well of course.
    Even just strained and mixed 50/50 with diesel, the old mechanical 12V will burn it no worries... ask me how I know...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I know there are guys that dump their used engine oil into the Cummins, 12V and 24V (like mine). I just don't see any advantage for doing so. Seems to me to be more disadvantages to advantages...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do 80% of ev owners even have a garage? If they do, do they even have room to park inside? Most people on my street don't even park in their garage. I guess if you owned a bolt you might not want it anywhere near your house until the battery is recalled. Even then, I'd be hesitant....
    That's a good point. Kaboom.

You hear those stories of older folks with quiet-running Lexus left on all night in their garage by accident, and they die in their sleep from the fumes, all the house plants are dead too.

In the war time people powered their cars with coal. Not sure how that was done, but yea can be done.

I think 90% of people use their garages like a storage unit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I still go back and forth over ev's. Yeah, if I had one it would suit 90% of my needs. But they're expensive to buy, I can buy a lot of gas for what any ev costs.

For Suzuki, I thought a lot of the suv stuff crossed over to some gm crossovers but maybe that ended with the old rebadged suzuki sidekick/chevy tracker/gmc tracker/geo tracker/asuna sunrunner/pontiac sunrunner?
    That whole "everyone in the world sells an OEM badged Sidekick" still makes my head spin. My ex described it succintly as "Asuna Walk" . I'm not sure but I think Ingersoll Ont. produced all these things.

As for EV, meh, I'm on the fence. Produce one <$20k and I may bite. Not until. Oh, and I need a 400 mile range.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What about people in places where houses are unattainable and have to rent or live in condo/apartments with street parking and are stuck having to charge using pubic chargers?
    In ontario they passed a law saying that you have a right to install a ev charger at your parking space in a condo no matter how much the condo complains. This also applies to other things that fall under condo laws like a townhouse.

Also im not sure modern synthetic motor oil can be burnt in diesel engines. I think the flash point/burning temperature is too high now a days.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    In ontario they passed a law saying that you have a right to install a ev charger at your parking space in a condo no matter how much the condo complains. This also applies to other things that fall under condo laws like a townhouse.

Also im not sure modern synthetic motor oil can be burnt in diesel engines. I think the flash point/burning temperature is too high now a days.
    Sounds like they have it all figured out then

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)