Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi back to profitability

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    just charge at home... ive never driven farther in a single day than the range of the ****tiest ev on the market, the nissan leaf.
    Yeah, that's not a viable solution. Does the "green new infrastructure" need excuses made for it already? Make the damn things work reliably. Is it really that difficult?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    do you plan on doing all your charging at this public station? waiting an hour every week for the car to "fast" charge?

Im surprised the poverty wagon of the future hasn't made it to the states yet? https://tigorev.tatamotors.com although i guess you do have KANDI motors.
    Name:  tigor ev.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  94.1 KB

I have driven much farther in one go than you have then. The Tigor EV would be a good car for you. From what I understand the Leaf is sold out til after 2023.

If I'm spending over $200 on gas, that's almost as bad as spending big bucks on high interest credit cards. Especially if there is a way to do the same thing for free. I'm not sure I'm there yet or want to invest any money in another car when I'm thinking of other things. But if I was buying a new car tomorrow I would look more in depth with electric.

I guess it's new so needs some of the kinks worked out of it. I think people broke their arms cranking the first gas powered cars

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Unfortunately nothing is free. I use my big scary high interest credit cards all the time. You don’t pay interest if you pay them off on time…

You can buy a lot of gas even at $2/l for what a similar range ev would cost. As in for $45k you could drive 412,500km at $2/l provided you average 600km per tank at 30L fill ups. Something to consider.

I’m now saving my empties so I can afford to go camping this summer. Probably only gonna do two trips with the family at $600 in just diesel each time. Plus another $400 in the trailer fuel tanks for the generator and side by side. If the wife drives her car out again add another $200. So possibly $1200 in fuel to drive 4hrs and drink beer and have a fire. I think fuel prices are officially too high. Good thing I have a diesel…
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-13-2022 at 02:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-14-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh, I have been meaning to buy an old rim for a backyard firepit. With the price of a 12 pack of Labatt 50 and the price to fill up my Mirage, I mostly stay home.

Going to Manitoba for my summer vacation. Flight is $160 return, and airport parking in Hamilton is $130 for the week lol. Car rental is the other thing that's a rip off. 5 days driving around Manitoba along highway 1 and 16 prolly gonna cost me over $100 in gas and 5 times that for the rental fee.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My local county charging station is free so I think I pay for that already with taxes.
    I speculate that that charging station will break down a time or 10. And either the cost to repair it, or for other reasons, that charging station will discontinue to be free.

We have some charge stations here at the Wally World (pay-to-use). Way back away from the entrance. I've not seen a vehicle using them. Not to imply they are not used, just I've not seen it. But I try to stay away from Wally World.

We also have charging stations here at work. Put in just a few months ago. All in the name of research. And yes, we do have some involvement with developing / producing of charging stations. However, the only cars I've seen charging on our stations are owned by the big-boss, the next 1 size smaller big boss, and a Ford eMustang crapper that was procured ... also in the name of research.

As far as I know, charging on these stations here at work, at this time is free to employees. There is NO enticement for me to buy an electric vehicle due to that. And if I were, I'd find a used Chevy Volt. There's a new Chevy Bolt that started showing up about a week or two ago. I have yet to see it on the charger. M.O.F., there was a guy with an Insight, an older one. His Insight was nice. I hope he didn't trade it in on a friggin Bolt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-14-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just curious, why do you presuppose this particular machine is gonna break? Are these things really known to break down?

Honestly, with anything new, I try to have clear glasses on with everything. It's the scientist in me!

Remember the Luddites in Old England, who destroyed the machines that replaced their labour? And their guilds etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Tesla charger network is suppose to be more reliable than the Level 1 and Level 2 chargers.

The quick charge ones apparently are less reliable than the slower charging stations. But like the Forbes' author states, the EV network is comparatively new. They give the example that there are as many EV stations now as the States had in gas stations in 1929.

The 30 under 30 magazine article is very vague and general with their discussion. Not every article you posted no, but wordy without going anywhere. If I had never heard of an EV until today that article would have been rather mesmerizing.

What about the rain? I charge my EV vehicles at work indoors. Has a special charging station about the size of a PC in the 70s

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Just curious, why do you presuppose this particular machine is gonna break? Are these things really known to break down?
    Sorry. I don't mean to imply that they are junk. All machines break down. And charging stations are quite new in the grand scheme of things. And handling the electrical loads that they do is not as simple as it might seem. So, I just think it will break because it is a machine and relatively a new thing. So it won't be as robust as they will be in 20 years time.

Lord forbid someone get roasted on one of these charging stations in some freak accident. Unfortunately, it's bound to happen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-13-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Sorry. I don't mean to imply that they are junk. All machines break down. And charging stations are quite new in the grand scheme of things. And handling the electrical loads that they do is not as simple as it might seem. So, I just think it will break because it is a machine and relatively a new thing. So it won't be as robust as they will be in 20 years time.

Lord forbid someone get roasted on one of these charging stations in some freak accident. Unfortunately, it's bound to happen.
    100% agreed. Or fiery car accident right? Throw a battery into a fire.

Only a few of us at work do the stuff with the EVs. I don't even like plugging it in tbh. Easier now than when you had to winch the old batteries out of the truck every day. Now EV fork trucks are well into their third generation approximately eh.

Propane truck has its own dangers changing that tank.

Conversation would be a lot easier in person buddy cheers eh

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-13-2022)